Turn Signal Controller replacement

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
popotwindy
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Turn Signal Controller replacement

Postby popotwindy » Tue May 26, 2015 8:28 pm

I'm in the process of trying to get my turn signals to work properly. Hopefully the last step in getting this bike done and out on the road.
I replaced the old turn signal controller with a new electronic controller shown here.

With this in place my turn signals work in reverse. Left becomes right, right becomes left. Using the old controller, left is left and right is right but nothing flashes.

I have issues with the rear as well in that they are not coming on at all with either controller. I attached the ground wires directly to the signal housing.

My ground wire is the orange wire.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Last tidbit, on the front bulbs only one element comes on. The one element dims and brightens. The second element never comes on.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Re: Turn Signal Controller replacement

Postby CMReynolds1 » Fri May 29, 2015 11:59 am

You may want to go back to an electromechanical flasher. The electronic may not be acceptable to older units. I would also ohm out your ground circuit from the inside of the lamp holder to the ground screw on the outside. May have an open.
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

popotwindy
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Postby popotwindy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:02 am

Thanks for the reply. I was able to identify the problem. I'm using turn signal stems from a different Honda and the threaded part seems to be too long and was crushing the wires. I cut off some of the thread with a grinder and all is good.

I just started unplugging things until I could isolate the problem. Good old trial and error.

This is a photo of the full thread length and then my shortened version. I believe the stems are from a CB.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:37 am

Good catch, I would of never thought of that!

Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”