Headlight re-wiring

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Hondaline
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Headlight re-wiring

Postby Hondaline » Wed May 27, 2015 10:54 pm

Hi guys. New to this. After 30 years of riding with a windjammer on my GL1000, its time to strip it down and restore it to it natural state. Once I removed the Vetter harness from the original headlight / signal wiring, I find 1 brown 2 blue and 2 orange wires available, all with female connectors to re-connect the front signal lights. Anybody know just how to reconnect the signals? I'm also looking for the tubes to connect the signals to the forks and the headlight ring.

I appreciate your help,
Norm

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Headlight re-wiring

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 28, 2015 8:18 am

Hondaline wrote:Hi guys. New to this. After 30 years of riding with a windjammer on my GL1000, its time to strip it down and restore it to it natural state. Once I removed the Vetter harness from the original headlight / signal wiring, I find 1 brown 2 blue and 2 orange wires available, all with female connectors to re-connect the front signal lights. Anybody know just how to reconnect the signals? I'm also looking for the tubes to connect the signals to the forks and the headlight ring.

I appreciate your help,
Norm

If you click on Manuals at the top of the page, you'll see a document: Honda Goldwing GL1000 1978-1979 Color Schematic

It shows that the light blue/white wire is the front right running light, the solid light blue is the front right turn signal light. Orange/white is the front left running light, solid orange is the front left turn signal light.

Is the brown a solid brown? That's normally the parking light, but shouldn't have a connection up front.

Solid green is always ground - so for instance, the right running light will be from light blue/white to green, the right turn signal will be solid light blue to green.

The headlight low beam is white and the high beam is blue.

popotwindy
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Postby popotwindy » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:27 pm

I just finished the adventure you are just starting. Feel free to send me any questions and I'll gladly share what I know.
I printed a large version of the wiring schematic and that really helped. By large I mean 30" wide large.

Hondaline

Postby Hondaline » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:54 am

I'm not great with schematics but I was muckin' about on the weekend.
Connecting both of the orange wires together and then to a signal light wire and then connecting the second signal light wire to ground made everything work. However, with electricity, just because it works, doesn't mean it's correct! Is this how you believe it should be done? (Or how you did it?)
N

Hondaline

Postby Hondaline » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:56 am

Sorry. The same also applied to the blue side.
N

popotwindy
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Postby popotwindy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:31 pm

If you have the original pigtails on your turn signals, there should be colored rings at the ends of the wires. There will be a blue ring and a blue and white ring for the right side and a orange ring and orange and white ring on the left side.
Those connect into their corresponding harness wires. On my bike there are no blue and white or orange and white wires. There are connector sleeves that are clear or clear and white with either a blue or orange wire coming from them.
I've attached a photo that shows the orange wire and the clear and white sleeve.

I purchased used turn signals and one turn signal was original with the color rings the other was an aftermarket that had a black wire and a red wire.
One way to tell if your turn signals are hooked up correctly is to watch the brightness of the lamps when static versus flashing. The lamp should be brighter when flashing.

Hope this helps some.

Townmember
Motorcycle: 1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000

Postby Townmember » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:27 pm

Hondaline wrote:Hi guys. New to this. After 30 years of riding with a windjammer on my GL1000, its time to strip it down and restore it to it natural state. Once I removed the Vetter harness from the original headlight / signal wiring, I find 1 brown 2 blue and 2 orange wires available, all with female connectors to re-connect the front signal lights. Anybody know just how to reconnect the signals? I'm also looking for the tubes to connect the signals to the forks and the headlight ring.

I appreciate your help,
Norm

Hey Norm, I know this thread was about headlight re-wiring but I thought I'd drop this in here before starting a new thread, also get my first Goldwing docs comment out there! I am coming into possession of what I believe is a 1975 Goldwing GL1000. I also am completely new to the maintenance game and the motorcylce world in general. The bike comes with a Windjammer III on it, and I can't for the life of me find a good video, manual, or breakdown of how to remove the whole thing. Do you think you might be able to give me a rundown of how this thing gets removed?? If not, no worries, I will throw this comment elsewhere! Thanks!

Townmember

Bonestock3
Motorcycle: 1979 Honda GL1000

Postby Bonestock3 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:09 pm

Hey Norm, I know this thread was about headlight re-wiring but I thought I'd drop this in here before starting a new thread, also get my first Goldwing docs comment out there! I am coming into possession of what I believe is a 1975 Goldwing GL1000. I also am completely new to the maintenance game and the motorcylce world in general. The bike comes with a Windjammer III on it, and I can't for the life of me find a good video, manual, or breakdown of how to remove the whole thing. Do you think you might be able to give me a rundown of how this thing gets removed?? If not, no worries, I will throw this comment elsewhere! Thanks!

Townmember[/quote]
wondering if u got closure for this question as i took am looking for answers

Hondaline

Postby Hondaline » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:22 am

Hi. Should be a steel crossmember below and on the front of the bike and a wiring harness inside the fering. In short, if you see something connected to the ferring, undo it ! The hardest thing was getting the headlight assembly apart but there are videos on line for that. Good luck.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”