Help with no compression cylinder.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Daftgav
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000

Help with no compression cylinder.

Postby Daftgav » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:53 pm

Hey all,

I'm a first time poster but I'd just like to thank the people who run the site. The information I've had access to has proved invaluable.

So I picked up a 76 gl1000 year. The Bike has always ran rough ideal but much better in the higher revs. And when the throttle cable snapped on me I figured since the carbs had to come out best to clean and rebuild. Did the timing belt as well.

On 1st start it still could not keep an ideal. But Ran great at higher rpms. Then I discovered that cylinder 3 had 0 I mean nothing for compression. How is this bike running at all? Dove It for 1200 miles around Florida and I'm still riding it. Doing 90 miles an hour still getting 140 miles to a tank. No vibration.

What I'd love to know is how would one go about checking weather this is an issue with the head or the cylinder?

Do look to rebuild the head? or replace the whole engine?

All other cylinders have 120psi

56000 miles on bike

Cheers

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Help with no compression cylinder.

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:21 am

Perhaps a stuck valve? Could be something that just recently arose, because with no compression on one cylinder, you will definitely not be riding around at 90 mph with no vibration.

I have to ask, but you are sure you measured the compression correctly, right? Your gauge was fully seated into the plug hole?

My next step would be to pull the valve cover off from that side, then rotate the engine and watch the valves on the affected cylinder.

Daftgav
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000

Postby Daftgav » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:30 am

Yes I checked it times. The compression on all the other cylinders was good.

When I saw the compression I was getting I took the valve cover of and rotated the engine a few times but couldn't see any thing out of the ordinary.

I guess it must be firing sometimes cuz it's a sweet ride at 90miles an hour.

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:56 pm

Trust us, a Wing doing 90 is not doing it on 3 cylinders with 120psi No way!

Check your compression again. First, make sure that the choke is fully off, on both banks, on all four carbs.

Next, make sure that you have wide open throttle. A Wing with only 56k on it should be showing around 170psi, unless it's been sitting for a long time, in which case it will take some running to get the numbers up.

If you still have a problem, take the inlet manifold off the carb and see if the piston is sticky.

Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”