Driveshaft Joint

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Driveshaft Joint

Postby Solina Dave » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:34 pm

Hi everyone,

For years I've been lubricating my drive shaft joint. For those of you who may be wondering, I'm talking about the one on my '78 GL1000!
I've never, I must admit, fully understood the process. Maybe you can give me your ideas on the matter.
There's several points, for instance, what exactly is the best lubricant to use? Obviously one would use a grease gun, but how do you know when enough is enough? How many pumps? How much do you put in there? It sounds a bit crazy, and a little bit dirty, but if you've been doing it for 35 years or more, where did it all go? How much is really in there? Lol All the Honda shop manual, for a 1978 GL1000, says is to "apply lithium-based multi-purpose grease with molybdenum disulphate additive to the grease fitting". That's not a whole lot of detail.
Any, and all, comments would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Think good weather...........................Dave

"Assume Nothing"

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Driveshaft Joint

Postby redial » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:53 pm

For this type of greasing, you should be using the Moly 60, whether it is from Honda, Loctite, or some other reputable brand. The best way to apply it is to remove the areas and thoroughly clean all surfaces that interface with anything. Cleaning may be achieved with brake cleaner or something similar. You then apply the Moly grease to all of the surfaces.

The advantage of a moly-based grease is that it does not get flung off while doing the work of lubricating. It should be liberally applied, but not too much.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Driveshaft Joint

Postby SnoBrdr » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:57 pm

redial wrote:For this type of greasing, you should be using the Moly 60, whether it is from Honda, Loctite, or some other reputable brand. The best way to apply it is to remove the areas and thoroughly clean all surfaces that interface with anything. Cleaning may be achieved with brake cleaner or something similar. You then apply the Moly grease to all of the surfaces.

The advantage of a moly-based grease is that it does not get flung off while doing the work of lubricating. It should be liberally applied, but not too much.

I agree but in his case and mine, he's talking about the zerk fitting.

I use the same grease I use on my truck's u-joints.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”