Saying goodbye to my first wing.???

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
wieman1304
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000 Goldwing

Saying goodbye to my first wing.???

Postby wieman1304 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:07 am

I'll start off by saying good morning to all. This forum helped me bring my first wing back to life from the dead.. And now I believe she's gone. About three weeks ago, some stupid ignorant bitch with no license pulled out into me and killed my bike. I had two broken ribs, broken clavical, broken scapula and quite a bit of road rash. Finally was able to have a friend help me yesterday and this is what i found. After I laid the bike down it slid into her and where it hit broke the front and back timing cover plates. Timing gear was also cracked. After pulling the covers off yesterday, and rotating the engine to tdc. This is what i found: left side gear is good, Right side gear is 90 degrees off. The key is still in the cam gear, so it didn't just rotate on the shaft. Without pulling the heads, is it safe to say that valves were almost positively bent? Have not done compression test. I need facts that I can relay to their insurance company so they will just total it.
Attachments

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Saying goodbye to my first wing.???

Postby SnoBrdr » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:26 pm

wieman1304 wrote:I'll start off by saying good morning to all. This forum helped me bring my first wing back to life from the dead.. And now I believe she's gone. About three weeks ago, some stupid ignorant bitch with no license pulled out into me and killed my bike. I had two broken ribs, broken clavical, broken scapula and quite a bit of road rash. Finally was able to have a friend help me yesterday and this is what i found. After I laid the bike down it slid into her and where it hit broke the front and back timing cover plates. Timing gear was also cracked. After pulling the covers off yesterday, and rotating the engine to tdc. This is what i found: left side gear is good, Right side gear is 90 degrees off. The key is still in the cam gear, so it didn't just rotate on the shaft. Without pulling the heads, is it safe to say that valves were almost positively bent? Have not done compression test. I need facts that I can relay to their insurance company so they will just total it.

From what you say, it sounds as if the engine got hit bad.

Really can't say for sure without pulling a head.

Glad that you are almost OK.

Bad thing is they probably won't give you what the bike was worth to you in the settlement.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Saying goodbye to my first wing.???

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:36 am

My guess would be that when the impact occurred, the engine was still running. The left timing sprocket was jammed by impact, so either the crank sprocket turned underneath the stationary belt (most likely), or the belt turned over top of the timing sprocket (less likely, as there are more teeth engaged, so more surface area). In either case, the left timing sprocket stopped while the engine continued to turn.

Best case is that you have bent valves on the left side. Worst case...punched pistons and metal sprayed throughout the (running) engine, which is the end of that engine.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. :(

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”