High RPMs at 120 km/h


Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Chpoirier
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:36 pm
Location: Raymond, AB, Canada
Motorcycle: 1979 GL 1000

High RPMs at 120 km/h

Postby Chpoirier » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:34 pm



My 79 GL 1100 runs at about 4500 RPMs at 120 km/h. It sounds like it's begging for a sixth gear. Any ideas why? Need more info? Let me know.

Thanks



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: High RPMs at 120 km/h

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:39 am

That's correct. It sounds like high RPM, but you do get used to it. A sixth gear would probably help on highway fuel consumption, that's for sure. But the bike will run at that RPM all day long without even breathing hard.

sfruechte
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:53 pm
Location: La Crosse, WI
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Re: High RPMs at 120 km/h

Postby sfruechte » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:21 pm

My 77 GL1000 runs 4K at 70 mph (112 km/hr) at 5k at 85 mph (137 km/hr). So you might be a little high. Does it seem like the clutch is slipping at all if you give it power? The only time my clutch has ever slipped is when the clutch cable was getting old and gummed up. (I still have the original clutch with 223,000 miles).

Old Fogey
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:09 am
Location: Glasgow Scotland
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000
Contact:

Re: High RPMs at 120 km/h

Postby Old Fogey » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:00 pm

I hear this all the time from guys that are used to low revving V-Twins. Mainly from the US; never heard anyone from over here, where we are used to the sound of 12K+ straight fours, complain about our bikes.
Look at your rev counter! The red line is 8K.
You are cruising at a little over half it's potential. Also you are on a flat four with almost perfect balance and no vibration, not a teeth-filling loosening vibrating V twin!
These engines love revs. They hate being slogged. I never run mine below 3K and frequently find I'm still in 4th when cruising.
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

User avatar
Solina Dave
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:38 pm
Location: Solina, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Re: High RPMs at 120 km/h

Postby Solina Dave » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:24 am

WingAdmin wrote:That's correct. It sounds like high RPM, but you do get used to it. A sixth gear would probably help on highway fuel consumption, that's for sure. But the bike will run at that RPM all day long without even breathing hard.


Just a little bit off topic here but I'm somewhat confused by a comment made by Randakk concerning fuel mileage and RPM. This is a link to the article, and the section I'm curious about is under "Poor rider technique". http://www.randakksblog.com/fuel-mileage-issues/

This is the statement made: Poor gear selection. “Lugging” in a gear that is too high strains the engine and reduces fuel mileage. Best advice: Keep the revs over 3000 rpms at all times. Save 5th gear for freeway speeds. Running the engine closer to the torque peak (approx. 6,500 rpms on early GL1000s!) is more efficient. These engines thrive on revs!
Lugging the engine, resulting in poorer gas mileage, makes perfect sense. I like to keep the revs on my '78 GL around 4000 to 4500 RPM. Their comment regarding better efficiency at the torque peak of 6500 RPM seems a bit radical for daily use if you know what I mean. Is the point being made that the design of the engine allows it to operate at maximum efficiency when running at 6500 RPM, and subsequently be more fuel efficient. It almost sounds like one should gear way down for better fuel mileage.

I think I'll stay around 4000. Any comment?..................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

sfruechte
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:53 pm
Location: La Crosse, WI
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Re: High RPMs at 120 km/h

Postby sfruechte » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:04 pm

I don't gear down unless I need more power or am going slower than ~50 mph. 5th gear works good and runs smooth at 50, 60, 70 and doesn't lug. 6500 must be over 100 mph, I wonder if the info from Randakk wasn't taken out of context?

Chpoirier
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:36 pm
Location: Raymond, AB, Canada
Motorcycle: 1979 GL 1000

Re: High RPMs at 120 km/h

Postby Chpoirier » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:18 pm

Thanks for all of the responses. Good to know everything's ok. No clutch issues. I appreciate the good feedback.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: High RPMs at 120 km/h

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:12 am

sfruechte wrote:I don't gear down unless I need more power or am going slower than ~50 mph. 5th gear works good and runs smooth at 50, 60, 70 and doesn't lug. 6500 must be over 100 mph, I wonder if the info from Randakk wasn't taken out of context?


I will agree and disagree - agree because running at the torque peak is theoretically the most efficient in terms of fuel potential energy being turned into kinetic energy. However, the higher the RPM, the more power lost due to friction loss internally in the engine. Absolutely do not lug the engine, these engines hate being lugged, and doing so will just guzzle fuel. Believe it or not, the Honda engineers did spend quite a bit of time engineering and designing the drivetrain to make the best, most efficient use of the engine. :)

User avatar
Solina Dave
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:38 pm
Location: Solina, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Re: High RPMs at 120 km/h

Postby Solina Dave » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:58 am

WingAdmin wrote:
sfruechte wrote:I don't gear down unless I need more power or am going slower than ~50 mph. 5th gear works good and runs smooth at 50, 60, 70 and doesn't lug. 6500 must be over 100 mph, I wonder if the info from Randakk wasn't taken out of context?


I will agree and disagree - agree because running at the torque peak is theoretically the most efficient in terms of fuel potential energy being turned into kinetic energy. However, the higher the RPM, the more power lost due to friction loss internally in the engine. Absolutely do not lug the engine, these engines hate being lugged, and doing so will just guzzle fuel. Believe it or not, the Honda engineers did spend quite a bit of time engineering and designing the drivetrain to make the best, most efficient use of the engine. :)


I believe it!!


"Assume Nothing"


Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest