1977 carb removal problems

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Cappy
Motorcycle: 77 Goldwing gl1000

1977 carb removal problems

Postby Cappy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:45 am

Hello All. I did a partial carb removal - just enough to get the carb tops off as per Pistol Pete. In doing so, I must have damaged the coolant pipes as they are now leaking at both elbows. I suppose I will now need to remove the entire carb set up to access the O-ring job on the coolant pipes. Here are my specific questions: (1) Can I disconnect the throttle cables at the carbs without substantially changing the settings. I assume I must loosen the attachment nuts on the cable bracket then slip the pins out of the bell crank. I have the air filter housing out so I can access from the top or sides. There is a DIY on this site but not quite detailed enough for me. (2) How do the coolant pipes disconnect? Are they threaded or press fit? Where can I order o-rings. They were not leaking before I started moving the cabs around. I recently purchased this super-nice bike and don't want to do anything else to harm it. I can definatly do this project with a little advice, but the Honda service manual just does not have quite enough details on these items. Thanks, in advance, for your help.

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Re: 1977 carb removal problems

Postby spiralout » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:20 pm

Cappy wrote:Hello All. I did a partial carb removal - just enough to get the carb tops off as per Pistol Pete. In doing so, I must have damaged the coolant pipes as they are now leaking at both elbows. I suppose I will now need to remove the entire carb set up to access the O-ring job on the coolant pipes. Here are my specific questions: (1) Can I disconnect the throttle cables at the carbs without substantially changing the settings. I assume I must loosen the attachment nuts on the cable bracket then slip the pins out of the bell crank. I have the air filter housing out so I can access from the top or sides. There is a DIY on this site but not quite detailed enough for me. (2) How do the coolant pipes disconnect? Are they threaded or press fit? Where can I order o-rings. They were not leaking before I started moving the cabs around. I recently purchased this super-nice bike and don't want to do anything else to harm it. I can definatly do this project with a little advice, but the Honda service manual just does not have quite enough details on these items. Thanks, in advance, for your help.

It's not necessary to completely remove the carbs to replace the o-rings at the elbow ends of the pipes but when I tried it that way, I caused a leak at the thermostat housing end. I ended up pulling the carbs and replacing all 4 o-rings on the pipes and the gaskets for the elbows on the heads. To answer your questions...
#1 Yes, just loosen the nuts and slip the ends out of the bellcrank. Nothing will change.
#2 The pipes just press in. The OEM o-ring part number is 91301-MB6-003, still available and only a couple dollars each. Order extras because it's easy to damage them on installation. Put the oring on to the pipe, not in the elbow, lube the o-ring a bit,then slip the pipe straight in to the elbow, no twisting. The Honda part # for the elbow to head gasket you'll probably damage when removing is 19429-371-306, still available also.

If you reroute the throttle cables to the outside of the frame, it makes it a ton easier to disconnect them next time around.

Cappy

Postby Cappy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:39 pm

Thanks SpiralWing! Just what I needed to hear. The only thing holding the carbs in at this point is the throttle cables. I'll just remove the carbs to give me better working room to replace the coolant o-rings. I really appreciate your help.

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:59 pm

No problem. Another tip, a 10mm crowfoot wrench is handy for removing the throttle cables. There's not much room to get a normal 10mm in there. With the cables routed on the outside of the frame you can pull them out the left enough to have plenty of access to the jam nuts on the bracket.
Question out of curiosity: Why were you sending the caps to PPS? For polishing or plastic button replacement?

Cappy

Postby Cappy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:55 pm

Pete is replacing a broken carb top "button". He went through the carbs for the PO about 5 years ago.

Cappy

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”