76 GL1000 won't go into gear

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
curlieal
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000

76 GL1000 won't go into gear

Postby curlieal » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:16 am

Recently bought a 76 GL1000 with about 17,000 miles on it. While riding, it suddenly would not shift into 1st or 2nd gear. I tried to get it home in 3rd, but within a mile or so it wouldn't shift into any gears. It just seems like it's in neutral. Could this be clutch plates, coupler gear, transmission, something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 76 GL1000 won't go into gear

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:03 am

When I read "wouldn't shift into first or second gear" I thought immediately "shift fork" - however being that it then wouldn't shift into any gear, I am thinking more shift linkage - somewhere between the shift lever and the shift drum. There are a bunch of levers, springs and ratchets that work to rotate the shift drum one way or the other depending on how you work the shift lever. A lot of them are visible simply by taking the engine front cover off - which does involve some disassembly and replacing a gasket (see How to remove and replace your water pump), but is preferable to the next alternative - splitting the engine case to get to the transmission.

sfruechte
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Postby sfruechte » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:16 pm

Is the clutch dragging? Not disengaging all the way can put pressure on the gears and make them hard to shift. Have you tried with the engine off?

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:07 pm

You say 'it seems like it's in neutral'. So, no matter what you do with the gear lever, the engine will just rev and the bike not move- is that correct?
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

curlieal

Postby curlieal » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:03 am

sfruechte wrote:Is the clutch dragging? Not disengaging all the way can put pressure on the gears and make them hard to shift. Have you tried with the engine off?

The clutch was working fine. Does the same thing whether the engine is on or off, just rolls like it's in neutral.

curlieal

Postby curlieal » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:13 am

Old Fogey wrote:You say 'it seems like it's in neutral'. So, no matter what you do with the gear lever, the engine will just rev and the bike not move- is that correct?

Yes that's right. It was working fine and started this all of a sudden. It would shift into higher gears at first but before I could get it home it would not go into any gear. The gear lever actually "feels" like it goes into 2 gears, but it still won't move. It can be pushed freely no matter what I do with the gear lever or whether the engine is off or on.

sfruechte

Postby sfruechte » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:48 am

If it feels like it is actually shifting into the gears and just not moving it could just be the clutch. I've never experienced a clutch failure and I would expect it to slip first but I imagine it could go all at once too?

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:43 am

It can only be one of 4 things:
1) The shifter mechanism is not actually changing the gears (Possible, but if it's not obviously in the mechanism under the front cover, the cases will need to be split.)
2) Clutch failure ( not likely without it noticeably slipping first)
3) Broken primary chain (not likely and would be noisy)
4) Splines or U/J gone on the drive shaft ( Pull the rubber boot at the swing arm back and check the joint. If that appears ok, run the engine on the centre stand, try for any gear and watch to see if the drive shaft turns. If so, and the back wheel doesn't turn, the splines in the coupler to the rear unit are gone)

Oh, just had another thought. Check the simplest thing first. The gear lever is tight on its splines, yes?
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

curlieal

Postby curlieal » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:04 pm

Old Fogey wrote:It can only be one of 4 things:
1) The shifter mechanism is not actually changing the gears (Possible, but if it's not obviously in the mechanism under the front cover, the cases will need to be split.)
2) Clutch failure ( not likely without it noticeably slipping first)
3) Broken primary chain (not likely and would be noisy)
4) Splines or U/J gone on the drive shaft ( Pull the rubber boot at the swing arm back and check the joint. If that appears ok, run the engine on the centre stand, try for any gear and watch to see if the drive shaft turns. If so, and the back wheel doesn't turn, the splines in the coupler to the rear unit are gone)

Oh, just had another thought. Check the simplest thing first. The gear lever is tight on its splines, yes?

Actually the gear lever feels pretty loose. Makes me think it's the shifting mechanism. I've never gotten into that before. It doesn't look hard, but kind of long and involved.

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:50 pm

Nothing really difficult on the shifting mechanism inside the front cover. It's rare to find anything severely worn on the selector claw and pins. The small springs can get weak and should be replaced while you are in there.
The worry would be if you have a broken centering spring ( the big hairpin spring behind the claw lever). That would mean splitting the crankcases to replace it.

post a picture when you have the cover off.

Image Image

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:56 pm

This also raises the point. If for any reason any of you have to split the cases, always renew that spring as a standard procedure. It's extremely rare to get a broken one, but they do weaken with age and there is NO way to change it once the cases are back together.
Image Image

curlieal

Postby curlieal » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:36 pm

Old Fogey wrote:Nothing really difficult on the shifting mechanism inside the front cover. It's rare to find anything severely worn on the selector claw and pins. The small springs can get weak and should be replaced while you are in there.
The worry would be if you have a broken centering spring ( the big hairpin spring behind the claw lever). That would mean splitting the crankcases to replace it.

WaterPump075.jpg

Will do. I'll try to get into it in the next couple of days. Thank you for your help.

curlieal

Postby curlieal » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:11 pm

WingAdmin wrote:When I read "wouldn't shift into first or second gear" I thought immediately "shift fork" - however being that it then wouldn't shift into any gear, I am thinking more shift linkage - somewhere between the shift lever and the shift drum. There are a bunch of levers, springs and ratchets that work to rotate the shift drum one way or the other depending on how you work the shift lever. A lot of them are visible simply by taking the engine front cover off - which does involve some disassembly and replacing a gasket (see How to remove and replace your water pump), but is preferable to the next alternative - splitting the engine case to get to the transmission.

Hello Wingadmin,
Sorry it took so long to get back and thank you for your response. This took a little while to get to and THEN to get into. Every phillips screw on the engine cover was frozen and had to be reverse drilled out. Worst part is the shift linkage appears to be fine, unless the lower shift mechanism is somehow faulty. So, probably transmission? Thanks again.

curlieal

Postby curlieal » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:19 pm

Old Fogey wrote:Nothing really difficult on the shifting mechanism inside the front cover. It's rare to find anything severely worn on the selector claw and pins. The small springs can get weak and should be replaced while you are in there.

WaterPump075.jpg

Hi Old Fogey,
Finally got it torn apart. Shift mechanism appears to be ok. I think we're talking transmission now. Posted 2 pics in my response to Wingadmin.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:46 pm

Pull loose the boot at the drive shaft and turn the wheel.Does the shaft turn?
The transmissions are near impossible to destroy.A complete loss of all gears and the shifting looks fine?Id be lookin at the output of the transmission...There's even a inspection cover to see it.

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:41 pm

OK, so now you can see if the selector is...er.. selecting.
When you move the gear lever, the claw lever moves either up or down. The hairpin spring brings it to centre each time you release the pressure on the gear lever.
The claw locates on pins behind the plate at the front of the selector drum. It pulls or pushed on those pins to rotate the selector drum. Going from memory, the indent in the front plate is the neutral position.
So you next move the gear lever to check if all that works. There does not appear to be anything wrong , just looking at the picture.
If the selector drum rotates a step at a time as the gear lever is worked, then there is nothing the matter with the selector mechanism.
Time to look else where, if that's the case.
Image Image

curlieal

Postby curlieal » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:06 pm

Old Fogey wrote:
selector.jpg

OK, so now you can see if the selector is...er.. selecting.
When you move the gear lever, the claw lever moves either up or down. The hairpin spring brings it to centre each time you release the pressure on the gear lever.
The claw locates on pins behind the plate at the front of the selector drum. It pulls or pushed on those pins to rotate the selector drum. Going from memory, the indent in the front plate is the neutral position.
So you next move the gear lever to check if all that works. There does not appear to be anything wrong , just looking at the picture.
If the selector drum rotates a step at a time as the gear lever is worked, then there is nothing the matter with the selector mechanism.
Time to look else where, if that's the case.

Gave my bike to a mechanic who promised to work on it but never did. Took me several days to get it back after I figured out he wasn't going to work on it. He also broke my headlight somehow.

The thing about my bike's symptoms is they seem to change. After getting the bike back, the shifting seemed to be working. The selector drum would go into every gear with the bike off. I started the bike for a few seconds to check if it was working. It was at first. It would even turn the back wheel. Then all of a sudden, it would only shift into 1st, 2nd and neutral. Turned the bike off and it's still only shifting into 1st and 2nd. I get the feeling the clutch plates are moving around inside the engine. Sound reasonable? I'm not sure if this means the plates themselves or the clutch basket are bad.

sfruechte

Postby sfruechte » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:13 pm

If the clutch is dragging, not disengaging all the way, it can be hard to shift. Try adjusting the clutch plates.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”