Crossover coolant pipe removal question

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Cappy
Motorcycle: 77 Goldwing gl1000

Crossover coolant pipe removal question

Postby Cappy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:30 pm

While removing the carbs on my new to me 1977, I must have bumped the coolant pipes and thy are now leaking. I just received o-rings and gaskets. Do I need to drain all, or part,of the coolant for this job? Also, can I try to pressurize the system and check my new o-rings before putting the carbs back? Thanks again, in advance, for the help.

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Re: Crossover coolant pipe removal question

Postby redbug » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:12 pm

Drain it completely and flush it out with distilled water, radiator too. Leave dry and install O-rings. Fill with distilled water and pressure up to no more then 13 pounds and check orings and other components
note: those O-rings on the tubes are pia. It would be in your interest to check all hoses, thermostat etc. I removed my hoses and the top one even though it looked good it was dry and brittle on the inside and cracked immediately when I put a little bend wiggle in it. Rode it for a year in that condition and didn't even know it. tuff hose's for sure. Honda anti-freeze is recommended. Personally I recommend a genuine Honda thermostat if needed also. There are no short cuts on cooling systems. Hope this helped. Oh yeah, clean, clean, clean, on those tubes. be sure you torque to specs. swag method is not recommended. Little silicone or ky on those O-rings will help in assembly.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:53 am

Some people recommend vaseline to lube those O-rings before insertion, but like redbug mentioned, the best lubricant you can use that won't harm the O-rings is a water-soluble, glycerin-based "personal lubricant" that you'll find in the "family planning" aisle at the drugstore. Astroglide is my personal favorite, it works very well to reassemble the water pump as well.

Cappy
Motorcycle: 77 Goldwing gl1000

Postby Cappy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:02 pm

Thanks Redbug and Wingadmin. I'll follow your advice and get the job done while the carbs are out. I'm very appreciative of the great people and info on this site

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”