79 GL 1000 parked for 10 years

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Hondanumber3
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000

79 GL 1000 parked for 10 years

Postby Hondanumber3 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:35 am

A month ago, I purchased a 79 GL 1000 that was parked about 10 years ago in good running condition with 21,000 miles on it. One owner who kept good maintenance records that showed it only had 30 miles on the last oil and filter change. Unf
ortunately the owner became ill and later died leaving the bike to his brother who I bought it from. The bike was parked all those years in a garage with a half a tank of fuel in it. I wanted to get the bike running without tearing it apart so here is what I did: I did not want to take the tank off so disconnected the fuel line from the petcock, removed the fuel level float, drained the gas, flushed the tank with water then used a gallon of Evaporust. After the treatment I flushed tank many times using a garden hose in one hole and a large siphon tube in the other hole. I put the water in a tub so I could see when the sediment and rust flakes stopped coming out of the siphon tube. When it was clean, I dried it with a hair dryer then filled it with fresh gas and installed a new Honda fuel filter. I have checked the gas going to the fuel pump and it is clean. Next the throttle was sticking, hard to turn and did not return by itself, the linkage itself was clean but I thought there might be gum on the shafts so I sprayed the outside with carburetor cleaner which solved the sticking problem but blistered some of the paint on the top of the motor before I washed it off. I followed up with WD-40 and the throttle works fine. I took one of the float bowl drain plugs off and gas came out. This is where I think I made a mistake: my thought was since I saw no sediment and the gas was flowing, I could pump some SeaFoam into the carb through the fuel intake line using a squeeze bulb and that would help dissolve any gum and varnish, I did that and let it sit over night. I put a new battery in and I tried starting it, after several attempts where it was flooding because of the bad gas and seafoam and I would take the pulgs out and dry them in between, it started and ran for about a minute then quit. I have had it running for up to 30 seconds by pushing fuel into the carb and I have opened the drains on the bowls twice and they were full of fuel, right now, if I let it sit for a half hour and hit the starter it will fire with a nice sounding varooom then quits. It is more than likely that the carbs are plugged but I was wondering if, before I start looking for a re-builder, is there anything else that I could try that might get it running. I think the fuel pump is working ok but could it be that it is not creating enough pressure? Thanks

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 79 GL 1000 parked for 10 years

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:50 am

Honestly, apart from the fuel issue, if you have hope of riding this bike, do not attempt to start the engine again until you have changed the timing belts! Belts that have sat unmoved for ten years are in a perilous condition - and a broken timing belt will cause significant engine damage.

Hondanumber3

Postby Hondanumber3 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:46 am

Thanks for the advice on the timing belts

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:52 pm

Hondanumber3 wrote:A month ago, I purchased a 79 GL 1000 that was parked about 10 years ago in good running condition with 21,000 miles on it. One owner who kept good maintenance records that showed it only had 30 miles on the last oil and filter change. Unf
HPIM1572.JPG
ortunately the owner became ill and later died leaving the bike to his brother who I bought it from. The bike was parked all those years in a garage with a half a tank of fuel in it. I wanted to get the bike running without tearing it apart so here is what I did: I did not want to take the tank off so disconnected the fuel line from the petcock, removed the fuel level float, drained the gas, flushed the tank with water then used a gallon of Evaporust. After the treatment I flushed tank many times using a garden hose in one hole and a large siphon tube in the other hole. I put the water in a tub so I could see when the sediment and rust flakes stopped coming out of the siphon tube. When it was clean, I dried it with a hair dryer then filled it with fresh gas and installed a new Honda fuel filter. I have checked the gas going to the fuel pump and it is clean. Next the throttle was sticking, hard to turn and did not return by itself, the linkage itself was clean but I thought there might be gum on the shafts so I sprayed the outside with carburetor cleaner which solved the sticking problem but blistered some of the paint on the top of the motor before I washed it off. I followed up with WD-40 and the throttle works fine. I took one of the float bowl drain plugs off and gas came out. This is where I think I made a mistake: my thought was since I saw no sediment and the gas was flowing, I could pump some SeaFoam into the carb through the fuel intake line using a squeeze bulb and that would help dissolve any gum and varnish, I did that and let it sit over night. I put a new battery in and I tried starting it, after several attempts where it was flooding because of the bad gas and seafoam and I would take the pulgs out and dry them in between, it started and ran for about a minute then quit. I have had it running for up to 30 seconds by pushing fuel into the carb and I have opened the drains on the bowls twice and they were full of fuel, right now, if I let it sit for a half hour and hit the starter it will fire with a nice sounding varooom then quits. It is more than likely that the carbs are plugged but I was wondering if, before I start looking for a re-builder, is there anything else that I could try that might get it running. I think the fuel pump is working ok but could it be that it is not creating enough pressure? Thanks

This is a MUST read: http://www.randakksblog.com/starting-a-gl1000-after-a-long-lay-up/

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:53 am

In all honesty, it is most likely that you will have to strip the carbs and rebuild them. The idle circuits are very tiny and clog up easily.

You can either do them yourself using Randakk's kit and very useful video( http://randakks.com/products/gl1000-combo-offer), or ship them to a re-builder such as Pistol Pete (http://www.oldwings.com/)
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

Hondanumber3

Postby Hondanumber3 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:21 pm

Thank you Old Fogey, from one old fogey to another. I looked at the Randakk's kit and video and I think I am going to do it myself. I red his reasoning behind his kit including high quality gaskets and not the needle valves, float valves and other hardware that would not be as high quality as the original and the original most likely only needs cleaning, as my bike only has 21,000 miles on it, I doubt that the needle valves are worn out.

Since I last posted, I have a new development, all of a sudden the starter began to work slower, even with a jump start. I tested my new battery and 5 cells using a cheap ball float tester registered full and one at more than 3/4. Even jumping it with my car battery, it turned over slow. I shorted the posts on the solenoid and it still turned over slow, so I believe it is a starter problem. I removed the starter ( had to take the left exhaust off and one of the studs out to get the bugger out (I saw a guy do it on a 1100 on you tube without removing the exhaust) but my bike seemed to lack 1/32 inch of clearance no mater how I tried) The brushes looked good but the thing I noticed was the bushing in the end cap appeared to be a little egg shaped and I am thinking it let the shaft move off center, who knows, I ordered a new solenoid and am considering an after market starter on Amazon for only $78. I wish I could replace the bushing, I think it would be worth a try.

Thanks for the advice on the kit, I think I will go ahead and order it and the video. I am patient and would like to say I stripped the carbs down and cleaned them myself, put it together and it runs! Probably will replace the timing belts too as suggested by Sno bird.

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:01 pm

With only 21K on them, the carb hardware should be just fine. 125PSI is your best friend with the carb circuits! And an ultrasonic cleaner if you can lay your hands on one.

You will need to synchronise them with gauges when refitted. Do yourself a favour when you order your kit from Randakk. Get a set of his manifold clamps. They can make all the difference to eliminating air leaks from the rubbers.

The guy with the 1100 fooled you. The OEM starter on the 1100 is shorter than the 1000 one. :lol:

Oh yeah one more thing: Randakk goes on vacation on Wednesday for 3 weeks so you need to order today!
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

Hondanumber3

Postby Hondanumber3 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:36 pm

Once I realized my bike was not going to run without taking the carbs off and cleaning them, I purchased the Randaak video and rebuilding kit. I have the rack off and most parts removed and placed in containers divided per carb as instructed in the video. The process has been moving along without any serious hitches, but at this point, I am stuck with a couple of problems. First, I can't budge the primary jets out of the towers, I tried pushing them with a pencil from the other side after soaking them with penetrating oil over night and I am not getting movement. I tried turning one of them with a screw driver, it moved but I distorted the slot on top a little and it did not come out anyway. I am thinking I may have to sacrifice these and punch them out with a metal punch and just get new ones. Any suggestions? Also, I tried to remove one of the idle adjustment screws on the outside of the carb and they are plastic, and the one I tried just turned but did not come out, they are different from the metal ones with springs in the video. I would like to re-use the primary jets but I am thinking I will ruin them getting them out.

I have soaked the small brass jets and parts in carb cleaner and used compressed air to blow them out, I can see through them but the holes in the jet from the center tower is so small I can't see light through it, I think a pin is to thick to push through that hole. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:01 am

DON'T 'sacrifice' those nozzles! Where are you going to get new ones? Honda OEM ones don't exist. You would have to buy Keyster, or the like, kits to obtain these. I had this warning up on the website.
http://www.wingovations.com/gl1000-main ... 4579471123
If they won't come out, the carbs are not clean enough; simple as that. Use your carb cleaner or acetone to soak down the jet tower. It takes time and patience, some times a lot of both!
You can use something to GENTLY tap on them as long as it's softer than the brass, but not too soft that you get stuff stuck in the orifice. I have a length of plastic rod that does the job. If a very gentle tap doesn't start them moving, go back to soaking.

The white plastic pieces on the idle adjustment screws are limit stops, used on the 78-79 versions of these carbs. They prise off to reveal the brass screw underneath. A different black version was used on the 75-77 carbs.

The human eye can detect light through a hole of 10 microns. Your smallest jet is the #35, from the centre of the jet tower; those jets have bigger holes than that, so if you can't see light from a bright light source the jets are still blocked. Which is unlikely. Those jets almost never get blocked. Don't go pushing anything through those jet holes. you are most unlikely to have anything small enough.
Image Image

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:42 am

Old Fogey wrote:If they won't come out, the carbs are not clean enough; simple as that. Use your carb cleaner or acetone to soak down the jet tower. It takes time and patience, some times a lot of both!
You can use something to GENTLY tap on them as long as it's softer than the brass, but not too soft that you get stuff stuck in the orifice. I have a length of plastic rod that does the job. If a very gentle tap doesn't start them moving, go back to soaking.

Couldn't agree more. They will come out but it can take lots of soaking time. I found a plastic toothbrush handle works better for the stubborn ones than a pencil or wooden dowel. Just be patient and please do not destroy any more OEM emulsion tubes.

Hondanumber3

Postby Hondanumber3 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:26 pm

Ok, thanks, I'll be patient and keep on soaking them. Tooth brush handle sounds good, they have been soaking for another 24, I'll try them again tonight, I am not in a hurry.

Hondanumber3

Postby Hondanumber3 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:48 pm

Thanks for the info on the plastic caps on the idle adjustment screws. I am soaking those 10 micron jets in carb cleaner, I did try to push fish line through one and it didn't go, I was thinking of letting my mustache grow longer so I could try to push a course hair through it but I think I will take your word on that they are probably not plugged.

spiralout
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:19 pm

I've used G and B guitar strings to clean jets. Lot's of people warn against putting anything in there but Honda does sell a wire jet cleaning set...

Hondanumber3

Postby Hondanumber3 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:39 pm

I got the plastic caps off the idle adjustment screws and saved them, I see that they will keep dust and dirt out of the port, I'm glad I preserved them. The needle valves are out and I am still working on the primary jets and emulsion tubes. I have had penetrating oil, and also carb cleaner on the tubes for about 3 days now and they are still not coming out. Everything is out except the primary jet/emulsion tubes. Acetone was suggested, I have some, I will probably try putting a few drops down the tower tubes tomorrow, any hazards or cautions other than use sparingly? Thanks

spiralout
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:39 pm

I have no advice on the acetone. I've only alternated PB Blaster and carb cleaner. I feel ya, man. The ones on my '77 carbs were the same way, thought they'd never come out without damage but they eventually did. If you've already gotten them broken down in to pairs and all the other parts out, you can go ahead and boil 'em in distilled water then try the tubes again.

Hondanumber3

Re: 79 GL 1000 primary jets out of carbs

Postby Hondanumber3 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:15 pm

I had a problem getting the primary jets out of my carbs, after days of penetrating oil and carb cleaner, they wouldn't budge. I asked for advice and ,I think, Spiralout suggested boiling the carbs in distilled water. I wasn't prepared to boil them but it gave me an idea and it worked. I got a tea kettle of boiling water and filled a 16 oz measuring cup with water and, one at a time, poured the boiling water slowly over the jet tower and after each tower, turned the rack over (hadn't separated the sides yet) and gently pushed the jets out with my toothbrush handle, and it worked slick on each one of them. When I tried to remove the 5 screws from the plenum halves, they were stuck too. I did the boiling water trick on them to and they came out. I spent days of soaking and pushing on the primary jets with no luck and got through the impasse easy with some boiling water. Thanks for the help on that one. I now have everything disassembled and after I finish the cleaning will start the journey back to an assembled rack to install back on the bike. hope to have that done by the end of the week working evenings. Probably wishful thinking but that's ok.

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:21 pm

Top marks for perseverance!

Glad you got them out. They really can be a total pain.
Image Image

spiralout
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:34 pm

Good deal. When I rebuilt my 764a's, I thought I'd done a jam up job on 'em with carb cleaner and compressed air but decided to boil them anyway. It was amazing the crap, gunk and junk that was in that pot when I got done :o It left a black ring on that pot that I've never been able to scrub off. I recommend you do the same but use a pot you don't care about ;)

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”