Fuel collecting in air chamber after remounting carbs

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Cappy
Motorcycle: 77 Goldwing gl1000

Fuel collecting in air chamber after remounting carbs

Postby Cappy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:16 pm

I recently removed the carb rack on my new( to me) 77 1000 to send the carb "button" to Pistol Pete for repair. I'm new at this and got some great help from you guys. Got everything back together today and it started right up and sounded good - until I noticed about an an eight of an inch of fuel in the intake chamber. (I had not yet installed the air filter assembly) I called myself adjusting one of the floats and may have moved it in the wrong direction. What else could cause this flooding. I sure don't look forward to removing the carbs again. I'm 67 and hope to go for a ride before I'm too old! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Re: Fuel collecting in air chamber after remounting carbs

Postby spiralout » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:16 am

A float could cause that but there's other things that could, too. Plenum gasket, carb to plenum orings, etc. You need to figure out exactly where the fuel is getting into the plenum from. Most suggest laying a piece of paper on the floor of the plenum and checking for where it first starts to get wet. If it starts somewhere in the middle, that points to the plenum gasket and if from one of the sides that would give you a clue as to either the carb to plenum sealing or which float.

Cappy
Motorcycle: 77 Goldwing gl1000

Postby Cappy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:09 am

Thanks Spiralout. That will show me where to start. I didn't break the carbs off the plenum so that makesa stronger case for a float issue. If one is stuck open, perhaps I can try tapping on the bowl. Anyway, thanks for your help.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:18 pm

Cappy wrote:Thanks Spiralout. That will show me where to start. I didn't break the carbs off the plenum so that makesa stronger case for a float issue. If one is stuck open, perhaps I can try tapping on the bowl. Anyway, thanks for your help.

You might also run some SeaFoam thru the carbs.

If a float is sticking you may get lucky using the SF.

Besides its a good product to have on hand.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:41 am

And if you adjusted the float without using a gauge you can guarantee it is off. The float adjustments on these carbs are "critical". They have to be right on. No leeway either direction. Might as well dig in and do it right.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:41 am

dingdong wrote:And if you adjusted the float without using a gauge you can guarantee it is off. The float adjustments on these carbs are "critical". They have to be right on. No leeway either direction. Might as well dig in and do it right.

Tom

No wonder they went to FI.

Wish that was possible to convert, well it prob is but prob cheaper just to buy a FI bike.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”