No vacuum on right bank after carb rebuild

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
RasmusTJ
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000

No vacuum on right bank after carb rebuild

Postby RasmusTJ » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:36 pm

Hi forum!

I'm experiencing an odd thing after rebuilding the carburetors on my '76 GL 1000. When I started it, it climbed up to an idle of 3.000 rpm, which I have read is common prior to synchronizing.

What I find odd is that there is no vacuum on the right bank (no. 1 and 3 - which is the reference carb). This must be what is leading to the high idle, but I can't adjust the reference carb. I've tried spraying starting fluid around the intakes to find leaks with no noticeable difference. Have anyone tried anything similar?

I have of course adjusted the ignition and valves and ensured proper compression etc. prior to start up. As of now I'm afraid I will have to disassemble the carbs once again - even though I don't know what I could have done wrong. The floats are adjusted and there is no overflow. I have set the idle mixture screws 2 turns out.

I am eagerly seeking help, so I am trying to reach out to you experts on the forums where I have previously found great advice.

Thanks in advance,
Rasmus

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: No vacuum on right bank after carb rebuild

Postby Fred Camper » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:46 pm

What do you mean by saying "rebuilding the carbs". These are precision devices and most of us require significant tutoring to get it right. Mike Nixon has an excellent booklet and Randall Washington (Randakk) sells a most excellent rebuild kit and video. If you did not use Randakks kit, then I do believe you may as well start over as his is the only kit known to have the correct parts.

If there was a good less expensive method, I would tell you.

http://randakks.com/products/randakks-own-gl1000-master-carb-overhaul-kit

RasmusTJ

Postby RasmusTJ » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:38 am

Thanks for your answer, Fred. By rebuilding I mean ultrasonically cleaning all parts and replacing the o-rings, gaskets and cut off valve with tour max kits and reusing all original brass parts.

I've used Randakk's articles for the process and feel that I have done my best to do it right. I have previously rebuilt Keihin carbs for the CBs with success.

It can't be true that you can't get it to run right without the Randakk kit, at least I hope so.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 108,900 miles

Postby AZgl1800 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:10 am

I am not familiar with the Tour Max kits for the 1500.

They "might be" okay, but past history has pretty much proven that unless you use Randakk parts on the older bikes, you are wasting your time and money. Randakk is the only acceptable substitute for rubber parts for a Honda.
John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:46 am

Sounds like your idle circuits aren't working (still clogged) and the carbs are running on the secondary circuits. You possibly need to do a mechanical sync to establish an equal starting position on all four butterfly valves. Meaning, using a very small wire under the valves manually set all the valves so that they are at a similar position before you do the gauge sync.

Edit: I can't imagine what kit you used causing this problem.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

RasmusTJ

Postby RasmusTJ » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:01 am

Thanks for the input, guys - I really appreciate it.

I got the wire sync tip from another user, and I will definitely try that out.

I must say that I would be amazed if the (low quality) rubber parts are the reason for this issue - maybe I ultimately have to swallow the bitter pill and buy Randakk's kit (including customs charges to DK :cry:).

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:48 am

I used another kit (don't remember what) to rebuild mine 11 years ago, before I ever heard of Randakk. Still running fine and has never leaked. I did have to replace the float valves with original Honda though. Good luck.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

RasmusTJ

Postby RasmusTJ » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:04 am

Thanks, Tom. I hope I'm as lucky with my kit!

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:01 pm

Honda is the only source of floats I think. How about your sliders, do they move like they are on butter without any source of lube. That too is essential. I would not go out and buy another rebuild kit yet. Know that we know what you did we can offer more input.

RasmusTJ

Postby RasmusTJ » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:41 am

I will check up on the slides today, Fred. I weighed and checked the floats for "shape trueness", so they should be good. I'll report back. :)

aussiegold
Motorcycle: 1975 Goldwing (No 8 to come to Oz )
1976 LTD cleverly diguised as an 81 interstate
1976 LTD.. a feller with 2 LTD's can't be all bad.....

Postby aussiegold » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:13 am

i think you will find that one side of your carb rack is way out of whack. nothing to do with the type of orings you have fitted. i do wish people would stop saying to use a Randakk kit and nothing else.
the randakk kit is a very good option. and is just that. one option. i recently had a carb rack done by PISTOL PETE. he uses randakk kits. the carbs behave beautifully. more to do with workmanship than the kit.
i also have a set on a bike that has Honda parts. these are the best in my opinion. pricey but i consider them best to use. best of luck. :D

RasmusTJ

Postby RasmusTJ » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:11 am

Once again thanks for the input, guys. I will do the bench sync today and I also noticed that 3 out of 4 CV slides moves very poorly although they are clean. I'll investigate the carbs further also. :)

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:30 am

If your slides are sticky, you have found the answer. The guide pins on the slides need to be as shiny as you can get them, and the bore in the caps the same. I use Solvol to polish them, but you need to ensure that all traces of polish are removed.
Your seals will be fine. I will only use Randakk parts in my rebuilds, mainly because experience tells me that all the seals etc are sized correctly and due to the material they guarantee longevity for my customers against the effects of ethanol.

Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”