Timing Help


Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
maintainer
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:39 am
Location: Houston, Texas
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Timing Help

Postby maintainer » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:45 pm



I watched several how to videos on changing the timing belts all were similar with minor personal tweeks.
I choose one, followed it to the letter except I removed my radiator for easier access and now my timing is off a little. It was good and right on with the old belts all marks were aligned.
Now it appears to be a couple of degrees off, the mark I made on the crank moved "slightly" even though I had both cam cogs locked into position with a 19mm socket and clamps thru their holes. My question is how do I get it back in time. I haven't rotated anything yet.


1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Timing Help

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:10 pm

maintainer wrote:I watched several how to videos on changing the timing belts all were similar with minor personal tweeks.
I choose one, followed it to the letter except I removed my radiator for easier access and now my timing is off a little. It was good and right on with the old belts all marks were aligned.
Now it appears to be a couple of degrees off, the mark I made on the crank moved "slightly" even though I had both cam cogs locked into position with a 19mm socket and clamps thru their holes. My question is how do I get it back in time. I haven't rotated anything yet.


It's as simple as pulling the affected belt off the cam sprocket, moving the cam back to where it should be, and reinstalling the belt.

User avatar
maintainer
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:39 am
Location: Houston, Texas
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Re: Timing Help

Postby maintainer » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:43 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
maintainer wrote:I watched several how to videos on changing the timing belts all were similar with minor personal tweeks.
I choose one, followed it to the letter except I removed my radiator for easier access and now my timing is off a little. It was good and right on with the old belts all marks were aligned.
Now it appears to be a couple of degrees off, the mark I made on the crank moved "slightly" even though I had both cam cogs locked into position with a 19mm socket and clamps thru their holes. My question is how do I get it back in time. I haven't rotated anything yet.


It's as simple as pulling the affected belt off the cam sprocket, moving the cam back to where it should be, and reinstalling the belt.


Well I thought so too and tried that.
Evidently I need to pull the valve cover and release the valve spring pressure to move it back a notch
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

User avatar
maintainer
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:39 am
Location: Houston, Texas
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Re: Timing Help

Postby maintainer » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:22 am

Ok, I guess nobody wanted to help or knew how to help.
No problem I got it done, everything is perfectly timed now.
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Timing Help

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:51 am

maintainer wrote:Ok, I guess nobody wanted to help or knew how to help.
No problem I got it done, everything is perfectly timed now.


You didn't wait for much time!! :)

When I had this happen to me, I know it can be tough to turn the cam against the valve spring pressure. I ended up taking a piece of scrap wood and screwing two screws partway into it, a couple of inches apart. I then hooked the screws into the holes of the cam sprocket, and used the wood as a lever to gently move the cam exactly into position against the pressure of the valve springs.

Image

Image

User avatar
maintainer
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:39 am
Location: Houston, Texas
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Re: Timing Help

Postby maintainer » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:01 pm

Yes I know, I was in a hurry and anxious to get it done. I have a whole laundry list of other repairs and maintenance to do on the bike.
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

User avatar
Fred Camper
Posts: 1152
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: Timing Help

Postby Fred Camper » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:52 pm

But the rest of us. now know this trick. I am approaching 5 years on my belts and will need to replace them very soon. Appreciate the timing (lol) of the post.




Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aegeanrider and 1 guest