no power in gears

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
goldfish75
Motorcycle: 1975 Honda GL 1000

no power in gears

Postby goldfish75 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:38 pm

Hi there. I have this beautiful 1975 GL1000 . recently I decided to make it into a cafe racer. I changed the handlebar and went for a test drive just to see how she feels... well, the motor it self sounds great, the ACCELERATION is not there... it feels like my clutch is not releasing all the way. like it's pulled half way in. So if i'm in 5th gear and let say I hit 50mph and I pull on the gas, it would rev up the engine but the bike would just coast like nothing happened.No acceleration... any Ideas? I have plans to continue with her transformation as making a custom cafe seat and some other cosmetic changes, but now this issue is holding me up. Please help as I'm out of Ideas.
Attachments
after the handlebar
after the handlebar

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Re: no power in gears

Postby spiralout » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:28 pm

Clutch cable adjustment is the first thing I'd do. Adjust it so there's between .2" and .6" of freeplay at the outer end of the lever. Second thing I'd do is put the original bars back on, but that's just me ;)

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:31 am

The clutch cable route has changed with the new bars. Check the routing for tight bends/kinks.

Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

goldfish75

Postby goldfish75 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:09 am

the cable is a longer now but I didn't think that would make a difference but def will look to replace it. I think it's time for a new one anyways. no kinks or bends as far as I can see but again... the cable is a lot longer now so after replace I will post about the outcome.... bar stays :) LOL thanks for the input

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:08 pm

The cable being to long now demands that it be bent sharper and in more places. When you bend a cable, one side of the outer cable MUST expand at each bend, and the sharper the bend, the more expansion. Although only 1 side of the outer cable expands, it has the effect of the whole outer cable expanding. So as a result of more sharper bends, your outer cable is now slightly longer (hope that made since), thereby making it out of adjustment-too tight!!!!-and it's not releasing the clutch. A cable that's too long, even adjusted, often seems not to work exactly right.....and yeah....Change"em back...
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:22 pm

Cables can be shortened but no reason to shorten an old failing cable. Better shorten a new one. These girls have a weak clutch so it could also be the end of useful grip. So be ready to do both shorten the cable first, then maybe change the clutch. A clutch change can be done without engine removal.

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:41 pm

Hard to believe you built a nice bike like this and are having an issue with a clutch cable
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

spiralout
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:03 pm

Dogsled wrote:Hard to believe you built a nice bike like this and are having an issue with a clutch cable

No way OP built that bike, guarantee it was bought or inherited that way. I guess it's not too much of a sin to chop it up further, it already has the wrong lights, exhaust, master cyl, seat, wheels, etc.

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:11 pm

Well that explains why you may not be able to figure out the problem.........as they say in the UK 'cheerio' and good luck on your venture
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

Ncscooter
Motorcycle: 77 GL1000
76 CB400F

Postby Ncscooter » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:23 pm

Not a big fan of the bars either, but you like 'em and it is your bike. Try to adjust the free play as above, it is probably too tight now. Start at the clutch end by loosening the lock nut and turning the cable/nut CW until you get free play at the handlebar end. Lock that end up and do the fine adjusting at the lever end. If the free play is already correct, you may need to replace the clutch. I have not performed this; refer to the shop manual. http://goldwingdocs.com/HelmManual.asp?SKU=6137102 or http://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/g ... um_id=1116
Keep your expectations tiny and you won't end up so whiny.

goldfish75

Postby goldfish75 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:57 am

spiralout I did build it, and the problem wasn't as bad as I thought with the power. I did make some changes to it as well... yes spiralout I MADE THE CHANGES. All the power problem was is the cable was hunk up on the frame not letting it fully engage the gear. so I rerouted it. Thanks for the help everyone i thought I had a bigger problem but I guess I was just wasn't paying attention to a small things.
Attachments
after the build
after the build

spiralout
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:12 pm

goldfish75 wrote:spiralout I did build it, and the problem wasn't as bad as I thought with the power. I did make some changes to it as well... yes spiralout I MADE THE CHANGES. All the power problem was is the cable was hunk up on the frame not letting it fully engage the gear. so I rerouted it. Thanks for the help everyone i thought I had a bigger problem but I guess I was just wasn't paying attention to a small things.

You forgot to put the rear fender back on....

spiralout
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:11 pm

Thanks about the hammers. I like this avatar better than my old hammers.
I guess there's a possibility that you spent the time and money to restore that '75 to sort of period correct with mix/matched parts from the era, airbrushed it and all, then changed your mind and decided you wanted to spend the time and money to make it a "cafe racer" instead, like a lot of non-wingers who happen to come upon a classic, by installing those bars, seat and getting rid of the rear fender along with the other mods you did to it but I seriously doubt it.
I can't tell from your pic but I'm hoping you didn't chop off the rear of the frame like almost everyone who wants to make a classic bike into something cool, does. :cry: :cry:

But, if it is the case, that you did restore that bike, seems like you'd known you had a clutch cable issue and wouldn't have had to ask for help ;)
On a non-sarcastic note, nice photography. Your "after" pic looks like some kind of "miniature" filter. Very cool

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:47 pm

spiralout wrote:Thanks about the hammers. I like this avatar better than my old hammers.
I guess there's a possibility that you spent the time and money to restore that '75 to sort of period correct with mix/matched parts from the era, airbrushed it and all, then changed your mind and decided you wanted to spend the time and money to make it a "cafe racer" instead, like a lot of non-wingers who happen to come upon a classic, by installing those bars, seat and getting rid of the rear fender along with the other mods you did to it but I seriously doubt it.
I can't tell from your pic but I'm hoping you didn't chop off the rear of the frame like almost everyone who wants to make a classic bike into something cool, does. :cry: :cry:

But, if it is the case, that you did restore that bike, seems like you'd known you had a clutch cable issue and wouldn't have had to ask for help ;)
On a non-sarcastic note, nice photography. Your "after" pic looks like some kind of "miniature" filter. Very cool

Dear God man, are you always so brutal at 10 past 4 in the morning? :shock:
Seems you should have gone back to bed and got out the other side!
The guy simply asked for some ideas and you get stuck in and rubbish him and his bike. Uncalled for in my opinion.
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

Ncscooter
Motorcycle: 77 GL1000
76 CB400F

Postby Ncscooter » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:36 pm

Really. That kind of negativity detracts from an otherwise helpful and friendly forum. Hope you feel better soon.
Keep your expectations tiny and you won't end up so whiny.

goldfish75

Postby goldfish75 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:24 am

yea no kidding. Well here the story. I bought the bike fully restored like I showed in the pic because I was looking for a nice old dependable bike to revise and build into a cafe racer. now everything I did i made sure that can put back to original state if that ever came down to it but I doubt it. I love this bike and I made it the way I wanted to be. So while I was taking it apart to make the seat for it because I made it from plywood and fiberglass when I put the tank covers back on I pinched the cable. If you know these bikes you know that the cables and wires on them are a nightmare if you not used to work on them. This is not my profession, i'm not a mechanic or a builder. Simply was just asking for suggestions to what could be the issue. Lot of you helped and I appreciated. I wasn't careful enough when I put it all together. But to be this ignorant like spiralout it is uncalled for. You my friend do not belong in a forum where people might ask for help. If you have nothing nice to say don't say nothing at all. And if you don't like my bike that's not a big deal. I will never ask you to ride it. You have your own I'm sure it's nice and comfy with all the side bags and radio... but see to me it's not at all appealing. But you don't see me putting you down for it. So a word of advice to you. Go for a nice long ride with some friends and clear your head. It works for me all the time ;)

spiralout
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:43 am

Seems there was a post deleted where you were calling me a **** or something..
Okie Dokie.
If you scroll up, I was the first one to tell you it was your clutch cable. I did mention that I'd put the original bars back on but that's just my opinion (which I think I'm not alone in). We're all entitled to our opinions, right?

Dingdong said, in other words, that's it's unlikely you built this bike and didn't know that your problem was the clutch cable, I agreed and said you probably bought or inherited it that way (meaning as nice shape as it was in).

You responded that you did build it and that just weren't paying attention to the small things.

I pointed out a "small thing" you forgot, the rear fender. I was insinuating that I didn't care for what you were doing with the bike. It is your bike and you can do whatever you'd like to it, though. This was kind of uncalled for from me and I wouldn't have said that but you'd just responded insisting that you built this (which I could tell was bs).

You called me a **** in and made a sarcastic comment about my avatar in your deleted post.

So I responded with this
spiralout wrote:Thanks about the hammers. I like this avatar better than my old hammers.

which is saying that I still don't believe you about the fact that you built this bike and I think your got it that nice and decided to chop it up
goldfish75 wrote:spiralout I did build it...

Your next post you called me ignorant after admitting you were full of bs and didn't build this bike, you bought it that way.
goldfish75 wrote: I bought the bike fully restored like I showed in the pic because I was looking for a nice old dependable bike to revise and build into a cafe racer
Looks to me like we were correct the whole time.
goldfish75 wrote: But to be this ignorant like spiralout it is uncalled for. You my friend do not belong in a forum where people might ask for help.

Scroll up, I was the first to tell you what your problem was.
Apologies if your feelings got hurt, but I'm one who calls bs when he sees it.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:27 am

Dingdong wrote:Dingdong said, in other words, that's it's unlikely you built this bike and didn't know that your problem was the clutch cable, I agreed and said you probably bought or inherited it that way (meaning as nice shape as it was in).

Wasn't me (dingdong) who wrote that. No way no how. Not getting into this.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

spiralout
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:53 am

Ya, that should have read Dogsled instead. :oops: :oops:

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”