starter keeps turning!!!

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
chopperjoe
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

starter keeps turning!!!

Postby chopperjoe » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:18 am

Hi, i bought this 1978 GL1000 in UGLY condition for a father/son project after my sons CBR1100xx was stolen. It turned out to be a really fun bike and he has enjoyed it until recent times! it seemed a coil went bad, and he replaced it with an EBAY used item... it fired right up and he took off! He failed to tell me he lost one of the coil bolts and so it bounced around and shut off and in attempts to make it home he kept having to restart the bike! well at one point it quit trying to restart! i went and picked it up and brought it home tightened up the coil, hooked all the wires up tight and the bike fired up. the only thing is the starter keeps turning! shut the bike off and switched it back on starts up and starter keeps turning! unplug the excite wire to the solenoid and it quits... trace that and find that if you switch the bike on and turn the run switch to off it starts spinning and continues until you switch off ignition? I cannot find any melted wires. I did replace the solenoid mainly because everyone kept saying to! any ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Re: starter keeps turning!!!

Postby Maz » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:40 pm

Sounds like either the contacts behind the starter button have stuck or switch internals have failed, or the wire to the solenoid is constantly shorting to 12v somewhere along its route. The kill switch won't disable the starter , it just cuts power to ignition system.
Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

chopperjoe

Postby chopperjoe » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:42 pm

thamks for your reply! i actually found another thread you posted on about the wiring and it helped me also! i have tested the start button with a meter and it appears fine! the 3 position off-run-off switch is good, but if you switch the bike on with the key, do not press the start button and move said switch to the off position the starter starts spinning? you have 2 small wires that hook to the solenoid orange and white and green and orange... the green and orange wire has faint power to it all the time with the bike switched on. according to what i have read it should not! i beleive this is my problem, but cannot find where or why!

Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:01 am

Ok, that's an odd one!
The Green/Orange should go to ground via any safety switches (eg clutch switch, neutral switch) and the Orange/White should carry 12v only when the 'Start' button is pressed. How many volts is "...faint power" on the Gr/Or wire?
The off-run-off switch should be totally separate from the start circuit, as all it does is interrupt the power feed to the coils (Black 12v wire into the switch and Black/White wire out of switch to coils). It definitely sounds as if a wrong connection has been made somewhere. I think you are going to have to start visually tracing all of the wires for ignition and start circuits and check volts as you go, with a meter. Bear in mind things are a little tight around the coil area and it's possible you may have disturbed something whilst replacing the coil or while it was 'flapping around' loose. Keep us updated......I'm intrigued.

Maz

chopperjoe

Postby chopperjoe » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:07 am

well I made it back out to the shop, the solenoid my son put on did not look like the original so i ordered the correct one. Got it on there and hit the key...it immediately started spinning ....and would not stop! I grabbed my 10mm and went to unhook the battery and ripped the entire post off the battery! Yay me! so i rolled it back in its resting spot and closed the shop back up! guess my new solenoid is stuck! i will purchase another battery, replace the solenoid again, and try again!

Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:14 am

I can't believe the new solenoid is stuck. Reading back through this thread, it appears that everything was ok until you replaced a coil mounting bolt. I think you could do worse than go back to the coil mounting area and check/double check all the wiring nearby. Check for wires trapped by the mounting bracket etc. Does the starter stop spinning when you unplug the smaller wires to the solenoid? If so, check for volts across these wires and work back towards the start button from there.

Maz

chopperjoe

Postby chopperjoe » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:37 am

i had to push it to the side for a bit, and get through Christmas... checked the new solenoid a it is stuck, took the coils back off and nothing is pinch, couldnt find any wires pinched or any signs of melted or burnt wires... i have to go pick up a new Battery and i am going to order a better grade of solenoid and i guess go from there! the bike WAS running really well until the coil change...

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”