Dyna ignition setup

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Krussty76
Motorcycle: 1976 Gl1000

Dyna ignition setup

Postby Krussty76 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:43 pm

I had been following the new guide that Randakk suggests for setting up the timing for the dyna ignition. But I'm haging an issue where my 12v test light literally stays on all the time in both wires. I also checked voltage and both wires are constantly getting voltage no matter the location of the engine marks.

Does anyone have an idea on what I'm missing? I should note my bike is still in mostly pieces with minor electricals not connected.

Thanks guys.

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: Dyna ignition setup

Postby Fred Camper » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:38 am

Sure seems that something is wired wrong. I have the same ignition system and mine was never like that. So wires must somehow be wrong iI think.

maintainer
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Postby maintainer » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:05 am

Recheck the basics, primary wiring to coils, bullet connectors etc. and compare them to the wiring diagrams.
I just did a new Dyna S install on my project bike and it is fresh in my memory.
One thing that "can" mislead you is the vague instruction sheet that should be more model specific.
The signal or electrical pulse is longer than I expected but should go off after some rotation.
If your test light stays on throughout a complete engine revolution there is a wrong connection made some where.
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

Krussty76

Postby Krussty76 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:11 pm

Yeah I initially thought I had something hooked up weird or my ground on the bike wasn't working so it was using my bulb to ground. But I don't know that it is the case. My tiny 12V bulb starts smoking after I leave it on for too long, that's where my ground concerns originated.

I rechecked my wiring, but really installing the coils is pretty idiot proof, I thought. I got my blue into blue, yellow into yellow. One on each coil, instructions say the connection locations do not matter for these primary wires to the coils so I put them in the front and the B/W wires in the back. I connect my b/br wires together that would normally connect to the resistor. Then I have my ignition connected into corresponding colors with the red going to my blinker relay for 12v as it suggested.

Fred Camper

Postby Fred Camper » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:53 pm

Best to disconnect the battery and use the ohm on the voltage meter to follow the wires to insure the blue and yellow are really hooked up correctly. Best I can suggest.

Krussty76

Postby Krussty76 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:27 pm

Should blue and yellow be getting voltage full time?
Should black/white have power full time?
Is it possible to have these flipped around on the dyna coils? The instructions say the polarity doesn't matter.

The run/off switch seems to disconnect the circuit as it should.

Just trying to learn, but the b/w wire supplies power and the blue and yellow wires only single when to pulse, correct? So the b/w should always be hot when switched into run and the blue/yellow never until they are signaled by the ignition with it's 12v being from the blinker relay only?

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:11 am

Hi Krussty,

the Bk/Wh wire should always show 12v when the ignition is on and the run switch set to 'Run'. The Bl and Yl wires are grounded by the ignition system (points or electronic). This grounding completes the coil circuit and allows it to charge. The spark is produced when the ground is removed (ie points open). If you connect a meter between ground and either the Bl or Yl wire coming out of the coil, with the Dyna disconnected, you will register some voltage, which will be the 12v coming from the Bk/Wh wire VIA the resistance of the coil. The Bl and Yl wires coming out of the Dyna, should be ground, until the point where a spark is required, when they should show open circuit.

Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

Fred Camper

Postby Fred Camper » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:50 pm

Just posting the wiring once again.

Ncscooter
Motorcycle: 77 GL1000
76 CB400F

Postby Ncscooter » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:25 pm

Krussty76 wrote:Yeah I initially thought I had something hooked up weird or my ground on the bike wasn't working so it was using my bulb to ground. But I don't know that it is the case. My tiny 12V bulb starts smoking after I leave it on for too long, that's where my ground concerns originated.

I rechecked my wiring, but really installing the coils is pretty idiot proof, I thought. I got my blue into blue, yellow into yellow. One on each coil, instructions say the connection locations do not matter for these primary wires to the coils so I put them in the front and the B/W wires in the back. I connect my b/br wires together that would normally connect to the resistor. Then I have my ignition connected into corresponding colors with the red going to my blinker relay for 12v as it suggested.

Are you talking about the condensors, up by the battery? There are 2 of them that look like one perhaps. Anyhow, if you connected these wires that are piggybacked onto the points wires, that's your problem. Leave those wires disconnected and protected so they don't short. Originally they were female bullets with a covering.
Keep your expectations tiny and you won't end up so whiny.

Mean Wing
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda GL1000 (K3)
2002 Honda GL1800

Postby Mean Wing » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:39 pm

I'll apologize up front, that I can't offer any assistance in this thread, but the subject matter is spot on. I'm a new '78 GL 1000 owner, with little to no mechanical or automotive skills, and my vintage machine has these Dyna S coils (see pic). At the risk of appearing clueless, are these coils after-market components? If so, what factory component did they replace (i.e., what was stock on my '78)? In addition to providing the "spark" for the spark plugs, do they serve any other purpose? Any tutoring would be greatly appreciated . . . :oops:
Attachments
Dyna S Coil
Dyna S Coil

Ncscooter
76 CB400F

Postby Ncscooter » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:00 pm

Here's a fairly straight forward explanation of ignition systems. http://classicmotorcycles.about.com/od/ ... ystems.htm Your Dyna system is an electronic upgrade from the points system originally on the GL1000. Original coils were black and were replaced by those coils and the points located at the rear of the left cylinder head were replaced by an electronic unit.

Mean Wing
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda GL1000 (K3)
2002 Honda GL1800

Postby Mean Wing » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:24 pm

Ncscooter,

I certainly appreciate the link and explanation! Your contribution has made me a bit smarter today! I had this hunch that my GL had an electronic ignition (because of the Dyna S Coils), but you've just confirmed it. Though I've done a lot of work on this motorcycle, I did not mess around with the ignition system (since there were no problems), and did not peak to see the lack of traditional points. Everyday I learn a little more about this fun machine . . . :D

Thanks!

Doug T
Motorcycle: 1976 GL 1000 Goldwing Honda

Postby Doug T » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:36 am

Where does the Black/white wires connect to? resistor? One guy on here said he hooked these together which I`m not sure of. And do you put the resistor {white thing with black wires coming from the top and bottom}I think back on? Mine does fit on the Dyna coils? Thanks for any HELP. Have a Great Day.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:02 am

Doug T wrote:Where does the Black/white wires connect to? resistor? One guy on here said he hooked these together which I`m not sure of. And do you put the resistor {white thing with black wires coming from the top and bottom}I think back on? Mine does fit on the Dyna coils? Thanks for any HELP. Have a Great Day.

You can download the instructions from the Dyna site and they also offer email support.

Ncscooter
76 CB400F

Postby Ncscooter » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:18 pm

What SnoBrdr said. Dyna supplies a resistor with the ignition, if you're using oem coils, but if you're using Dyna coils too, no resistor is required, I think. Check their website!

Doug T

Postby Doug T » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:32 pm

I bought the Kit with Coils ,wires and the module but didn`t take enough pics of it as to where the Black/white wires join/connect. I know where the Blue and the Yellow wires connect to. I believe there is 3 black wires. 2 black wires and 1 that has a white stripe on it and that's where I got confused. Any Help would be appreciated.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:46 pm

Doug T wrote:I bought the Kit with Coils ,wires and the module but didn`t take enough pics of it as to where the Black/white wires join/connect. I know where the Blue and the Yellow wires connect to. I believe there is 3 black wires. 2 black wires and 1 that has a white stripe on it and that's where I got confused. Any Help would be appreciated.

You appear resistant to going to the Dyba website.

No idea why.

http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5614

Read that.

Doug T

Postby Doug T » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:56 pm

Thanks for the info Snobrdr and I finally got around to getting in touch with Dyna and thet said to connect the Black wires. But didn`t say where or to each other. I sent them that Question and others. Like which one is coil 1 when they are pointing downwards? top or bottom? I would assume top one but not %100 sure. Thanks for all replies and thinking I might be riding soon. In the mean time I will wait for replies.

Doug T

Postby Doug T » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:36 pm

Well got the Bike to turn over and revs to 3rpms and just dies right out! Now what? Thanks for any Help.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”