battery trouble

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
firagate
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000

battery trouble

Postby firagate » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:54 pm

ok so im back aging im having a problem with my battery at least i hope its my battery ok so i can get the bike running ok and everything as long as the battery charger is on on 125 engine start but if i remove the battery charger the bike automatically dies
the same goes with another problem where i can have the battery charger hooked up on engine start and turn the radiator fan on and it wants to die
is this my battery of is it something worse ? :|

bill55
Motorcycle: 1982 aspencade

Re: battery trouble

Postby bill55 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:35 pm

It sounds to me like your battery is bad. I'm not sure what type of battery charger your using but it sounds like it is for a car battery. I might be wrong but I don't think they make bike battery chargers with a start engine mode. If the charger is for a car battery, stop using it. It puts out too many amps for a motorcycle battery. It will ruin a good battery, possibly ruin wiring and possibly ruin your stator.
Get yourself a new battery and charger made for motorcycle batteries.Put the battery on the trickle charger over night before putting the battery in the bike. A trickle charger is best and no more than 2 amps.
You can use a car to jump start your bike but it is very important that the car is not running when you jump start a bike. A running car will put way too many amps into your bike battery.
Start with a fresh fully charged battery, put it in the bike and then see what happens. If you still have the same problem, then the problem is something else. But I have a feeling your problem is the battery. I hope you didn't cause more problems by using that charger.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: battery trouble

Postby harvey01 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:45 pm

If you have a voltmeter/multimeter you might check the battery with no load and then again when trying to start the Wing. If this is not possible pull the battery and take it to an auto parts store that can run a load test. That will tell you if you want to junk the battery or not.

If battery is bad, I would suggest replacing with a YUASA that is the correct size and type for your Wing. You can go to: http://www.yuasabatteries.com/ and find out the correct battery. They also have a great technical manual you can download to learn about batteries.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”