Rear brake not working

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
79wingman01
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000

Rear brake not working

Postby 79wingman01 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:33 pm

Hello. I have a big rear brake issue. My rear brake doesn't seem to work at all. When i push it down the bike will still roll freely. The only master cylinder I could find in on the right side under the cover. It is full of fluid. The front brakes work fine. The bike has sat in the previous owners garage for 3 or 4 years with out being rode. Is it possible the brake fluid has went bad?

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Re: Rear brake not working

Postby wingman12 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:53 pm

Good evening 79wingman01, I am going to say your rear caliper is not working because the master cylinder needs cleaning (possibly rebuild) but more than likely the pistons in the caliper are stuck and will properly need to be rebuilt and brake system flushed. :D :D

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:43 am

Yup the brake fluid is hydrostatic, so it retains water and let's that water cause corrosion all those years. I too would start with the caliper rebuild. The master is not as likely to be the issue after sitting. Of course the mechanical pedal linkage needs to be good also.

79wingman01

Postby 79wingman01 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:12 am

Wouldn't the pedal have tension on it if the caliper were seized up? The pedal has absolutely no tension. The spring that attaches the pedal to the master cylinder seems to be fine. It pulls down on the master cylinder when you push the pedal. I think I'm going to try to bleed out all the old brake fluid first. That should tell me if the caliper is moving, correct? Is that master cylinder for both the front and back brakes? Does it take dot 4 fluid? Thank you guys for your advice.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:43 pm

79wingman01 wrote:Wouldn't the pedal have tension on it if the caliper were seized up? The pedal has absolutely no tension. The spring that attaches the pedal to the master cylinder seems to be fine. It pulls down on the master cylinder when you push the pedal. I think I'm going to try to bleed out all the old brake fluid first. That should tell me if the caliper is moving, correct? Is that master cylinder for both the front and back brakes? Does it take dot 4 fluid? Thank you guys for your advice.

It came with Dot 3 from the factory.

You can use Dot 4 but mixing it isn't a great idea cause of the different boiling point.

The rear master works only the rear brakes.

It could also be that the rear brake hose has collapsed and no fluid can pass thru it.

It's worth it to rebuild both the master and caliper and get a new stainless rear hose.

If you don't need to replace any pistons the whole job can be done with about $100 USD in parts and a few hours time.

If you have never rebuilt a rear master there's a couple of things to make sure you do.

Rear/watch the tutorials on it.

This is on of the best: http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2717

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:36 pm

Snowbird nailed it once again. Fully agree.

79wingman01

Postby 79wingman01 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:42 pm

Do they sell a direct fit stainless rear brake line?

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:50 pm

79wingman, try this link, I think they will have what you are looking for. http://www.h-e-lusa.com/
:D :D

SnoBrdr

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:11 pm

79wingman01 wrote:Do they sell a direct fit stainless rear brake line?

I got my set from Randaak.

But there are others.

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:51 pm

SnoBrdr wrote:
79wingman01 wrote:Wouldn't the pedal have tension on it if the caliper were seized up? The pedal has absolutely no tension. The spring that attaches the pedal to the master cylinder seems to be fine. It pulls down on the master cylinder when you push the pedal. I think I'm going to try to bleed out all the old brake fluid first. That should tell me if the caliper is moving, correct? Is that master cylinder for both the front and back brakes? Does it take dot 4 fluid? Thank you guys for your advice.

You can use Dot 4 but mixing it isn't a great idea cause of the different boiling point.

It could also be that the rear brake hose has collapsed and no fluid can pass thru it.

It's worth it to rebuild both the master and caliper and get a new stainless rear hose.

If you don't need to replace any pistons the whole job can be done with about $100 USD in parts and a few hours time.

If you have never rebuilt a rear master there's a couple of things to make sure you do.

Great advice on the break repair but, you lost me on the "boiling point"-how does that relate?.....just curious.
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

SnoBrdr

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:12 pm

f1xrupr wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:

Great advice on the break repair but, you lost me on the "boiling point"-how does that relate?.....just curious.

It's cited as one of the big differences between DOT 3 to 4.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”