transmission stuck in gear?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
79wingman01
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000

transmission stuck in gear?

Postby 79wingman01 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:22 pm

I searched for this to no avail. Was starting the bike to spray carb cleaner down in the intake to see if I could get some of the gunk out without breaking anything down yet. It was in neutral when I started cranking it and it didn't fire at first so I sprayed starting fluid down in it to try to give it a boost. When I pushed the starter button the bike lunged. The neutral light was on. I clicked the shift to verify that it was in neutral but it still lunged. The only way to get it to start without lunging is to hold the clutch in. I bought this bike cheap and now I know why. The starter was out. Fixed that. The wiring is still a mess. Working on that. Had bad gas in it. Fixed that. Back caliper is froze or master cylinder is needing rebuilt. Haven't got to it yet. 14000 original miles and this bike is a basketcase. I'm about to say the hell with it and sell it and pretty much lose my ass on it. It seems everytime I take a step forward, bike bike takes three backwards. Help me guys. Please.

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: transmission stuck in gear?

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:29 pm

Put the bike on the centre stand then rock the back wheel forward - if it wont turn, then wiggle your gear selector up or down until it shifts into neutral - and the rear wheel turns freely. I would first attempt to shift it downward until you cannot select or feel further gear movement, then continue to wiggle while lifting the shifter with slight pressure upwards to select neutral. Hope that helps.

79wingman01

Postby 79wingman01 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:45 pm

Thank you. I'll give it a shot.

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:33 pm

If you are new to motorcycles, this may help....while holding light steady pressure on the shifter, moving the back wheel forward and backward will allow the gears to mesh together (teeth fit between each other). Also, that bike has obviously been setting a LOT, and the tranny might be stuck. You might try filling the gearbox completely up with kerosene and let it set a few days. Also, the neutral light may be giving you a false reading somehow.
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

79wingman01

Postby 79wingman01 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:20 am

Thank you f1xrupr. Is the transmission and engine oil all together, meaning is there separate compartments? Or does the engine have its own drain and fill and transmission have its own drain and fill? I am extremely new to motorcycles. I've turned wrenches on cars for years but they are different beasts for sure. I'm stumped as to why the Trans would do this all the sudden. I had it running and idleing a week before and no Trans issue. I loved this bike from the moment I seen it sitting there and would love to get her straightened out.

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:02 am

It's all one reservoir. Might examine the shift lever itself, and see if something is obstructing its movement. Try not to get too aggressive with the shift....I mean, it's foot operated so it's strong, but, no hammering or cheater bars....
There is a round plug in the top of the crank case about the size of a quarter, and takes a large straight screwdriver to turn (under the carbs). If you want to overfill the case, that will do it, but be careful-it will make a huge mess-fill the cylinders, runs all down the exhaust-then you must remove sparkplugs and turn engine over....kerosene goes everywhere....mess!...big mess!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:35 am

Since this bike is new to you, have you checked and or changed the oil yet?
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

79wingman01

Postby 79wingman01 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:30 am

I have not changed the oil yet but it is full and fairly clean. It's too cold out now to mess with the bike for a while. Thanks for the advice guys.

maintainer
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Postby maintainer » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:30 pm

After I rebuilt my 77 and did the test fire it too had the clutch plates stuck. After trying all the suggestions unsuccessfully (and everything posted here too) I was about ready to tear into it. As a last ditch effort I decided to ride it a while and shift clutchlessly. After about 70 miles of riding out in an rural area and regularly applying the rear brake with the clutch pulled in and an occassion throttle input at speed the clutch plates broke loose. I admit this technique has some risks but it worked for me and it just kept working better until it began to function normally.
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:51 pm

maintainer wrote:After I rebuilt my 77 and did the test fire it too had the clutch plates stuck. After trying all the suggestions unsuccessfully (and everything posted here too) I was about ready to tear into it. As a last ditch effort I decided to ride it a while and shift clutchlessly. After about 70 miles of riding out in an rural area and regularly applying the rear brake with the clutch pulled in and an occassion throttle input at speed the clutch plates broke loose. I admit this technique has some risks but it worked for me and it just kept working better until it began to function normally.

79wing wrote in his initial post that, the only way he could prevent it from lunging forward while trying to start it, was to hold the clutch. So, it kinda sounds like the clutch is working, doesn't it?

79wingman01

Postby 79wingman01 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:18 pm

Thanks maintainer. Once the weather gets warmer, I'll be working more on the bike. I love it but man it has a ton wrong with it. I will be worth it in the end.

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:50 am

To go back to the start of your thread.
If you can start it with the clutch lever held in and it moves off smoothly as you release the lever, the clutch is not stuck.
If it lunges when starting it with the lever released, it is still in gear, no matter that the neutral light is lit. It really is that simple.
The neutral light switch on these bikes is prone to carbon build up and that causes it to light up even when in gear. So ignore the light, go back and click through the gears again with it on the centre stand, checking at each click of the lever to see if the rear wheel will turn. When it does, you have found the missing neutral.
Now you should fix the switch or replace it.
See here: http://www.wingovations.com/repairing-t ... 4579471114

Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”