76 GL1000 horn question...>

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
76AuWing
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000

76 GL1000 horn question...>

Postby 76AuWing » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:09 am

Picked up this bike late last summer, needed the e-start as my knee can't take the old Brit twin kickstart any longer. Winter overhaul included new tires, rebuilt front brake calipers, new timing belts & tensioners, rebuilt petcock, derusted fuel sender with new gasket, new foam on Vetter windshield & new belt in Clarion 8-track player. One of the last issues is a horn that won't close the circuit. I've pulled it and put it on a battery, it works fine. So I'm sure the issue is the ground at the button. My question is, how do I clean up & make sure that ground connection is solid? I've tried to pull the switch apart, but it won't do so as I believe the wires coming up through the handlebars don't have any slack. Do I have to disconnect all the left switch connections in the headlight bucket in order to pull the wires through and get to that button/ground? Thanks in advance, Tom.
Attachments

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: 76 GL1000 horn question...>

Postby SnoBrdr » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:41 am

76AuWing wrote:Picked up this bike late last summer, needed the e-start as my knee can't take the old Brit twin kickstart any longer. Winter overhaul included new tires, rebuilt front brake calipers, new timing belts & tensioners, rebuilt petcock, derusted fuel sender with new gasket, new foam on Vetter windshield & new belt in Clarion 8-track player. One of the last issues is a horn that won't close the circuit. I've pulled it and put it on a battery, it works fine. So I'm sure the issue is the ground at the button. My question is, how do I clean up & make sure that ground connection is solid? I've tried to pull the switch apart, but it won't do so as I believe the wires coming up through the handlebars don't have any slack. Do I have to disconnect all the left switch connections in the headlight bucket in order to pull the wires through and get to that button/ground? Thanks in advance, Tom.

Did you try disconnecting the ground wire from the horn and running a separate ground to see if that works.

The ground should be the green wire.

You should also get a wiring diagram, they are very helpful to have especially a large blown up one.

Messing with the switches can be very troublesome as they are old and brittle.

If you break one, you can get parts to repair it and are then left with trying to find a good used switch or a aftermarket solution.

76AuWing

Postby 76AuWing » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:53 am

Thanks for the quick reply! We moved to western NC from Portsmouth RI, my wife used to live & work in Prov. Took the news of Buddy's passing pretty hard.
My understanding of the horn is that it works by connecting the ground to the handlebars when pushed. If that's the case wouldn't a replacement ground wire from
the horn itself have to go to a new switch? I do have wiring diagrams. But I thought I saw a separate post stating that the wiring diagram on the horn didn't match up with
what was going on in the switch. The switch button going to ground makes sense to me as I do get some feeble attempts by the horn trying to make noise. I've also put
a meter on the two leads, not enough voltage through the circuit to give a nice loud sound.

SnoBrdr

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:19 pm

Do you get a good sound when you hookup the horn to the battery?

Ya Buddy was a big loss.

He had cancer and it was only a matter of time.

76AuWing

Postby 76AuWing » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:45 pm

Yes, in my original post I said I pulled the horn, put it on a battery and got a nice, loud beep. So I know the horn itself is not the issue.

76AuWing

Postby 76AuWing » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:10 pm

Very good, just what I was looking for. I will test the hot lead with the meter and go to good frame ground. If that shows 12v then I'll either trace that ground wire back and make sure it's good or else run a separate ground. Thanks much!

76AuWing

Postby 76AuWing » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:48 pm

OK, finally had a chance to do a little more work with the horn. Here are my findings: Wires from the horn are black and green. Black wire connects into white/green and green wire connects into green ( ground ). I pulled the horn and placed a multimeter lead into the white/green connector, the other lead onto the frame. I turned on the key and it read 12v. This tells me that the horn button is switching ground, not 12v. Careful examination of the wiring diagram confirms this. So I put everything back together and switched the key on. I gently pressed in the horn button and worked it around a bit to try to scrape off the patina that has obviously built up. This did result in some weak and stronger horn beeps. So I've come to the conclusion that I do indeed have to pull the fairing, pull the headlight, disconnect all wires that go from the left handlebar switch into the headlight allowing them to feed out enough to pull apart the switch and effectively clean the horn contacts. I wish I had done this when I had all apart and the gauges out for rebuilding, but I clearly didn't plan well enough ahead. Last question, where does the negative battery lead bolt onto the frame? I'd like to make sure that contact is nice & clean. Thanks in advance. Tom

SnoBrdr

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:18 pm

76AuWing wrote:OK, finally had a chance to do a little more work with the horn. Here are my findings: Wires from the horn are black and green. Black wire connects into white/green and green wire connects into green ( ground ). I pulled the horn and placed a multimeter lead into the white/green connector, the other lead onto the frame. I turned on the key and it read 12v. This tells me that the horn button is switching ground, not 12v. Careful examination of the wiring diagram confirms this. So I put everything back together and switched the key on. I gently pressed in the horn button and worked it around a bit to try to scrape off the patina that has obviously built up. This did result in some weak and stronger horn beeps. So I've come to the conclusion that I do indeed have to pull the fairing, pull the headlight, disconnect all wires that go from the left handlebar switch into the headlight allowing them to feed out enough to pull apart the switch and effectively clean the horn contacts. I wish I had done this when I had all apart and the gauges out for rebuilding, but I clearly didn't plan well enough ahead. Last question, where does the negative battery lead bolt onto the frame? I'd like to make sure that contact is nice & clean. Thanks in advance. Tom

It bolts on the long motor mount bolt on the left side, as you are sitting on it).

It's-that chrome triangle looking thing with the three bolts.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”