Shifter stuck out of gear, won't engage gears GL1000 1978

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
eekclegzed
Motorcycle: GL1000 1978

Shifter stuck out of gear, won't engage gears GL1000 1978

Postby eekclegzed » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:45 pm

Ok so I've extensively read the forums here of previous problems with shifters and transmission issues. I think my problem may be unique, hopefully someone with a bit more experience can shed some light here.

So my GL1000 78 model, just completed full overhaul, motor runs great everything worked fine on my first few test runs. Transmission was perfect on my first runs, could go through the gears nice and easy no issues. Then on my 3 / 4th big run got off the highway changed down from top gear and all of a sudden no drive to the wheel.. (As if its in neautral) This is from 5th!!? I stopped turned off the bike had a little think for a minute..

After wiggling the lever up and down for ages (there's still spring tension on the lever) I heard a clunk, now all of a sudden its in a gear I carried on riding, (felt like it was in 3rd by the way) carried on went shift down to 2nd and same thing, locked out again as if its stuck between gears.. Repeated the wiggling and I'm back in a gear and off again..

So I'm riding in 3rd (I think) started to wonder I'd have to ride 100km home on the highway at 50 km/h but I managed to get it back into 5th without the clutch to see what happened.. So I got home and now I'm at a loose end.. Need some ideas..

My symtons only occur when HOT, first 15 mins or so from cold my gears work fine.

I'm thinking maybe front waterpump cover jamming the linkage? Tollerences too tight here when engine warms up?

Shift forks jamming somehow? I did notice wear marks on the forks when I inspected them during the overhaul.. There was a bur on them.. Maybe I should have filed it off?

Also when I'm jammed out of gear I can move the lever up as if its going into gear but it doesn't engage, plus it returns to centre as normal. Although it's really hard to push down.. And when I do push down and spin the back wheel on the stand I can hear a slight grinding noise??

Thanks for reading. Much appreciated wll:

Also I might add that I CANNOT find 1st at all! Lever won't shift down at all when I'm in 2nd. It feels like im stuck between gears some how!?? This is a serious head f*#k :oops:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Shifter stuck out of gear, won't engage gears GL1000 1978

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:13 am

Because it seems to be happening in all the gears, that would rule out a single shift fork. So I would be leaning the same way you are: jamming of the shift mechanism behind the water pump cover. That would also lead credence to this theory being that it happens when it is hot - things expand just enough to bind up. Clearance of the shift mechanism behind that cover is EXTREMELY tight - so much so that using an aftermarket gasket that is a few thousandths too thin will cause binding.

eekclegzed

Postby eekclegzed » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:42 am

Thanks for your Swifty reply WingAdmin!

I really hope this is where the issue lies, at least then I won't have to split the cases :shock:

Went for a ride just then after loosening the cover bolts and re torquing them, did approx 5km going through all the gears just fine. Then in 5th once again I tried shifting down and I was locked out.

I used a Versa gasket kit from Japan during the rebuild, I'm ordering a OEM cover gasket as we speak hopefully this solved the problem, I will give you updates when its fitted..

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:23 pm

I can't speak to the Versa gasket kit; I used an OEM on my GL1100 when I did it. I know when people have tried to use the Saber Cycle gasket for the front cover, it causes binding of the shifter, because their crappy gaskets are paper-thin.

eekclegzed

Postby eekclegzed » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:15 pm

Ok so here's for an update..

Removed the front water pump cover last night had a good look at the shifting mechanism, no signs of excessive wear, centering spring looks good. Hmm what to do now!?

Aha I found why it's jamming!! Directly behind the stopper which sits over the shift drum there is a plug, not sure it's purpose yet was hoping you guys could help me with that (I cannot find it anywhere on the micro fiche) the plug has a slit on it for a flat head screw driver. This plug keels popping out (possibly with oil pressure or just vibration) and prevents me from downshifting as it fouls on the stopper! It will allow me to upshift but as I push down the plug gets in the way.

I'm hoping this plug has just come loose and I can tighten it up and off I go but if anyone can shed some light on this it would be great! I'm checking it out tonight as I have to remove the stopper mechanism to get to the plug.

I'm glad I've found out why it's doing this and hopefully it prevents anyone else making the same mistakes I did!!

eekclegzed

Postby eekclegzed » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:48 am

Here's a pic of the hole where the plug lies inside of it. Anybody know what this does or why it's there??
Attachments
Plug just above shift drum
Plug just above shift drum

eekclegzed

Postby eekclegzed » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:40 am

Ok so I finally found what this plug is..

http://www.cmsnl.com/products/plug-oil- ... s1rxqc_7qA

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:01 pm

Good on you for finding that cause. I would drain the engine oil, then use a solvent (brake cleaner is my favorite) to clean the threads on both the plug as well as the hole into which it threads. Once clean and dry, use some high-temperature Loctite and put it back in securely.

There's no real reason to ever remove that plug, so locking it in place with the Loctite will make sure it never comes out again and fouls your shift mechanism.

eekclegzed

Postby eekclegzed » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:08 pm

Ok so I tried doing what you suggested I wasn't sure how far to screw it in, it started to get tight so I thought I got it but now it seems I have locked up the transmission. As if the plug has gone too far and I fouling on the gears..

It's also hard to unscrew..

There seems to be two recesses on the plug, would you say these are for oil to pass through? I'm just unsure where to position the plug because it seems if I go too far it fouls on my gears

eekclegzed

Postby eekclegzed » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:26 pm

Ok so I got it free, couldn't remove it.. Had a think, I removed the oil pump to get a closer look. The thing I thought was a plug is actually the shift fork shaft!!

The pin keeping it in place wasn't there causing it to pop out, and when I pushed it in the shaft fouled on the transmission gears!

So glad I've found this problem I'm fitting a new pin this arv to fix it! Thanks for all your help.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”