Recommend final drive grease 76 gL1000

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Ducman
Motorcycle: 1976 GL-1000

Recommend final drive grease 76 gL1000

Postby Ducman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:19 pm

On 1976 and later wings, Honda added a much needed grease fitting/nipple to lube the final drive.
Which grease should I use, specifically?
What is everyone using?

I have the owners manual and Honda shop service manual and it looks like a NLGI #2, lithium base, with MoS2 is the answer. I saw no specific mention of grease type in the Clymer manual. The dealership said to check the forums as they haven't ran across this and they use the Honda moly 77 grease. I have the moly 77 grease for when I get to clean and lube the splines. I also did the final drive fluid service with Mobil 1 gear oil.

I could find a grease with everything except the MoS2, so I haven't purchased anything. Maybe in the past 4 decades there are better choices available?
Not sure what I can use.
Thanks.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Recommend final drive grease 76 gL1000

Postby SnoBrdr » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:04 am

Ducman wrote:On 1976 and later wings, Honda added a much needed grease fitting/nipple to lube the final drive.
Which grease should I use, specifically?
What is everyone using?

I have the owners manual and Honda shop service manual and it looks like a NLGI #2, lithium base, with MoS2 is the answer. I saw no specific mention of grease type in the Clymer manual. The dealership said to check the forums as they haven't ran across this and they use the Honda moly 77 grease. I have the moly 77 grease for when I get to clean and lube the splines. I also did the final drive fluid service with Mobil 1 gear oil.

I could find a grease with everything except the MoS2, so I haven't purchased anything. Maybe in the past 4 decades there are better choices available?
Not sure what I can use.
Thanks.

I just use the grease in my grease gun that I use to grease my truck.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”