What/where is the mechanical seal?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Ducman
Motorcycle: 1976 GL-1000

What/where is the mechanical seal?

Postby Ducman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:34 am

So, I'm going with a water pump replacement on a GL1000 (with all o-rings, seals and gaskets I can replace while I'm in there) and when researching, people sometimes refer to the "mechanical seal(s?)".
What is the mechanical seal, where is it? (Maybe inside the water pump body?) what does it do?
Does it come with the OEM water pump 19200-MG9-681 ??? Do I buy it separately?
I doubt it is an o-ring, but is it an O-ring?
Is there a picture?
Is there more than one?
What is the part number?
What is the secret of the universe?
More importantly, why does Netflix Canada have so many "B" movies?
etc...
Thanks

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: What/where is the mechanical seal?

Postby SnoBrdr » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:14 pm

Ducman wrote:So, I'm going with a water pump replacement on a GL1000 (with all o-rings, seals and gaskets I can replace while I'm in there) and when researching, people sometimes refer to the "mechanical seal(s?)".
What is the mechanical seal, where is it? (Maybe inside the water pump body?) what does it do?
Is there a picture?
Is there more than one?
What is the part number?
etc...
Thanks

The mechanical seal goes in the face of the oil pump and seals the oil pump shaft.

The end of the oil pump shaft is what runs the waterpump. It could well be your problem.

Usually a mechanical seal is used to seal a rotating shaft from leaking oil. It is press fitted into an opening and has a central bore of rubber that fits tightly to the rotating shaft to seal it.

The mechanical seal is inside the water pump assembly. It's directly behind the impeller and seals coolant. If your mechanical seal is bad you would have coolant coming out the weep hole. Replacing the mechanical seal would be part of a pump rebuild. Honda did not intend for the pumps to be rebuilt but some have used a Honda mechanical seal from a CX500. I've read on a CX500 board that some are using a $17 late model Yamaha seal in their 500's. Maybe that would work in the wing too. I was looking into rebuilding mine but I ended up selling the bike to my brother-in-law and opted to install a new pump for him. A rebuild is doable but the long term success rate is questionable.

Front to back a pump is assembled as follows: Impeller, mechanical seal, fwd bearing, (weep hole cavity), rear bearing, snap ring, The end of the pump shaft fits into the oil seal that is pressed into the block. I think it may be the same seal that is used on the shifter shaft.

Also called a Garlock seal.

BTW I "liberated" all this info from other sites.

flogger
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (Newest Project)

Postby flogger » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:23 pm

Very interesting, I have both of these cycles so I will file that away for future reference. I too have heard about the Yamaha one for the Co's.
1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (project)

Image Image Image Image

Ducman
Motorcycle: 1976 GL-1000

Postby Ducman » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:05 am

SnoBrdr wrote:
seal.jpg
Ducman wrote:So, I'm going with a water pump replacement on a GL1000 (with all o-rings, seals and gaskets I can replace while I'm in there) and when researching, people sometimes refer to the "mechanical seal(s?)".
Is there a picture?
Is there more than one?
What is the part number?
etc...
Thanks

The mechanical seal goes in the face of the oil pump and seals the oil pump shaft.

The end of the oil pump shaft is what runs the waterpump. It could well be your problem.

Usually a mechanical seal is used to seal a rotating shaft from leaking oil. It is press fitted into an opening and has a central bore of rubber that fits tightly to the rotating shaft to seal it.

The mechanical seal is inside the water pump assembly. It's directly behind the impeller and seals coolant. If your mechanical seal is bad you would have coolant coming out the weep hole. Replacing the mechanical seal would be part of a pump rebuild. Honda did not intend for the pumps to be rebuilt but some have used a Honda mechanical seal from a CX500. I've read on a CX500 board that some are using a $17 late model Yamaha seal in their 500's. Maybe that would work in the wing too. I was looking into rebuilding mine but I ended up selling the bike to my brother-in-law and opted to install a new pump for him. A rebuild is doable but the long term success rate is questionable.

Front to back a pump is assembled as follows: Impeller, mechanical seal, fwd bearing, (weep hole cavity), rear bearing, snap ring, The end of the pump shaft fits into the oil seal that is pressed into the block. I think it may be the same seal that is used on the shifter shaft.

Also called a Garlock seal.

BTW I "liberated" all this info from other sites.

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I'm a young guy trying to learn so it means a lot to me when someone answers my questions fully.

SnoBrdr

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:14 am

We try best we can.

Another great site to join is http://www.ngwclub.com/.

Many of the same people on both sites but NGW is a lot busier.

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:16 am

Ray, the amazing guy that manufacturers the beautiful stainless steel brake pistons that I sell on WinGovations, also makes a complete water pump rebuild kit.
This is his eBay page:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Goldwin ... SwyZ5UpoVC
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

SnoBrdr

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:28 pm

Old Fogey wrote:Ray, the amazing guy that manufacturers the beautiful stainless steel brake pistons that I sell on WinGovations, also makes a complete water pump rebuild kit.
This is his eBay page:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Goldwin ... SwyZ5UpoVC

Very good to know.

I hate to say this but I have about 130k on the original pump.

Now it will fail within a WEEK.

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:41 pm

Yup,....10......9.....8............................. :lol:

Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”