Hello, I'm new, and a question!

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Hello, I'm new, and a question!

Postby tarzy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:27 am

I joined this board expressly to assist a dear friend who has done his own carb job on his newest GL1000, acherry '77 that has had a few less than knowledgeable previous owners. He did his own carb clean/new parts kit job, and except for not replacing a few o-rings (low-main jets), which he has since done, I believe he has done everything right. My qualifications are many and long, so I make my observations based on that. Here is his current problem:only no. 1 crab is getting a full bowl of gas. No.'s 2,3, and 4 are not. We have the carbs of and I am going back today to further assist. BTW, I'm not asking him for remeneration, I'm assisting as a good friend. Here's what I am seeing: the fuel input to the plenum chamber is what I deem severely restricted. I cannot blow into a hose connected to it. It is shown in his material he obtained from "Randakk's Cycle Shack" as the pipe to connect a vacuum tester for determining if the plenum is properly sealed. I checked oiut his DIY repairs again, and see nothing wrong. I had loaned him my tester to do this several months ago. I have no particular experience with Wings, but given all of my prior experience, there's no rocket science here in my opinion. I feel that pipe should be clear, since the pump is good and producing spec fuel pressure (2.5 psi). I would appreciate any assistance I might get from here, and if possible, is there any chance of a referral link to an electronic service manual?

Thanks in advance, Tarzy............past exploits: Porche race car constructor, AMA 250GP expert (did all my own work) currently a motorcycle collector with over 40 bikes (and not enough space to house all of them), and I am working in a small shop in Walla Walla, WA on anything that comes my way, and many more experiences to numerous to mention here.........64 this year I will become........

Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Re: Hello, I'm new, and a question!

Postby MJSantos » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:25 am

Fuel flow if memory serves me right is from the #3 Carb inlet ( internally to #3) then to the plenum up to #1. Across the plenum to #4 and thru that side of the plenum to #2. It sounds like the problem is right there with #3. Your right that the line should be clear.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”