chugalug after 5K rpm

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
safety2nd
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000

chugalug after 5K rpm

Postby safety2nd » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:32 pm

Hey everybody. Just recently I've started getting a severe miss (bad enough that there is no more acceleration and the bike is shaking vilently) when approaching high revs generally around 5K. I don't want to think its my carbs since i rebuilt them this winter and had Moose at Pistol Pete's verify my work, but i'm not ruling out anything. I also have a Dyna S ignition system. Please ponder this and post your hypothesis

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: chugalug after 5K rpm

Postby dingdong » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:38 am

After my ponderment. I will guess that the Dyna is failing at some point. Dynas have had a problem in the past with one or the other module failing due to overheating. Depending on the age of your Dyna, there was also a time that the mounting plate for the modules was too thin and wouldn't ground properly when tightened down with the two mounting screws inside the points housing. I had this problem and had to install star washers under the screws.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:21 am

dingdong wrote:After my ponderment. I will guess that the Dyna is failing at some point. Dynas have had a problem in the past with one or the other module failing due to overheating. Depending on the age of your Dyna, there was also a time that the mounting plate for the modules was too thin and wouldn't ground properly when tightened down with the two mounting screws inside the points housing. I had this problem and had to install star washers under the screws.

Similiar to the problem I had with my Dyna, which was 37 years old.

After it got real hot, it would just shut down.

Kinda scary at 75 MPH on the highway.

I cured it temporarily by making up a points cover that I drilled multiple holes in to allow air to pass thru.

This is cure it but it was not a long term solution.

Switched to the C% setup and have never looked back.

It's $$$ but it included the module, coils and wires so it you compare it to a new Dyna and buy all the pieces separate, it's comparable.

safety2nd

Postby safety2nd » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:05 am

Thank you for the help gentlemen.

The dyna was on the bike when I got it in 2010 so there is no way to tell how old it is.

Now I just have to decide between covering back to points, a new dyna S, or the C% set up.

Snobrbr could you explain what the C% set up is?

SnoBrdr

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:33 am

safety2nd wrote:Thank you for the help gentlemen.

The dyna was on the bike when I got it in 2010 so there is no way to tell how old it is.

Now I just have to decide between covering back to points, a new dyna S, or the C% set up.

I really can'tdo it justice but http://www.c5ignitions.com/

I can't believe the difference in my bike.

It starts under 40 degrees with barely pulling out the choke.

It just runs better than it ever has, even when new.

dingdong
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:36 pm

Contact Dyna. They will test and if defective will replace for appx. 1/2 price. If you want to stay with the Dyna??? since I replaced mine around 7 or 8 years ago I have had no problems. Also that is a C5 not C%. Typo.

http://www.c5ignitions.com/ Way too expensive to my thinking but I have heard nothing but good things about it.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

safety2nd

Postby safety2nd » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:52 pm

Thanks again. I'll talk to dyna and give an update.

SnoBrdr

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:55 am

dingdong wrote:

Contact Dyna. They will test and if defective will replace for appx. 1/2 price. If you want to stay with the Dyna??? since I replaced mine around 7 or 8 years ago I have had no problems. Also that is a C5 not C%. Typo.

http://www.c5ignitions.com/ Way too expensive to my thinking but I have heard nothing but good things about it.

I contacted Dyna and no such offer was given to me.

They just said well things go bad over time.

I even traded emails with the guy everyone says to contact.

dingdong
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun May 01, 2016 5:41 am

Sorry to hear that. Evidently their policy has changed. Here is about the cheapest I have found a new ignition.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... ingdocs-20

Tom

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”