High Beam INOP

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Mean Wing
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda GL1000 (K3)
2002 Honda GL1800

High Beam INOP

Postby Mean Wing » Fri May 06, 2016 7:56 am

I have a Vetter Windjammer SS fairing on my 1978 GL1000, therefore, it is not the stock headlight. However, my HIGH BEAM recently failed, for no apparent reason. I've checked the sealed-beam lamp and both filaments (Hi & Lo) work. Of the three wires (BLACK-Bk, WHITE-Wh, & YELLOW-Y) coming into the headlight casing, it's clear that the Wh wire is where the problem lies. With the headlight switch in LO, the Bk & Y wires provide power to the lamp. With the switch in HI, the Bk wire is unpowered (as expected), but the Wh & Y wires do not illuminate the lamp. In other words, the Wh wire is providing no current. At first, I suspected the HI/LO switch. But, when I place the switch in HI, the BLUE "Hi Beam" annunciator light on the instrument cluster illuminates, which would tell me that the switch works correctly. Otherwise, if it didn't, then I would assume that the annunciator light would also not work (illuminate). According to the wiring diagram, the annunciator light gets it's power through the same set of wires (Wh & Y) as the headlight. Am I incorrect in my thinking? Anyone have any guesses as to what might be the problem?

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Re: High Beam INOP

Postby Maz » Fri May 06, 2016 8:39 am

You are correct in that the Hi Beam indicator gets its feed from the same wire. My best guess is a poor connection between the original Honda loom and the wires to the Headlamp in the Vetter. Having power to the Hi Beam indicator is a bonus as it reduces the amount of tracing back through the loom to find the break/poor connection.
Try to locate the wires/connectors that were once inside the original headlamp bowl. The main beam wire should be Blue, if memory serves me correctly, so, somewhere it connects to the White wire that now feeds the headlamp in the fairing.

Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

Mean Wing
2002 Honda GL1800

Postby Mean Wing » Fri May 06, 2016 10:42 am

Maz wrote:Try to locate the wires/connectors that were once inside the original headlamp bowl. Maz

Thanks for replying, Maz! Though I will follow your guidance, during my troubleshooting I disconnected the 9-pin electrical connector between the fairing and the motorcycle only to find out that the Wh wire (pin #4) still had no current at that point, which takes me outside of the fairing and towards the main electrical bundle of the GL. The other thing that I've decided I'll do is to take apart the HI/LO switch housing, and inspect that switch, in case the "Blue" annunciator light is wired separately. I'll let you know what I come up with in my follow-on post . . . :?:

Chet

Mean Wing
2002 Honda GL1800

Postby Mean Wing » Sat May 07, 2016 8:20 am

I acquired this pristine GL1000 last August, with only 15,900 miles on it. I'm quickly learning on a motorcycle of this age, when individual lights don't work, and it's not the bulb, ALWAYS suspect the connectors. After reseating several connectors, from the headlight, through the fairing, and back to the bike, the HI Beam magically worked again. Having conquered that hurdle, I chose to check all my other lights, only to discover the fairing's right turn signal was not blinking. So, after checking the bulb, I reseated the connector in the fairing pocket and, voila, the turn signal works. As frustrating as this can be, I certainly appreciate when the solution turns out to be so simple. I fear the day that this doesn't fix things . . . :o

On a side note, thinking that my HI BEAM filament was burned out, I purchased this Semi-sealed Halogen H4 7-inch replacement Headlamp from J&P Cycles (Item# 310-076)http://www.jpcycles.com/product/310-076 which is a perfect fit, and provides improved illumination, for $48.00 + shpg.

On to my next project, getting the Vetter horns hooked up to work in conjunction with the stock horns . . . :D

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Mon May 09, 2016 2:21 am

Glad you got it sorted. From your reply I guess you have realised the validity in checking and cleaning all those little connections, especially the bullet type which can loosen off with age.
Enjoy the ride. :D

Maz

Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”