'79 GL1000 repair, where in Minnesota?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
sohc4mike
Motorcycle: 1980 Honda CB650SC, 1979 GL1000

'79 GL1000 repair, where in Minnesota?

Postby sohc4mike » Tue May 10, 2016 3:52 pm

I have inherited a '79 GL1000 with 52,000 miles which has not been started in 15 years. My local Honda shop does not want to work on it because they cannot order some parts from Honda such as the brake master cylinders, one of the throttle cables, and the brake calipers. Apparently they do not want to rebuild any of those but just replace them. Is there anyplace in Minnesota or near that will work on this? The motor turns over with the starter so is not frozen- thank you!

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: '79 GL1000 repair, where in Minnesota?

Postby SnoBrdr » Wed May 11, 2016 11:29 am

sohc4mike wrote:I have inherited a '79 GL1000 with 52,000 miles which has not been started in 15 years. My local Honda shop does not want to work on it because they cannot order some parts from Honda such as the brake master cylinders, one of the throttle cables, and the brake calipers. Apparently they do not want to rebuild any of those but just replace them. Is there anyplace in Minnesota or near that will work on this? The motor turns over with the starter so is not frozen- thank you!

Those parts are all available either from Honda or some good aftermarket sellers.

This is part of the problem today, the dealerships have "part replacers" rather than mechanics.

Rebuilding the master cylinders and calipers are faily simple, even without a lot of mechanical ability.

There are numerous how tos on rebuilding those.

If the bike has sat for 15 years, I'd bet that the carbs need to be rebuilt.

That is one thing I send out to the pros to have done but many others can do it themselves vey easily.

Please don't spin the bike over unless you change the two cam belts.

Most people use 5 years as a rule of thumb on belts. If a belt breaks, you can almost bet that the engine will suffer major damage and it's almost impossible to get the parts needed to repair it.

Besides here, another good resource is http://www.ngwclub.com/

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”