Melting wires

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
swr1977
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000

Melting wires

Postby swr1977 » Fri May 13, 2016 3:50 am

Hello everyone. I have a 1978 GL1000 & Hope someone can give me an idea on what is wrong & maybe why the wires from the rectifier are melting? Also the main fuse holder melted.

I just recently replaced my battery and have been keeping a close eye on my volt gauge and on the last ride I realised it stayed below 12 volt almost the entire ride!

I'm not the best mechanic or electriction so I'm hoping the fixes I've made will work (see pictures) [wish I would've taken pictures before I cut out the bad wires] The previous owner rapped the wire bundle next to the rectifier in what looks like a heat resistant cloth, but when I opened it up I found that several spade connectors on multiple wires had melted and one of the wires so badly burned/black the wire was severed from the spade connector! I cut out what was melted and used butt crimp connectors & 16 gauge wire to fixed it. But have yet to restart the motorcycle.

Will this fix work? Or does it need thicker wire or ?????

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to test the rectifier and/or voltage regulators and/or alternator? I'm just guess as to what might be wrong!? (?Causing wires to melt?)

Any advise will be greatly appreciated!
Attachments

For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Melting wires

Postby SnoBrdr » Fri May 13, 2016 10:42 am

swr1977 wrote:Hello everyone. I have a 1978 GL1000 & Hope someone can give me an idea on what is wrong & maybe why the wires from the rectifier are melting? Also the main fuse holder melted.

I just recently replaced my battery and have been keeping a close eye on my volt gauge and on the last ride I realised it stayed below 12 volt almost the entire ride!

I'm not the best mechanic or electriction so I'm hoping the fixes I've made will work (see pictures) [wish I would've taken pictures before I cut out the bad wires] The previous owner rapped the wire bundle next to the rectifier in what looks like a heat resistant cloth, but when I opened it up I found that several spade connectors on multiple wires had melted and one of the wires so badly burned/black the wire was severed from the spade connector! I cut out what was melted and used butt crimp connectors & 16 gauge wire to fixed it. But have yet to restart the motorcycle.

Will this fix work? Or does it need thicker wire or ?????

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to test the rectifier and/or voltage regulators and/or alternator? I'm just guess as to what might be wrong!? (?Causing wires to melt?)

Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

First thing you need to do is to test the current AT the battery.

Hook up your leads to the battery and see what you get @ 3000 RPMS.

Should be about 14.2 or so.

I learned you can't trust the voltmeter.

If that checks out low, you then need to check the stator.

Do you know if the stator fix has been done to the bike?

You will see 3 yellow wires going into a white plug, over time the plug fails and shorts out.

Here's how to do that

Then we can go from there.

swr1977

Postby swr1977 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:28 pm

SnoBrdr wrote:First thing you need to do is to test the current AT the battery.

You will see 3 yellow wires going into a white plug, over time the plug fails and shorts out.

Here's how to do that.

OK.. I checked the voltage of the battery after charging overnight & two hours after removing from charger... 13.02volts. After installing on bike & with her idleing she read 13.58 ... after warm up and throttle locked at about 3100-3200rpm ... she read 14.89 volts! So all looks good but I'm still worried about it and my wiring fix !????

I could not find the stator wires like what is shown in the video ... there are 2 or 3 yellow wires coming out of the rectifier but I have them so rapped with electrical tape I hate to remove it. Where on the motor is the alternator located? What is my next step for testing what to make sure I don't wind up with more melted wires?

I did take it for a long ride today and everything seemed to work great! Volt gauge read anywhere from 12-14 volts depending on rpms at the time.

Thanks again for your help!

SnoBrdr

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Sat May 14, 2016 6:31 am

swr1977 wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:First thing you need to do is to test the current AT the battery.

Here's how to do that.

OK.. I checked the voltage of the battery after charging overnight & two hours after removing from charger... 13.02volts. After installing on bike & with her idleing she read 13.58 ... after warm up and throttle locked at about 3100-3200rpm ... she read 14.89 volts! So all looks good but I'm still worried about it and my wiring fix !????

I could not find the stator wires like what is shown in the video ... there are 2 or 3 yellow wires coming out of the rectifier but I have them so rapped with electrical tape I hate to remove it. Where on the motor is the alternator located? What is my next step for testing what to make sure I don't wind up with more melted wires?

I did take it for a long ride today and everything seemed to work great! Volt gauge read anywhere from 12-14 volts depending on rpms at the time.

I'm on the road atm and can't really look at your pics again as the screen is so small.

I'll take another look when I get home on Sunday.

Someone else may jump in as well.

But first thing you should do is look for that stator plug and see if it is still there, if it is, you need to get rid of it.

SnoBrdr

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Mon May 16, 2016 1:11 pm

Can't really see much in those pics if I enlarge them as they just distort too much.

swr1977

Postby swr1977 » Wed May 18, 2016 5:46 pm

SnoBrdr wrote:Can't really see much in those pics if I enlarge them as they just distort too much.

Thanks for looking but I think I'm good for now. I've done some more digging and didn't find the plug you were talking about so I'm guess it's been removed. Also, I took her on a long ride the other day and didn't have any problems & the volt meter stayed above 13 volts the whole time.

motorcyclemedic
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000, 1985 GL1200A Aspy

Postby motorcyclemedic » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:40 am

You need to look at this issue more closely- the entire charging system depends on the stator and wiring health- if the yellow wires from the stator to the rectifier aren't properly connected (soldered and heat shrink wrapped- eliminate ALL old connectors) then failure is eminent- Check out Randaak Cycle tech tips- He is the Wing Guru- If the stator wires are crimped and wrapped in electrical tape, I wouldn't get too far from home- when these wires and connectors fail, they cause high resistance and cook the stator- you will then find out how to pull your engine- Hope this helps- Dennis in Anchorage Ak

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”