Dyna S problem


Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Doug T
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:28 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Motorcycle: 1976 GL 1000 Goldwing Honda

Dyna S problem

Postby Doug T » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:39 pm



Hi everybody... Having problem with my Dyna S ? It seems that when I press the right side of the module in the centre with a screwdriver to the back plate, the RPMs rev up and sound nice. The problem is it won`t stay adjusted that way as soon as I let the screwdriver go . It will not idle right...like it seems to be warped or something. How would I be able to fix this? Thanks in advance for all comments.



SnoBrdr
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Dyna S problem

Postby SnoBrdr » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:55 am

Doug T wrote:Hi everybody... Having problem with my Dyna S ? It seems that when I press the right side of the module in the centre with a screwdriver to the back plate, the RPMs rev up and sound nice. The problem is it won`t stay adjusted that way as soon as I let the screwdriver go . It will not idle right...like it seems to be warped or something. How would I be able to fix this? Thanks in advance for all comments.


You should contact Dyna.

People have said that they are very good helping out.

People also say that if you need a new setup that they will offer you one at half price.

This is what others say, this did not happen when I contacted them.

They could care less and actually offered no help.

But you might get the helpful tech guy.

User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 2864
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Dyna S problem

Postby dingdong » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:02 am

Sounds like the mounting plate isn't grounding properly. The plate of the Dyna when tightened down with the 2 mounting screws acts as the ground point for the modules. Early Dyna 2s (Not sure of the newer models) had a plate that was too thin and didn't make good contact when tightened down. I used star lock washers under the mounting screw heads in order to force a good ground contact point.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

User avatar
maintainer
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:39 am
Location: Houston, Texas
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Re: Dyna S problem

Postby maintainer » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:10 am

SnoBrdr wrote:
Doug T wrote:Hi everybody... Having problem with my Dyna S ? It seems that when I press the right side of the module in the centre with a screwdriver to the back plate, the RPMs rev up and sound nice. The problem is it won`t stay adjusted that way as soon as I let the screwdriver go . It will not idle right...like it seems to be warped or something. How would I be able to fix this? Thanks in advance for all comments.


You should contact Dyna.

People have said that they are very good helping out.

People also say that if you need a new setup that they will offer you one at half price.

This is what others say, this did not happen when I contacted them.

They could care less and actually offered no help.

But you might get the helpful tech guy.
dingdong wrote:Sounds like the mounting plate isn't grounding properly. The plate of the Dyna when tightened down with the 2 mounting screws acts as the ground point for the modules. Early Dyna 2s (Not sure of the newer models) had a plate that was too thin and didn't make good contact when tightened down. I used star lock washers under the mounting screw heads in order to force a good ground contact point.



Yes and yes,
definitely sounds like a poor grounding issue.
It could be slightly oxidized on underside of mounting screws, mounting base etc.


1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)


Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests