seized pistons

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

seized pistons

Postby rocks » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:49 pm

Hi all,

I am trying to get a 1977 GL1000 back on the road after a long rest in the garage. I couldn't turn over the engine with a kick start, so I figured to tear it apart anyway. (I tried to put the bike on 5th gear and move but nothing happens).

So the history of the bike is that it had a bad gasket. When I pulled the valves out engine coolant was inside the cylinders. So that would explain the reason it was seized.

I removed the engine from the bike, and I am planning in splitting the halves.

At first, I tried removing the back covers (clutch and rotor I thing). Removed all the bolts and the cover still won't come off even with a help of a rubber hammer. Any tricks on this one?

What are the procedures on splitting the halves after removing all the bolts? I can imagine that it won't be a peace of cake.

I would take any advise, tips, tricks on doing this. So please advise me, and I will take notes.

I also wanna hone cylinders while I am at it.

What would you recommend for engine gaskets? I couldn't find any genuine kit for this one.

Thank you

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: seized pistons

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:09 pm

Like me,you must have more time than cash.
Been there done exactly the same some 10years ago.It turned out well but even then it was difficult finding all the gaskets for a complete rebuild.Re-ringing the engine was a challenge.
Personally...I wouldn't split the engine until you confirm the sleeves need honing.Inspect very carefully for anything more that a oxide coating.If there pitted(scrape at it) total the engine out and get another one.
With it seized,id suggest a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF coating 2 pistons pointed up for 24 hours...then flip the engine and do the other side.Some gentle bumping of each piston with a rubber mallet usually will free it.Then clean the bore and inspect.If there not pitted,clean.

Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:34 pm

Pull the heads and inspect the cylinder walls to determine if they need honing. I bet not. From what you describe you probably just need new head gaskets. I guess it depends how long it sat in coolant though.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Postby rocks » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:26 pm

I pulled the engine. Sit on a side with cylinder cover off. Poured penetrating oil and let do it sink in for more than 12 hours. Then did the other side. Unfortunately, it didn't free the pistons. I even tried brake fluids, and still nothing.

Could it be the bearings that were jammed? The engine had some old black oil when I drained it.
Is it worth do split the case, and inspect everything?

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”