My 78 GL1000 seems like it's running on 2 cylinders from time to time

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
waikikirex
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000

My 78 GL1000 seems like it's running on 2 cylinders from time to time

Postby waikikirex » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:03 pm

I have had this 78 Goldwing for about 3 months and the first long (2 hours) highway speed ride I took about 3 weeks ago had me angry after about 40 miles. My bike started acting like it was completely powerless after about an hour or 60mph travel.
It started not responding to any throttle action above 3500rpm. It was like the thing lost 2 cylinders for about 10 minutes. Then it came back for about 3 minutes and then fell back to 2 cylinders for about another 5 minutes. Only when I got back into town (painfully) did the bike start running as if it was again using all 4 cylinders. I'm not sure that it was running on 2/4 cylinders, that's just how it seemed to me. Now even in town it starts doing that same crappy 2 cylinder thing. Aaaarrrrrggggg!!!
Help!!!

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: My 78 GL1000 seems like it's running on 2 cylinders from time to time

Postby Fiberthree » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:50 pm

Could possibly be a coil failing. You know that one coil controls two cylinders.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

waikikirex

Postby waikikirex » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:51 am

Thanks Fiberthree. I will now have to figure out where it/they are and how much voltage & amperage they should be putting out as well as how to rebuild it/them or locate new ones. :geek: :!: :?:

Thanks again for the info. Looks like I'll be busy for a while.

WaikikiRex

Grindl
Motorcycle: 1978 GL-1000 , 1983 GL-1100A Aspencade

Postby Grindl » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:15 pm

Having owned a 78 GL-1000 for thirty-five years , I went through the wars , as the bike aged , and miles piled up . What you are describing could be many different issues , or several minor ones at the same time . Here's a short check-list of places to look for Gremlins .

1. Fuel filter . Start here ....Cheap & easy replacement fix. One side of the engine will always "Draw in" air and fuel better than the other side . Ask any Funny Car Crew Chief .
2. Resistor . Mounted by the coils , or on the coil bracket , is a resistor , that if it starts to deteriorate , will give you what you describe .
3. Points plate , and points wiring . Cross shorts , or arcing ? Cam seal could be going bad , and allowing oil to short out one set of points . Check around points with a Q-tip for oil that shouldn't be there .
4. Condenser /s ? Aged condenser will also do similar . Located behind left side cover , down low .
5. Coils ...Age out for many reasons . Heat , cold , not being used , damaged etc., etc., etc....
To get access to the coils , you have to remove the air cleaner box , and side panel covers . (Fake gas tank ) And move the fuse box up and out of your way .
6. Check all ignition wiring for any burn marks , signs of arcing , or shorting out . Things vibrate , and move , creating problems that weren't there to start with . Including spark plug wires where they plug on to the plugs .
7. Fuel Pump . Don't dismiss the fuel pump as a potential culprit , either . Check for proper fuel pressure . People always assume it is a electrical problem .

Considering it is a 78 ; low mileage or not , Garage "Queen" or not , it is still a 78 , and electrical units deteriorate with age . I changed my coils and resistor at about 32 years because I began to notice a loss of power after the Bike was fully warmed up , and 20-30 miles down the road .
But most of all ; Purchase the Manual . If you're not highly mechanically inclined , and you start messing around with GL electrics , you can do a lot of very expensive damage , very fast .

Now ....Go kill the Gremlins , lol . And good luck with it .

waikikirex

Postby waikikirex » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:34 pm

Thanks for that nice offering. I knew I was getting an old bike and like me sometimes is hard to figure out.
I knew joining this group was the right thing to do as well. Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

FYI, last week I went for a 30 minute 20 mile ride with speeds ranging from 25mph for a mile or two up to 70mph for a mile or two and had absolutely no issues what so ever.
I think my bike is Irish like me too. Sometimes hard to get along with and other times as sweet as anyone ever could be.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:45 am

waikikirex wrote:Thanks for that nice offering. I knew I was getting an old bike and like me sometimes is hard to figure out.
I knew joining this group was the right thing to do as well. Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

FYI, last week I went for a 30 minute 20 mile ride with speeds ranging from 25mph for a mile or two up to 70mph for a mile or two and had absolutely no issues what so ever.
I think my bike is Irish like me too. Sometimes hard to get along with and other times as sweet as anyone ever could be.

I also have a 78, original owner.

In 79 I had a Dyna ignition installed.

I never had a problem until 2 years ago when it would just stop running.

Turns out that the Dyna went bad, as it got hot it died.

replaced it with a C5 and haven't looked back.

Now I know this is nothing like your issue but this stuff just happens after 38 years.

Replaced the coils as well as they come with the C5 ignition.

You can also use GL 1100 coils if you can't find a good set of GL1000s and they are a lot easier to find.

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby ekvh » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:43 am

To add to the list of checks, see if your mechanical advance is functioning as it should. They can dry out and get stuck. It's behind the ignition plate holding the points or electronic ignition.

You'll help yourself and us by letting us know which ignition you have. The other thing is to try pulling plug wires when it's running rough to determine which cylinders are missing. If you're afraid of the 8000 volts :) you can spray a must of water on the headers to see which ones are cooler. Coils and ignition components run either cylinders 1-2 or 3-4. Right side from front to back sitting on the bike is 1-3and left side is 2-4.

Grindl

Postby Grindl » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:56 am

Really great catch there , ekvh . Totally forgot about the advance unit . Gremlins , gremlins , gremlins . :lol: :lol: :lol:

waikikirex

Postby waikikirex » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:53 pm

Thanks again all, It seems that the bike had a new DYNA S DS3-1 with new coils installed 2 years ago when most of the other systems (not engine or drive train) were also replaced.
I took that stupid thing out on yesterday and rode for an hour without incident. Today I didn't get 1 mile from my place before it started acting up again. The next time this happens I will start pulling plug wires to see if any of the cylinders are dead. As full disclosure I also did a full oil change last weekend (8 days ago). I have ordered the fuel filter and will swap that sometime this week (next 2 or 3 days) and take it for a ride.
Thanks again for all the reply's.

waikikirex

Postby waikikirex » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:58 pm

Grindl, when you say "go purchase the manual" are you referring to the "Service Manual" or some other manual?
Recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

SnoBrdr

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:47 pm

waikikirex wrote:Thanks again all, It seems that the bike had a new DYNA S DS3-1 with new coils installed 2 years ago when most of the other systems (not engine or drive train) were also replaced.
I took that stupid thing out on yesterday and rode for an hour without incident. Today I didn't get 1 mile from my place before it started acting up again. The next time this happens I will start pulling plug wires to see if any of the cylinders are dead. As full disclosure I also did a full oil change last weekend (8 days ago). I have ordered the fuel filter and will swap that sometime this week (next 2 or 3 days) and take it for a ride.
Thanks again for all the reply's.

Same thing that happened with mine.

Dyna was dead.

Get the Honda service manual at least.

The Clymers is OK but the service manual is tops.

I have both the hard copy and a cd-rom version.

Grindl

Postby Grindl » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:16 pm

I have always had both the factory service manual and a copy of the Clymer's . I found that the Clymer's sometimes has better explanations for some of the assembly / dis-assembly and testing processes , and also better quality photo's , in some instances . Necessary for "Newbies" to get a good understanding of Wing motors and parts . I have always referred to both manuals , to check for contradictions , and clarity . No single reference is "carved-in-stone" bullet-proof .

There is never any such thing as "too much information" , in my book . They are both worth the money .

waikikirex

Postby waikikirex » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:07 pm

Snobrdr;
Do you think the DYNA could have failed in less than 2 seasons?

Wow. Thanks.

SnoBrdr

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:04 am

waikikirex wrote:Snobrdr;
Do you think the DYNA could have failed in less than 2 seasons?

Wow. Thanks.

Yes.

My feeling with anything electrical is that it could fail in a day or last 20 years.

There are so many things that can go wrong, broken wire, bad solder, dirty connection etc.

waikikirex

Postby waikikirex » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:36 pm

How hard is it to replace that DYNA? Would there be a "How-To Article" for that on the GL1000 or GL1100?

Thanks.

:D

SnoBrdr

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:53 pm

waikikirex wrote:How hard is it to replace that DYNA? Would there be a "How-To Article" for that on the GL1000 or GL1100?

Thanks.

:D

Not that hard at all.

They provide real good instructions.

I went in a different direction, I installed a C5 complete setup.

The Dynas are fine but are dated.

Best money I ever spent on the bike but it is not cheap.

waikikirex

Postby waikikirex » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:02 pm

**UPDATE**
I replaced the fuel filter (that was the first part to arrive) and then pulled the cover off my ignition just to make sure there wasn't anything obvious.
I took the bike out for a test ride. 15 minutes in-town riding no faster than 40mph and I had no issues. The previous 2 attempts at riding both ended quickly with the "Issue" popping up. I don't consider the bike fixed but I am more hopeful today than I was yesterday. In fact the past 3 times that the "Issue" popped up I was riding the same stretch of road and it happened at the same general location on that road so today on my test ride I went straight for that stretch of road just to punch it in the face fully expecting it to fail again. It didn't.
I will ride to work tomorrow at 6:15AM with some mist out and around 45 degrees so that should be a shock for it and I'm sure it will fail then too. I typed that with my fingers crossed. ;)

I will let you all know tomorrow night how it went.

Thanks again for all your help.

KCCO.

Rex

waikikirex

Postby waikikirex » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:42 pm

**UPDATE**
Okay so it rained like hell on Friday so I didn't ride to work. I waited until this morning (Sat) and went out and started it and the damn thing started presenting the "Issue". I used a few choice words and decided I would let it warm up anyway. I let it run for about 2 minutes then shut it down. I came back 10 minutes later and started it without any issues. Then I took it on a 30 minute ride with 2 full shut downs during the ride. No issues at all on the ride until the last 5 minutes. I was rolling along at 35mph and the bike went into the "Issue" for about 10 seconds and then it stopped doing it just as quickly as it started. I am so damn confused.
I had another Goldwing mechanic tell me to spray mist onto the coils in a dark garage and see if there are any sparks or flashes. I will try that tonight and then move forward from there. :geek:

Thanks.

Rex

SnoBrdr

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:37 pm

waikikirex wrote:**UPDATE**
Okay so it rained like hell on Friday so I didn't ride to work. I waited until this morning (Sat) and went out and started it and the damn thing started presenting the "Issue". I used a few choice words and decided I would let it warm up anyway. I let it run for about 2 minutes then shut it down. I came back 10 minutes later and started it without any issues. Then I took it on a 30 minute ride with 2 full shut downs during the ride. No issues at all on the ride until the last 5 minutes. I was rolling along at 35mph and the bike went into the "Issue" for about 10 seconds and then it stopped doing it just as quickly as it started. I am so damn confused.
I had another Goldwing mechanic tell me to spray mist onto the coils in a dark garage and see if there are any sparks or flashes. I will try that tonight and then move forward from there. :geek:

Thanks.

Rex

That's exactly what mine was doing.

So it starts fine and when it gets hot it shuts off.

I had checked the coils and I knew they were fine.

I suspected it was the Dyna module getting to hot. I ran it with the points cover off so it was always getting air flow.

Worked fine and I got a spare cover and drilled air holes in it and ran that for a few months.

I finally got tired of all that and replaced it.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”