New owner...lots of questions


Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
BSArider
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:05 pm
Location: Hillsboro NH USA
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000
07 Suzuki Bandit
61 BSA A10
71 Norton Commando

New owner...lots of questions

Postby BSArider » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:29 pm



So I've find myself the owner of a very clean and apparently well maintained 1976 GL1000. You might guess by my user name that my passion has always been British iron, but my first bike was a 66 CB160 so I may have gone full circle here? Anyway, what bodywork/luggage if any may have been factory installed? Mine has a Vetter fairing and what looks like factory bags and topcase but were these available in 76? Next question: I know it needs carb cleaning, caliper and master cylinder rebuilds, and since it sat garaged for 15 years I'm thinking timing belts just in case. Any other items aside form tuneup stuff that should be checked out before waking it up?
Any and all suggestions/hints greatly appreciated.
Mike G



User avatar
raven41951
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:36 am
Location: Haverhill, MA
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Re: New owner...lots of questions

Postby raven41951 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:35 pm


SnoBrdr
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: New owner...lots of questions

Postby SnoBrdr » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:56 pm

BSArider wrote:So I've find myself the owner of a very clean and apparently well maintained 1976 GL1000. You might guess by my user name that my passion has always been British iron, but my first bike was a 66 CB160 so I may have gone full circle here? Anyway, what bodywork/luggage if any may have been factory installed? Mine has a Vetter fairing and what looks like factory bags and topcase but were these available in 76? Next question: I know it needs carb cleaning, caliper and master cylinder rebuilds, and since it sat garaged for 15 years I'm thinking timing belts just in case. Any other items aside form tuneup stuff that should be checked out before waking it up?
Any and all suggestions/hints greatly appreciated.
Mike G


There was never any "factory" installed luggage until Honda came out with the full dressed bikes.

I do have "HondaLine bags that were installed by the dealer.

http://www.randakksblog.com/starting-a-gl1000-after-a-long-lay-up/

Read that, he is one of the foremost experts in the world.

User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 2864
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: New owner...lots of questions

Postby dingdong » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:01 am

Don't put off replacing the timing belts. Do them before anything else. Sitting 15 years insures that they will break if you run the engine.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

BSArider
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:05 pm
Location: Hillsboro NH USA
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000
07 Suzuki Bandit
61 BSA A10
71 Norton Commando

Re: New owner...lots of questions

Postby BSArider » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:53 am

Thanks for the links. Further investigation shows it's actually a 1978 model bought new in 79 but still not sure of the origins of the fairing and bags. Either way, I saved it from being parted out and the leftovers scrapped and it was at a price I couldn't pass up . I'm thinking this will make a better sidecar tug than my BSA A10.


SnoBrdr
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: New owner...lots of questions

Postby SnoBrdr » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:43 am

BSArider wrote:Thanks for the links. Further investigation shows it's actually a 1978 model bought new in 79 but still not sure of the origins of the fairing and bags. Either way, I saved it from being parted out and the leftovers scrapped and it was at a price I couldn't pass up . I'm thinking this will make a better sidecar tug than my BSA A10.

WING1.png


The Vetter faring was one of many options for the GLs.

They sold thousands and thousands.

The company is still in business and you can still buy parts from them. http://www.craigvetter.com/index.html

Same with the bags. My Honda line were made by American Tourister/Samsonite. I think your may be Bates but not 100% sure from the picture.

Wish I had seen that for sale as I would have also grabbed it, just for future reference.

Lots of people use them for sidecar rigs.

User avatar
spiralout
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:41 pm
Location: Alabama
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Re: New owner...lots of questions

Postby spiralout » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:51 pm


User avatar
offcenter
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:10 pm
Location: Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Re: New owner...lots of questions

Postby offcenter » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:03 am

I own three Vetter fairings, and I can tell you that yours is NOT a Vetter.
It's one of the many imitations that came out back in that time period.
Post some better pictures here, or on "Classic Goldwings" and someone
may be able to tell you exactly what it is that you have.
That luggage is not Vetter either. Probably from the same company
that made the fairing.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

Old Fogey
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:09 am
Location: Glasgow Scotland
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000
Contact:

Re: New owner...lots of questions

Postby Old Fogey » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:00 pm

I think your bags and fairing may Arthur Fuller, quite rare.
Whiskerfish, webmaster on NGW has a full set on his GL1000

Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

BSArider
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:05 pm
Location: Hillsboro NH USA
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000
07 Suzuki Bandit
61 BSA A10
71 Norton Commando

Re: New owner...lots of questions

Postby BSArider » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:00 pm

Old Fogey wrote:I think your bags and fairing may Arthur Fuller, quite rare.
Whiskerfish, webmaster on NGW has a full set on his GL1000

P7191518.JPG


They are indeed Fulmer. I had not had the chance to look the bike over much till the weekend past. Both the bags and fairing say Arthur Fulmer on them.
Thanks




Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests