New Owner - Major Question

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Cscib
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

New Owner - Major Question

Postby Cscib » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:21 pm

I just got the deal of a lifetime, finding a 78/79 GL1000 for sale dirt cheap with a clean title, around 10,000 miles on it, and pretty much everything with the bike all together. Only catch on the bike is that there was an electrical fire that started under the seat somewhere. The PO was riding it, noticed a little smoke, pulled over and killed the engine before the fire really started. Since then, it sat outside for about a year and now I am the proud new owner. The question is - where do I even start on it? I know the main priority for me is getting the engine running. I already know I will be needing new carbs and a complete wiring harness along with handle bar controls. Is there anything specific I should look at or try in order to make sure the engine isn't damaged without tearing the whole thing apart? I could tear it down if I have to but I would like to avoid that if possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

deanbw
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200a aspencade . Honda xl600r, '68 z50, '82z50, '80cx500c, '00 klr250

Re: New Owner - Major Question

Postby deanbw » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:11 pm

if it has only sat for a year, I would drain gas from tank and carbs, change oil. either wire up ignition or replace wire harness and see what it does. you could pull the spark plugs, the plug behind the stator and turning clockwise, see if it turns over first if your worried about it being frozen.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:34 pm

I am sure the wiring harness is available from somewhere, just don't expect a lot of parts to be readily available at your local Honda dealer.

My first priority would be to take it apart to see what is damaged and then to see if I could locate those parts before investing a lot of time.

Just curious about the story from the PO, this bike is about 37 years old and only has 10,000 miles. Either the mileage is really 110,000+ or this bike has sat for a lot longer than the story.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Cscib
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Postby Cscib » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:04 pm

Thank you. I'll be pulling the plugs and draining everything tonight then hopefully picking up some oil for it tomorrow morning before work. I really appreciate the help. I know I'll be needing new carbs and all the wires and cables and anything electrical. I just didn't know if it would be worth buying the harness and getting small stuff like that hooked up to try getting it going or if I would have to tear apart the engine to be able to tell if there was any damage. As far as the damage goes, it looks like the carbs are as far down as the fire got to and thats even pushing it since the damage to them could just be a result of the heat since they're not scorched or anything, just slightly melted.

And as far as the mileage goes - the person I bought it from was not the original owner. He was the second owner and he bought it about two years ago, got to ride it just a handful of times before the electric fire happened, then it sat for a year. The title says 9,xxx miles. He is one of those people that only goes for the best things and was searching for a few years before he bought that bike so it doesn't surprise me that he bought a bike that old with that few miles.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”