help - 78 slow shifting and rear brake issue

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Holmes5150
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000

help - 78 slow shifting and rear brake issue

Postby Holmes5150 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:07 am

This is my first bike ive actually bought to work on. ive had a crotch rocket in the past but it never had any issues.

Firstly, I'm having trouble with the gears. ive searched on here and cant find exactly what I'm looking for.

Its been sitting awhile, and the first time ive actually ridden the bike since I got it was last night. The only other time being bringing it home a week ago and then it went to the shop to fix an starting issue. I believe the guy did more damage to set himself up for more work costs which is ****, it has more issues now that I have it home than when I got it.

Its really sluggish engaging into each gear. I have to rev the throttle pretty far to get it to go, and once I shift its taking longer than before to pick up.

Also, the rear break isn't working? the pedal does nothing. I looked at the rear cylinder and the cap was BARELY tightened on, and there was literally no brake fluid in there. I'm thinking I just need to bleed it? the problem is I cant get that hose off connected to the rear caliper, the hose on there will not let me unscrew it it just twists the entire hose and spins back.

I know these are probably easy but ive never in my life worked on a bike I'm learning as I go. I did add some seafoam to the tank when I filled it up last.

also had something draining it and read to change a fuse on the left side of the fake tank with a new housing and 30 amp fuse, started right up today without being on the charger so hopefully that's fixed.

any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Re: help - 78 slow shifting and rear brake issue

Postby Old Fogey » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Holmes5150 wrote:This is my first bike ive actually bought to work on. ive had a crotch rocket in the past but it never had any issues.

Firstly, I'm having trouble with the gears. ive searched on here and cant find exactly what I'm looking for.

Its been sitting awhile, and the first time ive actually ridden the bike since I got it was last night. The only other time being bringing it home a week ago and then it went to the shop to fix an starting issue. I believe the guy did more damage to set himself up for more work costs which is ****, it has more issues now that I have it home than when I got it.

Its really sluggish engaging into each gear. I have to rev the throttle pretty far to get it to go, and once I shift its taking longer than before to pick up.
Do you mean slow to get the gear to engage, or slow to accelerate once they are engaged?
If the bike has been sitting for a long time, in all likelyhood the carbs need an overhaul, especially if they had been sitting with fule in them.

Also, the rear break isn't working? the pedal does nothing. I looked at the rear cylinder and the cap was BARELY tightened on, and there was literally no brake fluid in there. I'm thinking I just need to bleed it? the problem is I cant get that hose off connected to the rear caliper, the hose on there will not let me unscrew it it just twists the entire hose and spins back.
You don't need to remove a hose to bleed the brake. There is a bleed nipple on the rear caliper. Be careful, they are very prone to snapping off, leaving you with a bigger problem.

I know these are probably easy but ive never in my life worked on a bike I'm learning as I go. I did add some seafoam to the tank when I filled it up last.

also had something draining it and read to change a fuse on the left side of the fake tank with a new housing and 30 amp fuse, started right up today without being on the charger so hopefully that's fixed.

any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

warhead_71
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Re: help - 78 slow shifting and rear brake issue

Postby warhead_71 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:52 am

Shifting: Mine did the same thing after sitting 5+ years. Clutch basket gets gummed up with old oil and doesn't shift easy... especially trying to find neutral from a stop or clunking into gear from 1>2. I drained enough oil to add a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil and ran that for 100miles... then did an oil change. I use 20w50 in the summer and 10w40 in the winter. After the oil change it shifts perfectly again.

Rear brake: You should not have to remove the brake hose to bleed it... you crack open the bleeder valves and pump fluid through until no bubbles. Google how to bleed brakes. But some other things to check: The brake pedal itself is notorious for getting rusty and not working. I had to hit mine with WD40 to keep it from sticking. There is also a tiny return hole in the MC that often gets clogged. The pistons get cruddy after sitting for more than 2 years... you might have to pop them most (or all) of the way out and use emery cloth to remove the crud. Use a C-clamp to push them back in.
78 GL1000 Goldwing "Superhawk" - album
previous bikes: 84 V65 Magna | 83 V45 Magna | 81 CB650 | 68 CL350 | 69 CB350 | 76 CB360T | 73, 74, 76 CB750K

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”