Bike stranded, probable ignition switch

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Clredmond622
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda goldwing 1100I

Bike stranded, probable ignition switch

Postby Clredmond622 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:49 pm

So I had to do what I hate and leave my bike stranded. I believe it is an ignition switch problem, I turn the key and I get nothing. No neutral light, no instrument lights, and most of all no way to start it. It's done this twice before but usually I can turn the key to off and back on a couple of times and eventually everything will kick on. So tonight it happened again after me and the wife had dinner out and it wouldn't ever come on. It was late so after a half hour or so of checking everything and wiggling the key I just called a cab. So my question is if there is a way I can bypass the ignition to get it home so I can properly work on it while not sitting in a crowded mall parking lot, haha. Surely there's a way to just jump past my ignition so I can get it home. Any help would be greatly appreciated and save me a 75$ tow bill. Thanks.

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Re: Bike stranded, probable ignition switch

Postby ekvh » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:21 pm

Check your 30 amp fuse first, they can look good but be corroded and have a micro crack. It sounds like ignition switch. It's a pain with a full fairing, but you can just pull the connector off and jump three wires to ride. I made a piggy back of three wires with all male connectors and keep it in my wallet now. You need your main hot(red) centre I think, connecting to one for ignition and another for lights. On mine they're all on one side.

Clredmond622

Postby Clredmond622 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:51 pm

Yeah, when I go back tomorrow I'm taking some fuses, wire strippers and plenty of electrical tape to get it home, haha. I was looking at a schematic and it looks like I need to connect all the wires except the solid brown parking light wire. When I was looking at it earlier I think I saw the harness for the ignition switch but I'm not 100% certain. I assume it's the black harness directly below the switch itself. Luckily my goldwing is naked so It shouldn't be too terribly bad getting to it.

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby ekvh » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:27 am

My safety pin.

Clredmond622

Postby Clredmond622 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:46 am

Well I've successfully hot wired my first goldwing, haha. I didn't have any blades to make a nice "spare" key like yours, I'll have to get some at work tonight in case this happens again. I only had some 20awg wire in hand this morning so I was having trouble getting a good connection. After doubling it up it finally worked well enough to get it home. All in all though it was the red(hot) wire, the black wire, and the green wire that had to be connected to get it running. Thanks for the help !!

Clredmond622

Postby Clredmond622 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:09 pm

So I guess my next question will be concerning a replacement ignition switch. I'm looking on fleabay and I'm seeing a lot of aftermarket 80 and 81 gl1100 ignitions priced cheap but not a lot of 82s at a reasonable price. What are the compatibility between years? Would any 6 blade connector with an acc setting work?

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”