Timing Belt Tension ???

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
swr1977
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000

Timing Belt Tension ???

Postby swr1977 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:58 pm

I have taken the timing belt covers off to check the belts, and to me they look good but I'm unsure of the tension. Both belts only have tension on the side with the tensioner, the other is very loose!

Please look at my video and advise if this good or bad!?

I've also attached some pics of the belts. Please let me know if they look OK!?

Also while inspecting I found what looks like a slipped seal behind the right timing sprocket. Should I be concerned about this?
Attachments
Right Side
Right Side
Right Side
Right Side
Right Side
Right Side
Left Side
Left Side
Left Side
Left Side
Left Side
Left Side
slipped seal?
slipped seal?
slipped seal?
slipped seal?

For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Timing Belt Tension ???

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:07 pm

The non-tensioned side of the timing belt doesn't matter - the amount of tension on it will change as the engine rotates, and the valve springs exert force at different points during the rotation on the cam, which will pull that belt more or less against the crank pulley.

What matters is the tension on the side with the tensioner pulley.

As for whether they "look good" or not - you can't tell the condition of a timing belt by looking at it. One that is going to fail the next time you start the bike can look exactly the same as one that was just put on and will run for another 100,000 miles. The rule of thumb is, if you don't know when the last time was that the belts were replaced, then you need to replace them.

swr1977
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000

Postby swr1977 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:40 pm

WingAdmin wrote:The non-tensioned side of the timing belt doesn't matter - the amount of tension on it will change as the engine rotates, and the valve springs exert force at different points during the rotation on the cam, which will pull that belt more or less against the crank pulley.

What matters is the tension on the side with the tensioner pulley.

As for whether they "look good" or not - you can't tell the condition of a timing belt by looking at it. One that is going to fail the next time you start the bike can look exactly the same as one that was just put on and will run for another 100,000 miles. The rule of thumb is, if you don't know when the last time was that the belts were replaced, then you need to replace them.

Thanks WingAdmin!

You always give great advise... I'll change them soon!

What is/are you thoughts on the last few pictures of what looks to me like a maybe a seal or spacer that's slipped out ... The pictures are taken looking through the right side timing gear/sprocket.
For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:08 pm

It certainly does look like that - and there is definitely oil there, which you don't want getting onto your timing belts.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”