Driveshaft removal on a 75

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
GoldLokiToad
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000, & 78

Driveshaft removal on a 75

Postby GoldLokiToad » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:27 pm

SO, I'm new here, I joined because I am doing my 1st complete rebuild on a '75. While anxiously awaiting my Clymer and Haynes manuals, I've been pulling whole bunches of goodies and doodads off the bike with little complication. However I have never worked on a shaft driven, nor has my buddy, who is going to teach me the ins and outs of the engine rebuild. Anyway, last night I got to the swing arm, and I figured out the final drive and brake removal no problem. Came in this morning and got the bolts out of the swing arm pivot, with little issue, I am however completely vexed and in a war trying to figure out how to get the shaft to release. Have I missed some hidden snap ring or something. I've tried YouTube with no luck. Any assist is appreciated. Also any clues an popping a stubborn head, bolts are out and I've tapped like a flamenco dancer and PB Blasted but it still refuses to budge. I was contemplating using heat via a heat gun, but sort of want the gas tank off 1st and that seems to require the swing arm removal. Am I talking in cycles? 'cause I kind of feel like I am.

smittyboy734
Motorcycle: 1978 gl1000..owner 70 cl70 .previously owned 82 cb750k,76 cb500T ,78 kz650,71 H1500

Re: Driveshaft removal on a 75

Postby smittyboy734 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:36 pm

Yes there is an inner clip that can be seen by pulling dust cover back from engine side of shaft and rotate the shaft till you can get to it

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:44 pm

GoldLokiToad wrote:SO, I'm new here, I joined because I am doing my 1st complete rebuild on a '75. While anxiously awaiting my Clymer and Haynes manuals, I've been pulling whole bunches of goodies and doodads off the bike with little complication. However I have never worked on a shaft driven, nor has my buddy, who is going to teach me the ins and outs of the engine rebuild. Anyway, last night I got to the swing arm, and I figured out the final drive and brake removal no problem. Came in this morning and got the bolts out of the swing arm pivot, with little issue, I am however completely vexed and in a war trying to figure out how to get the shaft to release. Have I missed some hidden snap ring or something. I've tried YouTube with no luck. Any assist is appreciated. Also any clues an popping a stubborn head, bolts are out and I've tapped like a flamenco dancer and PB Blasted but it still refuses to budge. I was contemplating using heat via a heat gun, but sort of want the gas tank off 1st and that seems to require the swing arm removal. Am I talking in cycles? 'cause I kind of feel like I am.

Gas tank removal does not require you to remove the swing arm.

The whole rear of the bike does have to come off.

Are you sure you removed all the bolts from the head?

Do you have a service manual, if not, you really should get one before you go further. The two you mentioned are OK but you should really have a Honda Shop Manual.

Be aware that many, actually most of the internal enigine parts are no longer available anywhere, well http://www.wingovations.com/ sometimes have them.

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby ekvh » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:48 pm

You'll need right angle snap ring pliers to get it. There is one also on the other end, usually buried in grease. It needs fairly long nosed snap ring pliers. You don't need it out to remove the swingarm, but it isn't a bad idea to pull it, clean, check spline wear, and re-grease with moly 60.

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:38 am

Isn't there an easy-to-miss bolt below-center? I could be wrong, but...

Let us know how it goes..

Ron in AZ
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:55 pm

I just checked the parts fiche on Ron Ayers' site, and there are 6 long flange bolts and one shorter one which appears centered in the head and low. I seem to recollect that it isn't uncommon to miss it during disassembly. Good luck, and again,, let us know how things go.

Ron

Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”