1977 GL1000 Running Hot

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
JMF1982
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

1977 GL1000 Running Hot

Postby JMF1982 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:46 pm

Good evening!

I have looked on the forum for answers to this but everyone is saying a few different things. Here is my situation: motor runs well, but once I ride for longer than 10 minutes, the temp gauge keeps climbing all the way to the upper end of normal (sometimes higher). If I ride slowly around 3000-3500 rpm, the temp will hover towards the upper end of normal. The fan cuts on when it's supposed to and seems to run fine. Any revving or higher speeds will cause the temp to go up. I have replaced the thermostat and have plenty of fresh coolant in the radiator, which has clean fins. What would my other options to fix be? Water pump? If so, how would I test the pump? Could it be a temp sensor or...? Any help would be appreciated. I've put a lot of work and time in the old girl and would love to be able to confidently ride it to Barber Vintage Fest in 6 weeks.

JF

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Re: 1977 GL1000 Running Hot

Postby redbug » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:55 am

Lets pull the water pump cover and do a inspection on the pump. You can grab a hold of the pump and try to wiggle the shaft up and down looking for free play. If you have free play it is water pump time. Also take your radiator to the shop and have it cleaned. Inspect hoses. sometimes the hoses will come apart on the inside and cause a restriction. Did you burp the cooling system?
Pull your spark plugs and inspect them, any of them pure white? Possible head gasket problem? A leak down test will confirm this. Was the thermostat you replaced a aftermarket or a Honda? Yes I know it will fit and I get flak for this but there is a difference. Oem when you can.
Spent two days at Barber in the museum, absolutely a fantastic place and facility. Your motor will be ready, take your time as every one sezs around here and send pictures of crossing the finish line. Keep us posted.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:02 pm

JMF1982 wrote:Good evening!

I have looked on the forum for answers to this but everyone is saying a few different things. Here is my situation: motor runs well, but once I ride for longer than 10 minutes, the temp gauge keeps climbing all the way to the upper end of normal (sometimes higher). If I ride slowly around 3000-3500 rpm, the temp will hover towards the upper end of normal. The fan cuts on when it's supposed to and seems to run fine. Any revving or higher speeds will cause the temp to go up. I have replaced the thermostat and have plenty of fresh coolant in the radiator, which has clean fins. What would my other options to fix be? Water pump? If so, how would I test the pump? Could it be a temp sensor or...? Any help would be appreciated. I've put a lot of work and time in the old girl and would love to be able to confidently ride it to Barber Vintage Fest in 6 weeks.

JF

Don't base everything on the GLs gauges.

They are mainly just guides and really don't give you a true picture of what's going on.

JMF1982
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Postby JMF1982 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:49 pm

redbug wrote:Lets pull the water pump cover and do a inspection on the pump. You can grab a hold of the pump and try to wiggle the shaft up and down looking for free play. If you have free play it is water pump time. Also take your radiator to the shop and have it cleaned. Inspect hoses. sometimes the hoses will come apart on the inside and cause a restriction. Did you burp the cooling system?
Pull your spark plugs and inspect them, any of them pure white? Possible head gasket problem? A leak down test will confirm this. Was the thermostat you replaced a aftermarket or a Honda? Yes I know it will fit and I get flak for this but there is a difference. Oem when you can.
Spent two days at Barber in the museum, absolutely a fantastic place and facility. Your motor will be ready, take your time as every one sezs around here and send pictures of crossing the finish line. Keep us posted.

Thanks for your reply! I think that may be a good idea. I know it has the original water pump. The bike sat for a long time before I rescued it; I am sure it needs the radiator to be flushed. I replaced the hoses when I got the bike, so they should be fine. Plugs look good and I replaced the head gaskets not long ago. I used a genuine Honda thermostat, so I should be ok there. Once I get the radiator flushed and tested, I'll give you an update! Probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead and replace the water pump anyway.

Happy Riding! You should consider coming to the Vintage Festival at Barber if you've never been. It's a really cool weekend.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”