GL1000 restoration progress questions

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Bugmerc
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE
1976 GL1000

GL1000 restoration progress questions

Postby Bugmerc » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:10 pm

OK, the restoration is proceeding well. The bike is completely taken apart.
First question- books. I have a Clymer Manual, is that enough? Does Haynes have different info? I plan to go completely through the engine including cracking the case. I plan to get Randakks DVD on carbs. Website says he's on vacation until Sept 17, that IS this year right?
Second- powder coating. The frame will go off to powder coat later this week. I will also do the swing arm and peg mounts, maybe battery box. Those of you that have powdered your frame, how do you handle the little bendy bits that hold the wiring harness? Obviously if they are powder coated they will not bend any more. If they get masked off I can paint them with black plastic dip, but some are bent all to heck and may break if I bend them one more time. Considering removing them but how would I mount the wire harness? I think wire ties would look tacky on the build. Any thought?
So far I have no idea what the heck I am doing, but I am enjoying the hell out it! Lots of parts to rehab and a bunch to replace.
I am taking lots of photos and will do a rebuild thread as I get closer, I don't want to start a thread then run out of money and have the thread stall...

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: GL1000 restoration progress questions

Postby dingdong » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:10 am

When I had my 76 frame powder coated that question never occurred to me. There was no problem at all with bending the tabs afterwards. I had one damaged tab so I brazed it back together. The manual I used was the official Honda manual. I did a complete rebuild with it including splitting the case, checking the specs on everything, replacing the rings and rebuilding the heads. I have heard that the Clymer as well as the Haynes manuals have mistakes here and there.
I would recommend powder coating the battery box as well as the heat shield and mounting brackets in front of the engine also the fan mounting bracket. Some of those smaller items I didn't have powder coated and later wished that I had. Looks so much better and holds up better than paint. Good luck!
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”