Hello from Iowa!

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Leedutcher
Motorcycle: 1978 gl1000, 1982 gs1100e, 2003 Suzuki hayabusa

Hello from Iowa!

Postby Leedutcher » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:19 pm

Im a young vintage motorcycle enthusiast and do small repairs on vintage bikes here and there in my free time. Always enjoyed the look and styling of naked goldwing. I recent acquired one for almost nothing with a title. Been sitting in storage for 7 years and has not been on the ride sence 2009. It's a 3rd owner bike and has about 18k on it. It had a better fearing on it but I removed it due to poor wiring and just plain ugly (imo). If it were the Vetter sound fairing now I would of kept it. So on to the questions. This bike 100% complete just need freshing up. Like carbs, oil, coolant, and a decent wire check up( I'm in the process of doing now). It alot more then I'm used to and I expected being suck a luxury cruiser of its time. Anyways I was wondering what oil is preferred in the engine. I run alot of rottela diesel oil (no friction modifiers) thru alot of my daily drivers (my xs1100, gs1000g, kz650, xs650, xs400) due to the high zinc found in the oil and is good for top end rockers. Also is there anyone who has the wires that go down to the points the ones I have on the bike are the wrong gauge and are poorly repaired. Coils wire have broken off its spark plug boots understanding they can be trimmed and screwed back on however finding it kind of difficult with the water guard on the plug boot that sits in the well. Next I'm having in issue with the little black box located under the left side fake tank cover. Seems the p/o have cobbled the wing to remove it and would like to see if anyone has done the same. Next is what are the better option for all the above and maybe some tricks along the way. It runs sorta on carb cleaner but the points are gunked up and need replacing. I'll be posting pictures of it I'll form and current state shortly as soon as I can get then uploaded to photo bucket.

Leedutcher
Motorcycle: 1978 gl1000, 1982 gs1100e, 2003 Suzuki hayabusa

Re: Hello from Iowa!

Postby Leedutcher » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:25 pm

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”