Brake Disc Material?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Brake Disc Material?

Postby Solina Dave » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:32 am

I've been searching for information regarding brake discs, and which material is best in their construction. There seems to be a lot of differing opinions.
I've got a '78 GL1000, and I think the front discs might be warped. I'm getting quite significant pulsing when braking, especially just before coming to a full stop. I'm afraid to buy used discs on ebay, in case I just go from bad to worse, and throw my money out the window. So I'm looking at new replacements, that look like the original discs, but are stainless steel, not cast iron. What I'm having trouble with is, even the supplier of the new stainless steel discs, says that braking is "rubbish" compared to cast iron discs. I might be wrong, but I'm thinking that newer motorcycles likely all use stainless steel discs, and a new Goldwing weighs 300 lbs. more than my bike. So I'm confused.
Any information, or help, or suggestions would be welcome. I'd like to keep the original, look of the bike, as much as I possibly can. The stainless steel original style replacement discs would cost me over $400 delivered. Not cheap!

Thanks.....................Dave

"Assume Nothing"

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: Brake Disc Material?

Postby Dusty Boots » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:35 am

Dave ..... these ones (OEM) look to be in very good condition and would be a whole lot cheaper shipped to Buffalo (or Ogdensburg) for pick up, than those replacements you are looking at!!
I had to replace my front right one earlier this year and it came from eBay and was in great condition!!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:56 am

There are two negatives with cast iron. No way cast iron will wear like SS and cast iron will rust and look terrible. Both deal killers for me.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:02 am

Dusty Boots wrote:Dave ..... these ones look to be in very good condition.....

Dusty........I think you nailed it. I just ordered those discs that you suggested. Apparently the '78 Wing they came off only had 47,000 miles on the ODO. I hope that was on the first time around. They look to be in good shape, so I'm satisfied, and the price was realistic. The seller seems to right into it, so I'm fairly confident. The disc thickness they indicate (4.85 mm and 4.82 mm) is right at the lower end of the factory spec. (4.8 mm to 5.2 mm), but I'll live with that. They were $77 USD and $102 CDN delivered to Solina. That exchange rate's a killer!
It turns out that the stainless steel, original look, discs were going to be $432 CDN plus shipping ???. I never did get any cost for shipping. So all in all it was going to be a very expensive route to take. The whole idea was moot anyway, because I just received an email saying that they were unavailable, and there was no estimate as to when they would be available.
Anyway, that's my story so far. Thanks again for your help Dusty. How's everything going in Alvinston? Was it a good move?

Ride safe............................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:18 am

Glad I could help out!

Re the move ... it was a long, drawn out process, requiring many trips back and forth with truck and trailers @ 5 hr drive each way!!
Worth it though.
Low taxes, 20' x 30' shop with a loft above, 2 bdrm back split completely renovated 5 yrs ago, huge surround 2 level deck, located on the edge of a very small community, 45 min from the border!!
Still busy renovating the shop when I have time, to make it mine

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:18 am

Dusty Boots wrote:Glad I could help out!
Re the move ... it was a long, drawn out process. Worth it though.
Still busy renovating the 20' x 30' shop, with a loft above, when I have time, to make it mine

Good for you Dusty.
The stress of the move is history now. Now you'll have fun staying focused on that shop, with the loft above of course, and making it mine!

Thanks again................................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:35 pm

dingdong wrote:There are two negatives with cast iron. No way cast iron will wear like SS and cast iron will rust and look terrible. Both deal killers for me.

Are the front discs original equipment on your '76 GL, and if so, are they stainless steel or cast iron? And also do you know if, whichever they are, was that feature carried on though the entire GL1000 line, '75 to '79? The discs on my '78 don't have a speck of rust. I can't seem to find the material spec. for the discs anywhere.

Does anyone have a link to detailed specs., including the brake discs, for the GL1000s?

Thank you..................gimme a brake! :lol: ..........Dave
"Assume Nothing"

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:07 am

I don't know the actual make up either but all Wing rotors are some sort of stainless steel. I don't think I have ever seen cast iron rotors on a motorcycle.
For one thing cast iron is brittle. I doubt at the relatively thin dimensions of motorcycle rotors that cast iron would hold up very well compared to SS. Motorcycle rotors are so hard they can't be turned on conventional automotive lathes that resurface cast iron rotors.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:57 am

dingdong wrote:I don't know the actual make up either but all Wing rotors are some sort of stainless steel. I don't think I have ever seen cast iron rotors on a motorcycle.
For one thing cast iron is brittle. I doubt at the relatively thin dimensions of motorcycle rotors that cast iron would hold up very well compared to SS

Thanks Tom. I didn't know that, about the brittle nature of cast iron, so it would make sense not to use it on a thinner motorcycle disc. I was reading a suppliers comment, about the discs they provided for a GL1000 that said, "brake discs are manufactured to OEM specifications, replica made from stainless steel (sus 420)." According to that comment it would appear that the original OEM spec. was stainless steel sus420.
And also a quote from a different supplier, "Front Left/Right Brake Disc for Honda GL 1000 Gold Wing 1978 - 1979 with ABE....... Stainless steel SUS420 - Comes with ABE." I guess that answers all my questions well enough, although I have no idea what, "comes with ABE" means.
At any rate, my replacement discs that I purchased on ebay, should be here any day now. The seller said that they're not warped, so that's encouraging. The vast majority of sellers won't make that statement.

Thanks again for your comments...........................Dave

"Assume Nothing"

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”