Picked up a half cafe'd bike, need to make it nice.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Strelok
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Picked up a half cafe'd bike, need to make it nice.

Postby Strelok » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:16 am

Moved to SF, my DRZ got stolen instantly, needed a new DD, picked up this 78 for $500, rode it 1.5 hours home.

Front brakes don't function at all, controls are all hard as rocks with no feel, forks are slightly tweaked, doesn't idle, runs rich as hell getting under 30mpg, but starts and runs every day and the tires got some meat on em. Came with a big ol' box of goodies too: 3 either brand new or resurfaced front rotors, one new or resurfaced rear rotor, pads for all three calipers, rebuild kit for both front calipers, rebuild kit for front master.

Also: Digital ignition and an oil cooler?

I put the stock bars back on it for now, they are more comfortable and the cables are routed better so they work a bit more, it handles like **** like this though. I have some drag bars coming, hopefully that will be a good middle ground. I need some shorter cables - anyone know a source? Don't really have tools or space to make my own, been wrenching on this thing on the sidewalk, rebuilding the brakes in a cardboard box in my bedroom...

The chassis has 95k miles on it, PO said the guy before him rebuilt the motor 25k ago and bored it to 1100 - the VIN's don't match so I'm thinking he just swapped an 1100 motor, how can I tell the difference? I've never tuned a carb for unknown engine mods before...

Here's some more pictures with plenty of random unplugged wires: http://imgur.com/a/kUIYw

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Picked up a half cafe'd bike, need to make it nice.

Postby dingdong » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:30 am

What any PO did to the engine internally we won't know however that is a gl1000 engine. Since it has an old Dyna ignition. Carbs are gl1000. Gl1100s come with E I. VIN numbers don't match frame to engine on this bike. Curious why an oil cooler was installed. Looks like you have some work to do. Lots of goop in the brake system but typical. One thing you will need to do before you run the engine very much and that is to replace the timing belts. If one breaks there will be valve and or piston damage. Check the How To section on this site. Good luck to you.

Here is a comprehensive website for information on restoring the bike. http://www.randakksblog.com

Another: http://www.ngwclub.com
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:15 pm

dingdong wrote:What any PO did to the engine internally we won't know however that is a gl1000 engine. Since it has an old Dyna ignition. Carbs are gl1000. Gl1100s come with E I. VIN numbers don't match frame to engine on this bike. Curious why an oil cooler was installed. Looks like you have some work to do. Lots of goop in the brake system but typical. One thing you will need to do before you run the engine very much and that is to replace the timing belts. If one breaks there will be valve and or piston damage. Check the How To section on this site. Good luck to you.

Here is a comprehensive website for information on restoring the bike. http://www.randakksblog.com

Another: http://www.ngwclub.com

Sounds like the brake hoses may have collapsed or the master/calipers are just unreal cruddy.

Strelok

Postby Strelok » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:27 pm

Got the drag bars on today. Good middle ground for handling and comfort seems like.

I tore the calipers off and tried to take them apart. Couldn't get the pistons out, don't have compressed air, so going to a buddy's garage later to try and bleed the brakes and get the pistons out that way. I'm confident I can get one out, once it's out dunno how I'll seal that side off and get the other out. Maybe hook it directly up to the master instead of the valve on the forks I guess.

I still need a source for shorter cables.

Strelok

Postby Strelok » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:12 am

Got the pistons out of the front brakes. One is shot, the other meh... boy is this easy brake fix turning out to be a lot of trouble. $46 later I have two new pistons on the way.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”