Instrument/Running lights issue

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
alby
Motorcycle: 1976 GL 1000

Instrument/Running lights issue

Postby alby » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:03 am

I have a 1976 GL 1000 and after doing some work to it have noticed that my speedo, tach, fuel gauge as well as the running lights in the tail light and two front turn signal lights are not working. I have gone through everything that I did which was remove and install the carbs after overhaul, I also had the coils out in an effort to install new ones which didn't work out as the ignition leads were too short so I put back the originals. The only electrical connections that were disconnected were those for the coils and all the plugs under the left side faux tank panel. I checked over and over and everything is reconnected properly. I am using the wiring diagram out of my original shop manual and am having a hard time figuring out what one thing that is common to all those lights I mentioned above that are not working that would cause this issue. I know from experience that the problem is usually caused by something you last touched but I can't find anything there. Could the reserve Light unit cause this? I know it doesn't operate those lights under normal conditions but it seems that it is tied in somehow. The wiring diagram isn't the easiest one to follow, for me anyway. The one ground that seems to be common to all appears to be good. I am trying to sell this bike which other than this issue is a beautiful bike so any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Al

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Instrument/Running lights issue

Postby dingdong » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:28 am

Have you checked the fuses?
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

alby
Motorcycle: 1976 GL 1000

Re: Instrument/Running lights issue

Postby alby » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:19 am

Yes, checked all fuses and grounds. I do see on the print that power for these lights originate through the ignition switch which is pretty easy to change and I just happen to have a brand new spare. I will change that out and see what happens. Will post results when I get it done. Thanks

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”