"Got The Engine Out. Now What?"

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

"Got The Engine Out. Now What?"

Postby Solina Dave » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:27 pm

I have a '78 GL1000, with somewhat over 200.000 kms. It will need a new stator installed, probably in the early spring. Since I'm not in a position to do the work myself, a very good motor cycle mechanic friend will be doing the work in his shop.
I'm the kind of person who likes to keep all his ducks in a row, so i'm interested in having some ideas to roll around in my mind, during my down-time this winter. I'd like to have some idea regarding what items it would be advisable to check/clean/replace etc., while the engine is out of the bike. Some things are impossible, or at the very least difficult, to service while the engine is still in the bike. Some things I know are accessible while the engine is still in place. Clutch plates, and the starter motor, for example. But even things that could be serviced, although with considerable difficulty while still installed, might be better serviced with the engine out of the bike. I wouldn't want to re-install the engine and then stand back and say, "damn, should have checked that!!" I'm definitely not talking about a major engine re-build.
Anything you could suggest, or advice you could pass on, would be appreciated. i just want to keep my mind, what's left of it, in the game. :lol:

Thank you..................................Dave

"Assume Nothing"

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Re: "Got The Engine Out. Now What?"

Postby landisr » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:21 pm

It wouldn't hurt to replace the timing belts if they're due. And the carbs?

Ron in AZ
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:51 am

Good time to remove and check/clean the oil strainer screen. (Lower right side of engine).
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:53 am

dingdong wrote:Good time to remove and check/clean the oil strainer screen. (Lower right side of engine).

Thanks Tom. I see that, and I'll do that. Good idea! :idea: ...............................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:42 pm

Solina Dave wrote:
dingdong wrote:Good time to remove and check/clean the oil strainer screen. (Lower right side of engine).

Thanks Tom. I see that, and I'll do that. Good idea! :idea: ...............................Dave

You could always paint the engine. usually needs it after 38 years.

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:29 pm

SnoBrdr wrote:
You could always paint the engine. usually needs it after 38 years.

That would be something to consider, but I don't think my friend would want the bike taking up space in his garage while it was happening. I'll give it some thought. It might be a good idea.
Thanks.................................................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

dingdong
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:57 pm

Just trying to think of things that are usually overlooked and hard or impossible with the engine in place.

Remove/clean neutral switch.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:53 pm

dingdong wrote:Just trying to think of things that are usually overlooked and hard or impossible with the engine in place.

Remove/clean neutral switch.

I had that on my list, but I didn't know if it could be accessed easily with the engine in, or only with the engine out.
Also, what about the starter clutch? How difficult is that to get at, and is it worth thinking about? I thought I heard somewhere about a Sea Foam treatment that would take care of a lot of oil sludge that might be hampering clutch engagement.
"Assume Nothing"

dingdong
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:23 am

You can access the switch but it is very hard to do. (flexing the frame is involved). Much easier with engine out. As for the starter clutch. Also difficult even with the engine out but doable. Read here: http://www.randakksblog.com/gl1000-star ... haul-tips/ Keep in mind that almost every thing you do may require new seals or gaskets. Rear cover gasket for example. With an engine that old you won't be able to reuse the old seals and gaskets.
Tom

Bartmead
Motorcycle: 77 GL1000 Goldwing
65 Honda Dream
07 V Star 1100 Silverado
08 Heritage Softail Classic

Postby Bartmead » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:30 am

I didn't read all of the comments but...I would replace the neutral switch with it out. I did it in the frame and it was difficult to say the least. The following summer I pulled the engine out to replace the head gaskets (no need to pull the engine for that but I also had to r and r the clutch cable and my giant meaty claws can barely fit back there). It would have saved me a pantload of time had I waited to replace the neutral switch with it out.

kndw
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 Plempbak

Postby kndw » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:02 am

As you said, put in new clutch plates. They're not that expensive, and you won't have to think out that.
A little tip: make sure your mechanic friend tucks the cables from stator exactly where they have to be. I had to replae the stator after a year because the rotor had ground away the cables, which had just a bit too much play!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”