temp gauge not working

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
shasta xx
Motorcycle: 1975 gl1000

temp gauge not working

Postby shasta xx » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:24 pm

Hello. Been reading lots of posts but havent seen my specific prob. Yet. Just acquired a 75 and have done all the basics (valve adj., timing, new plugs, fuel and oill filter).just got carbs back in after cleaning and adjusting. Think I still have a sm. vac leak somewhere. Temp gauge stopped working(Fuel gauge works fine).all fuses good. All grounds seem good. Im getting a 12 v. Reading from one wire going to 7v reg. But nothing from other. Any ideas would be much appriciated!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: temp gauge not working

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:01 am

shasta xx wrote:Hello. Been reading lots of posts but havent seen my specific prob. Yet. Just acquired a 75 and have done all the basics (valve adj., timing, new plugs, fuel and oill filter).just got carbs back in after cleaning and adjusting. Think I still have a sm. vac leak somewhere. Temp gauge stopped working(Fuel gauge works fine).all fuses good. All grounds seem good. Im getting a 12 v. Reading from one wire going to 7v reg. But nothing from other. Any ideas would be much appriciated!

If your fuel gauge is working normally, then your 7 volt regulator is fine. Both the temp and fuel gauges work off the same 7 volt feed from that regulator.

Look at your temp gauge - there is an input side (which is the +7 volt feed from the regulator) and an output side, which runs to the temperature sensor. Ground that output side and see if the gauge moves. If it does, then the gauge is OK.

Next, ground the terminal of the temperature sensor. If the gauge moves again, then the problem is the sensor. If the gauge doesn't move, then the problem is likely the wire somewhere between the gauge and the sensor has gotten broken, or a connector has failed.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”