Stators??

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Stators??

Postby Solina Dave » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:16 pm

I'm not sure if I'm stepping on any toes here, regarding different suppliers, but I guess there's only one way to find out. So here it goes.
I've got a '78 GL1000 that needs a new stator. I've pretty well narrowed it down to three suppliers, each with a competitive price. But I have a couple of things that I need comments on, or possibly technical advice.
Randackk seems to have a good unit with a fairly detailed description, but no warranty. Electro Sport has a unit with virtually an identical desription and a 1 year warranty. It also is the only one, of the 3 units, that has some kind of epoxy style coating on the windings. Comments regarding the pros and cons of this coating would be welcome. And lastly, Rick's has what is also probably a good unit, but with very little detail description. Links are below:
http://randakks.com/collections/honda-g ... and-gl1200
http://www.electrosport.com/street-bike ... dwing.html
https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/Ne ... tor-21_102

I would really appreciate it if you could devote some time to reading the descriptions/sales pitches and let me know what you think.
If you were in the market for one of these 3 stators which one would you buy and why would you buy it?

Thanks..............................Dave

Randakk's

Electro Sport

Rick's

"Assume Nothing"

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Re: Stators??

Postby Rednaxs60 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:27 am

Have read several threads regarding stators, primarily between Electrosport and Rick's Motorsport units. These can be ordered through Fortnine in Canada (the old Canada's motorcycle) and are approximately $200.00 and $250.00 CDN respectively. Talk to Fortnine regarding warranty as this company is a distributor. Pros and cons for both. Randakks not a lot said, but the wire leads look heavier than the other two - a phone call may be in order. The Electrosport also has epoxied windings that I think is a good thing. Also have to look at exchange, taxes and duty as well if ordering through the US.

Lots to consider.

Good luck. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:33 am

Rednaxs60 wrote:Have read several threads regarding stators, primarily between Electrosport and Rick's Motorsport units. These can be ordered through Fortnine in Canada (the old Canada's motorcycle) and are approximately $200.00 and $250.00 CDN respectively. Talk to Fortnine regarding warranty as this company is a distributor. Pros and cons for both. Randakks not a lot said, but the wire leads look heavier than the other two - a phone call may be in order. The Electrosport also has epoxied windings that I think is a good thing. Also have to look at exchange, taxes and duty as well if ordering through the US.

Lots to consider.

Good luck. Cheers

I've made purchases through Canada's Motorcycle/FortNine several times, mainly tires, and I've had no complaints. Their description would appear to indicate that both their ElectroSport stator ($200 Cdn), with a 1 year mfg. warranty, and Rick's Motorsport stator ($204 Cdn.), with a 1 year replacement warranty, are covered. Randakk's quite specific that there are NO returns/exchanges or refunds. (approx. $185 Cdn. delivered)
I prefer to have, as opposed to making phone calls, as much information about the product I'm considering in print, so that I can comparison shop on-line.
Having said that, Rick's ad, technically speaking, is telling me virtually nothing. And they seem to be counting on me to take their word for it, that their stator's the one I should pick. They provide next to no product information about the stator. Also, a very large portion of the information provided by Randakk's and ElectroSport, on their sites, is essentially identical in its wording. Why is that? Are their products identically sourced? It tends to leave me confused, and somewhat skeptical. They both talk about their stators having 20% more output, and cores with very low magnetic resistance, etc. etc.
One thing that I would like to know is what advantage is being served by the epoxy coating on the ElectroSport stator. So if anyone knows the answer to that, I'd be interested. Thanks!
I might be overdoing it a bit with all of this, but it gives me something to yap about. :lol:

Comments???............................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

chrisz
Motorcycle: Honda GL1100 year 1983
Triumph Tiger 1050 year 2008

Postby chrisz » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:45 am

I'm in aerospace business and we manufacture stators for some of our products, and based on the photos Dave provided I would suggest going with the Electosport unit as it appears in the photo to have the windings epoxies. This for me is important when considering vibrations the bike will encounter (or rocket ship during launch).

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:42 am

This link, http://www.instructables.com/id/Rebuild ... ve-stator/ , provides a path to an interesting exercise it stator re-winding. I'd certainly have to give this gentleman, and anyone else for that matter willing to give it a go, a lot of respect for their enthusiasm and patience.
Having said that, I personally would be more inclined if possible, to save-up the money and buy one.

But that may just be me.........................Dave :D

"Assume Nothing"

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”