New old wing

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Johnny z
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

New old wing

Post by Johnny z » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Hi, I just picked up a sweet '76 wing with 9500 miles on it! all complete and original. I wanted to know where would be the best place to get a couple things-looking for new timing belts, and a new pair of tensioners. The other places ive shopped (babbitts, Honda parts house) do not list the year only stopping at 1977. If you could let me know who is the best source for parts I would appreciate it. The tires on this bike are continentals, they look real real cool, but I would like to replace them mostly due to their age. I would like to get a new set just like the originals, let me know where I can find something like that or a close cousin. Thanks for your help-Johnny z

SnoBrdr

129K Original Owner

Re: New old wing

Post by SnoBrdr » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:12 pm

Johnny z wrote:Hi, I just picked up a sweet '76 wing with 9500 miles on it! all complete and original. I wanted to know where would be the best place to get a couple things-looking for new timing belts, and a new pair of tensioners. The other places ive shopped (babbitts, Honda parts house) do not list the year only stopping at 1977. If you could let me know who is the best source for parts I would appreciate it. The tires on this bike are continentals, they look real real cool, but I would like to replace them mostly due to their age. I would like to get a new set just like the originals, let me know where I can find something like that or a close cousin. Thanks for your help-Johnny z
Best place to get the belts are at RockAuto.com. They are in fact Gates belts.

Gates T274 or NAPA 250274. They are like $16 each at RA.

The tensioners can be rebuilt for about half the cost of new ones.

Here is a listing of the timing parts for your bike: http://www.beechmontms.net/oempartfinde ... E13371001B

Very few companies make tires in our size.

I've been using the Bridgestone Spitfires for the last few changes.

You can just Google for the Contis.

Johnny z

Post by Johnny z » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:44 am

Thanks for the tip on the belts, just picked them up yesterday from my local NAPA store. You had mentioned that the tensioners can be rebuilt. I looked at an extra used set I have, and I do not understand how to take them apart without destroying them. Can you share a little expertise on this and explain how I can get to the bearing to replace it? I assume this is the extent of rebuilding them, is to replace the bearing? Thanks again for all the info.

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Post by Maz » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:13 pm

Johnny z wrote:Thanks for the tip on the belts, just picked them up yesterday from my local NAPA store. You had mentioned that the tensioners can be rebuilt. I looked at an extra used set I have, and I do not understand how to take them apart without destroying them. Can you share a little expertise on this and explain how I can get to the bearing to replace it? I assume this is the extent of rebuilding them, is to replace the bearing? Thanks again for all the info.
The general consensus is to keep the backing plate and throw the wheel/bearing in the bin, after drilling it off. A Hyundai tensioner wheel is then bolted to the plate using a large countersunk Bolt. Cost about £13 per tensioner, so about $16.
Maz

Nostalgia is not what it used to be!