Foot pegs and shifter..

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
BSArider
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000
07 Suzuki Bandit
61 BSA A10
71 Norton Commando

Foot pegs and shifter..

Post by BSArider » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:12 am

I finally got to take my first ride on my 78 GL1000 after waking it up from a 10 year sleep. Everything seems OK-did not go far or fast as it's not registered yet and I still have not installed new tires.
First impressions:
1) It's a torque monster! Doesn't seem to care too much what gear you're in when you wind the throttle.
2)Slow speed handling is pretty ponderous compared to what I usually ride.
3) The floorboards and heel/toe shifter SUCK!. I'm somewhat vertically challenged and having to get my legs out beyond the boards to touch ground makes it that much worse. I also don't like having to lift my foot off the board in order to shift or brake.
Anybody want to trade a stock set of pegs and shifter lever for a set of Triple A boards and mounts?

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Foot pegs and shifter..

Post by SnoBrdr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:41 pm

BSArider wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:12 am
I finally got to take my first ride on my 78 GL1000 after waking it up from a 10 year sleep. Everything seems OK-did not go far or fast as it's not registered yet and I still have not installed new tires.
First impressions:
1) It's a torque monster! Doesn't seem to care too much what gear you're in when you wind the throttle.
3) The floorboards and heel/toe shifter SUCK!. I'm somewhat vertically challenged and having to get my legs out beyond the boards to touch ground makes it that much worse. I also don't like having to lift my foot off the board in order to shift or brake.
Anybody want to trade a stock set of pegs and shifter lever for a set of Triple A boards and mounts?
You can usually find those cheap on EBay.

BlueThunder
Motorcycle: 2014 CTX1300 Deluxe (BlackThunder aka Predator)
1977 GL1000 (Ox)
1980 CB750F (BlueThunder)

Re: Foot pegs and shifter..

Post by BlueThunder » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:49 pm

BSArider wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:12 am
First impressions:
Yes I agree that floorboards are not what they are cracked up to be. I never could get used to them or a heel/toe shifter. I removed them the first chance I got and replaced them with stock pegs. As a side note, one has to be careful using the heel to shift. Too much pressure (as in "stomping down") may bend the shift forks leading to a bigger PITA.
_____
Brian

2014 Honda CTX1300 (BlackThunder aka Predator)
1977 Honda GL1000 (Ox)
1980 Honda CB750F (BlueThunder)
1982 Honda CB900F (RedThunder)