Need an ignition switch for a '75

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Bertbart
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Need an ignition switch for a '75

Postby Bertbart » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:03 am

I picked up a '75 yesterday. I saw it running before I bought it. The guy said the battery didn't go with it. I bought a battery last night. I pulled the Vetter off of it. The wiring was a mess. It looked like "Billy Bob" got his first terminal connector kit and some wire and went crazy. It has a radio/casette player, CB radio at one time an must have had extra running lights every where.

It had the usual fried stator connector. I soldered that up stuck the battery in and went to turn the key on and the key turned 360 degrees and never would turn on. Is there a way to repair it or should I buy a used ignition switch or just spring for a new one.

If anyone has a good used switch with a key please let me know.
Also how do you pull the ignition switch...I haven't bought a manual yet.

Bert

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: Need an ignition switch for a '75

Postby Placerville » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:00 am

Buy a new ignition switch unless you want more problems in the future. They are available on-line at various outlets. http://www.crescentmooncycles.com/ is just one. Shop manuals and owners manuals are available on-line as well.

My advise to you is to first go to http://www.randakks.com/ and start reading. Don't stop until you reach the end. Almost every piece of advice you need for your GL is available from Randakks. Also, join http://www.ngwclub.com/ and start visiting/reading the site. Ask questions, they'll help. To remove the ignition switch, start by removing the 4 screws that hold the instrument panel in place and go from there. Last but not least, change your timing belts if you cannot positively say, without a doubt, that they've been changed within the last 5 years. Make this your first repair after you get it running and don't ride it until they're changed.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Bertbart

Postby Bertbart » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions. I appreciate it.

sfruechte

Postby sfruechte » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:25 pm

You can buy just the ignition switch contacts for under $10 online at several sites.

The timing belts aren't quite as fragile as many think, I just replaced the originals on my 77 with 216,000 on them this summer. I did however inspect and retention them many times over the 33 years.

Bertbart

Postby Bertbart » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:18 pm

sfruechte wrote:You can buy just the ignition switch contacts for under $10 online at several sites.

The timing belts aren't quite as fragile as many think, I just replaced the originals on my 77 with 216,000 on them this summer. I did however inspect and retention them many times over the 33 years.

The contacts are not the problem it's in the key tumblers of the switch. You put the key in and it will rotate 360 degrees in either direction. I suppose if I go to the trouble to inspect the belts by removing the cover I might as well change the belts unless they appear to be new.

Thank you for the tips.

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:25 pm

It's not what ''I" think, it's the general consensus within the circle of early GL experts that exist today. One of them, Randall Washington http://www.randakks.com/TechTip40.htm, uses this time line (5 years or 25K miles) at his site. I know of no good reason to dispute a person with his credentials.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

sfruechte

Postby sfruechte » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:49 pm

No need for drama, just relaying my experience. Honda the manufacturer specifies in the shop manual to 'inspect' the belts at top end overhaul and it goes on to show how to do it. I had to remove the pulley to replace a cam seal so I replaced the belts while I was in there, they still looked good and I cannot break them by hand. I know it's a very emotional subject for many but it's no excuse to not ride just because you don't have new belts.

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:11 pm

"Drama, emotional"? .... :roll:

Everyone has opinions. Let's play nice, shall we?
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

78AzWing
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 UnDressed and Progressively Weber Carbureted

Postby 78AzWing » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:57 am

The belts will fail with out any warning at all.

They may look brand new and you end up walking next week because one of them broke and took out the valves on one side of your engine.

It is better to replace them and KNOW they are good, instead of just looking at them a then spend a goodly portion of your riding day wondering if they will fail.

Just my humble Tupence worth.
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons
For thee are Krunchie and taste goode with Ketchup!

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:55 pm

Regardless of the vehicle they are fitted to, you CANNOT tell the condition of a timing belt by looking at it. Modern timing belts have Kevlar or glass-fibre inserts; they do not stretch therefore should not need re-tensioning at any time.
Also consider that the available belts are mostly rated to 6000 rpm. How many of you regularly go over that? I know I do!
If the bike has been sitting for a considerable time, the belts will take a set.
It bears repeating;
If you don't positively know the history of the belts, change them NOW.
If you do know the history and it's been five years of use, 25000 miles or it's been sitting a while, change them NOW!
New belts are very cheap insurance compared with the cost of repairing the damage caused buy having one let go, for the sake of not a lot of money or about two hours of your time.

A true story. My mate last year did a 1000 mile round trip to pick up a bike; ran it half a mile down the road when he got home and blew the engine when a belt let go!
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

Bertbart

Postby Bertbart » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:54 am

I went to naked wings site and someone sold me a used ignition switch complete with a key and matching lid lock. After some cleaning of the tumblers it operates great. The old switch had been tampered with and the stainless sleeve had been off as the retaining pin was missing.

I did not mean to start a rant between folks on timing belts. I will change them before I ride.

Thanks to all who replied.

Bert

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:36 am

My apologies if what I said came across as a 'rant'! :(

New folk join this site constantly; a lot of them will not have had anything to do with Goldwings before this. I felt this was an opportunity to get across to anyone who hadn't done their research on their new-to-them machine just how important the belts are.
On NGW it is almost a point of honour to be the first , when a new member come on, to post 'change the belts'. :D
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

sfruechte

Postby sfruechte » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:23 am

If anybody is actually changing their belts every 5 years or 25,000 miles, I'd like your old belts.

78AzWing
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 UnDressed and Progressively Weber Carbureted

Postby 78AzWing » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:14 pm

Why? :shock:
You starting a collection? :ugeek:
Don't put them on your 'Wing unless you really want a 176 pound anchor or something. :mrgreen:

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons
For thee are Krunchie and taste goode with Ketchup!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”