Engine removal from frame?


Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
User avatar
swr1977
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington, USA
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000
Contact:

Engine removal from frame?

Post by swr1977 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:31 am



I am currently in middle of project to fix several things on my 1978 GL1000. The next step I need to do is remove the engine block from the frame but it looks like I won't have clearance to get it out unless I remove fuel tank! Is that correct? If I don't have to remove the tank what is the best way to get it out?

If you look the first picture the you'll see the engine hangs below frame approximately 2-3" and there is only about 1" clearance between the top of the engine and fuel tank.
Attachments

Engine hangs below frame approximately 2-3"
Engine hangs below frame approximately 2-3"


View from Left side
View from Left side


View from Right side
View from Right side


Top Of Engine -> Fuel tank approximately 1"
Top Of Engine -> Fuel tank approximately 1"



For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

User avatar
Maz
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Kent, UK
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: Engine removal from frame?

Post by Maz » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:44 pm

The left side lower frame tube is removable to allow the engine room to slide out.
Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

User avatar
swr1977
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington, USA
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000
Contact:

Re: Engine removal from frame?

Post by swr1977 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:07 am

Maz wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:44 pm
The left side lower frame tube is removable to allow the engine room to slide out.
Maz
Thanks
For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

User avatar
swr1977
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington, USA
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000
Contact:

Re: Engine removal from frame?

Post by swr1977 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:23 pm

Do I have to remove the swinging arm fork and drive shaft from the back of engine & frame in order to take engine out of the frame? Or will there be clearance to slide the drive shaft off end of main output gear without removing it?
Attachments


For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

SnoBrdr
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Engine removal from frame?

Post by SnoBrdr » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:04 pm

swr1977 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:23 pm
Do I have to remove the swinging arm fork and drive shaft from the back of engine & frame in order to take engine out of the frame? Or will there be clearance to slide the drive shaft off end of main output gear without removing it?
I've never seen or heard of anyone pulling the engine w the drive shaft attached.

User avatar
swr1977
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington, USA
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000
Contact:

Re: Engine removal from frame?

Post by swr1977 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:07 pm

SnoBrdr wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:04 pm
I've never seen or heard of anyone pulling the engine w the drive shaft attached.
So how & where do I disconnect it?
For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

User avatar
Maz
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Kent, UK
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: Engine removal from frame?

Post by Maz » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:54 am

swr1977 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:07 pm
SnoBrdr wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:04 pm
I've never seen or heard of anyone pulling the engine w the drive shaft attached.
So how & where do I disconnect it?
Rear, right hand side of engine. Pull back the rubber gaiter on the driveshaft housing. Find a pair of long, right-angled circlip (snap ring?) pliers and a good torch and then try to locate the two tiny holes in the circlip, which is located on the end of the gearbox shaft, inside the UJ cage, to fit the pliers into. Basically, once you've removed the circlip, the engine and driveshaft can be parted easily. I would set aside a few hours just to get the damn circlip off and make sure no women or children are around to hear the cursing!!
Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

SnoBrdr
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Engine removal from frame?

Post by SnoBrdr » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:43 am

Maz wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:54 am
swr1977 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:07 pm
SnoBrdr wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:04 pm
I've never seen or heard of anyone pulling the engine w the drive shaft attached.
So how & where do I disconnect it?
Rear, right hand side of engine. Pull back the rubber gaiter on the driveshaft housing. Find a pair of long, right-angled circlip (snap ring?) pliers and a good torch and then try to locate the two tiny holes in the circlip, which is located on the end of the gearbox shaft, inside the UJ cage, to fit the pliers into. Basically, once you've removed the circlip, the engine and driveshaft can be parted easily. I would set aside a few hours just to get the damn circlip off and make sure no women or children are around to hear the cursing!!
Maz
By torch you mean a light I take it.

Has a very different meaning here.

User avatar
Maz
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Kent, UK
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: Engine removal from frame?

Post by Maz » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:29 am

SnoBrdr wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:43 am
Maz wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:54 am
swr1977 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:07 pm


So how & where do I disconnect it?
Rear, right hand side of engine. Pull back the rubber gaiter on the driveshaft housing. Find a pair of long, right-angled circlip (snap ring?) pliers and a good torch and then try to locate the two tiny holes in the circlip, which is located on the end of the gearbox shaft, inside the UJ cage, to fit the pliers into. Basically, once you've removed the circlip, the engine and driveshaft can be parted easily. I would set aside a few hours just to get the damn circlip off and make sure no women or children are around to hear the cursing!!
Maz
By torch you mean a light I take it.

Has a very different meaning here.
:D Yeah, I guess I should say flashlight......although I nearly resorted to a torch after trying to get that clip off!! :lol:
Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

User avatar
swr1977
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington, USA
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000
Contact:

Re: Engine removal from frame?

Post by swr1977 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:51 am

OK finally have time to get back to this project... Guess I'm going to go buy a set of right-angle slip/snap ring pliers! This sucks... Very tight clearance to do anything! Does anyone have any suggestions on doing this? See pictures!
Attachments

rubber boot covering main output shaft & drive line U joint
rubber boot covering main output shaft & drive line U joint


Where slip ring connection is
Where slip ring connection is

For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

User avatar
Maz
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Kent, UK
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: Engine removal from frame?

Post by Maz » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:53 pm

Thoroughly de-grease the area first, to find the two holes in the clip. Then, just patience, time and swearing.
Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

User avatar
swr1977
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington, USA
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000
Contact:

Re: Engine removal from frame?

Post by swr1977 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:54 am

Maz wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:53 pm
Thoroughly de-grease the area first, to find the two holes in the clip. Then, just patience, time and swearing.
Maz
No swearing required, just patience! Took me 3-4 tries but I got it! Now when I get help tomorrow in the form of an extra set of hands I'll get the engine removed from the frame!

Thanks for the advise!
Attachments


For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

SnoBrdr
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Engine removal from frame?

Post by SnoBrdr » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:43 am

swr1977 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:54 am
Maz wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:53 pm
Thoroughly de-grease the area first, to find the two holes in the clip. Then, just patience, time and swearing.
Maz
No swearing required, just patience! Took me 3-4 tries but I got it! Now when I get help tomorrow in the form of an extra set of hands I'll get the engine removed from the frame!

Thanks for the advise!
What do you plan to use to actually remove the engine from the frame.

I've done plenty of cars but never a bike engine like these.

User avatar
Maz
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Kent, UK
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: Engine removal from frame?

Post by Maz » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:15 pm

I used a Trolley Jack (is it called that in the US?) with a 12" piece of 2 X 4 bolted to where the pad should be. The bottom of these engines is nice and flat and sits on the Jack securely. Just slides out to the left.
Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

User avatar
swr1977
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington, USA
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000
Contact:

Re: Engine removal from frame?

Post by swr1977 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:47 am

Maz wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:15 pm
I used a Trolley Jack (is it called that in the US?) with a 12" piece of 2 X 4 bolted to where the pad should be. The bottom of these engines is nice and flat and sits on the Jack securely. Just slides out to the left.
Maz
I plan on using the same only with a square piece of plywood. If I have time I'll take a few pictures and post when done later today.
For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

User avatar
DenverWinger
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:20 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Motorcycle: 1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500A Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)

Re: Engine removal from frame?

Post by DenverWinger » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:40 am

swr1977 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:54 am
Maz wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:53 pm
Thoroughly de-grease the area first, to find the two holes in the clip. Then, just patience, time and swearing.
Maz
No swearing required, just patience! Took me 3-4 tries but I got it! Now when I get help tomorrow in the form of an extra set of hands I'll get the engine removed from the frame!

Thanks for the advise!
Just wait 'til the time comes to put it back on...... :o :x
They say 98% of all Hardleys ever made are still on the road..... The other 2% made it home. :lol:
(I stole this from somebody on another GW site...) :roll:

User avatar
swr1977
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington, USA
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000
Contact:

Re: Engine removal from frame?

Post by swr1977 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:12 pm

SnoBrdr wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:43 am
What do you plan to use to actually remove the engine from the frame.

I've done plenty of cars but never a bike engine like these.
Maz wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:15 pm
I used a Trolley Jack (is it called that in the US?) with a 12" piece of 2 X 4 bolted to where the pad should be. The bottom of these engines is nice and flat and sits on the Jack securely. Just slides out to the left.
Maz
That is exactly what I used... See Pictures

Here are just few other suggestions/problems I ran into as I was removing the engine from the frame...

#1 ...I didn't notice I needed to disconnect the three yellow wires coming from the back of the motor (AC Generator) going to the rectifier until I had the engine loose and sitting on the jack. Do NOT try to remove the slip-ring from the back of the engine. Look for quick disconnects in the wiring bundle next to the rectifier. A previous owner at some point did some rewiring and wired them with no quick disconnects to the rectifier so I just cut them at the splice and will have to re-splice them later!

#2 ...The previous owner put in electronic ignition and used one of the rear case bolts to ground it so I had to disconnect it before I could slide the engine out!

#3 ...Last but not least the neutral wire can not be disconnected until you have the engine sitting on the jack separated from the frame!
Attachments

2 ton Jack
2 ton Jack


neutral wire (Right side of engine)
neutral wire (Right side of engine)


where neutral wire went after I disconnected it (Right side of engine)
where neutral wire went after I disconnected it (Right side of engine)


AC Generator wires (Left Rear side of engine)
AC Generator wires (Left Rear side of engine)


AC Generator wires (Left Rear side of engine)
AC Generator wires (Left Rear side of engine)


AC Generator wires (next to rectifier)
AC Generator wires (next to rectifier)

For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 18215
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Engine removal from frame?

Post by WingAdmin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:33 am

If you can't get the driveshaft free, you can use the trick I used for my GL1500: Remove the right side swingarm pivot pin. Then push the swingarm to the left, which will open the gap and allow you to slide the driveshaft off the spline. I managed to change out the U-joint in my GL1500 this way without removing the swingarm.

User avatar
swr1977
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington, USA
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000
Contact:

Re: Engine removal from frame?

Post by swr1977 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:58 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:33 am
If you can't get the driveshaft free, you can use the trick I used for my GL1500: Remove the right side swingarm pivot pin. Then push the swingarm to the left, which will open the gap and allow you to slide the driveshaft off the spline. I managed to change out the U-joint in my GL1500 this way without removing the swingarm.

Thanks for the tip! I got her out no problem just took a bit of work. Here are some pics after I removed it from the frame.

Now to just get her back into shape... I have to swap timing belts... replace a gasket between the left rear timing cover and head. Fix the clutch on the starter. Oh and I'm going to have the carbs rebuilt. Just to name a few things. #3 was running a bit rich and I've noticed some carbon build up so I might break her down and do a ring/value job. Lots to do this winter!

Can anyone tell me what the mileage is/should be when it's time to change piston rings? Right now the old gal says she's at 89K
Attachments










For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

Post Reply